My Quadcopter UAV Build

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Hey congrats track. I was wondering why you needed such heavy wires but apparently that itself is not enough?

Also the gyro is a mechanical ring gyro?

What is the weight of the copter?

trackwhack

total weight 980 grams. Payload capacity is another 1200 grams :). It is a chip based MEMS gyro. In fact three separate gyros for pitch, yaw and roll.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
total weight 980 grams. Payload capacity is another 1200 grams :). It is a chip based MEMS gyro. In fact three separate gyros for pitch, yaw and roll.
So what is missing, the Radio control is fixed?

Looks like you or someone with you did throttle the motor?

How many of you guys doing that anyway?

trackwhack

Its just me. Nothing is missing, right now based on my analysis, it is very top heavy, The CG is currently above the plane of the propellers making it very unstable. the plan is to shift one of the levels below the arms thereby lowering the CG, but that plan has its own design issues. still contemplating what to do and waiting for new higher guage wires that can handle 120 Amps of current :lol:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Well the camera was following the movement that is why is asked.

Anyway what are the balloon type stuff are the sensors?

Next time take it out and tie a string at the bottom so you can control it like a Kite! :D

trackwhack

Well the camera was following the movement that is why is asked.

Anyway what are the balloon type stuff are the sensors?

Next time take it out and tie a string at the bottom so you can control it like a Kite! :D
Oh the video was taken by my girlfriend. I cant trust her with the controls. The props can take your eye out if you are not careful. the motors are rated at 30000 rpm no load and I got 18000 rpm with load.

Ewald, yes I have basically depended on info from hobby forums.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Dude watch out for the props man or you may have a one eyed girl friend! lol..

How long before you bolt the Radio controls on it?

I recommend tieing a string so you can fly it outside.

trackwhack

Dude watch out for the props man or you may have a one eyed girl friend! lol..

How long before you bolt the Radio controls on it?

I recommend tieing a string so you can fly it outside.
The radio receiver is already on it man. In one hand I have the transmitter and the other I am holding down the quad.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
The radio receiver is already on it man. In one hand I have the transmitter and the other I am holding down the quad.
So what is left to do? The Gyros basically ensure the Quad hovers like a boss? :p

So for that you need to keep tweaking the motor speed on each wing? There should be an easier way, add weights or magnets!

trackwhack

Ok so the issue is that the CG being too high, any instability results in a big gyro correction. This is resulting in abrupt changes to the propeller speeds resulting in more instability. Basically the change in thrust of the props is not fine enough to compensate for the shift in center of mass and center of gravity when the corrections are made.

The solution I am thinking off is to send one layer of the quad below the arms thereby lowering the cg. This may not even work, but I'd like to try this first. If this fails my only option is to change the props and the motors to slow flyer props. Slow flyers basically operate within 3000 rpm. It will make less abrupt changes in thrust with minute changes in RPM hence it achieves a neutral hovering mode faster.

This is all based on current analysis of the behavior of the quad. I expect a few more months before I can get this to fly perfectly.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
That sounds like the issue, you could bend the angle to make the Shafts to be higher! I am not sure if your current set up would allow that.

trackwhack

That sounds like the issue, you could bend the angle to make the Shafts to be higher! I am not sure if your current set up would allow that.
Thats a nice design thought indeed, but yes my current setup wont allow that as the arms are routed in through a non flexible 5 way router. But I sure can use that design approach on the next build.

trackwhack

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I find that really weird and offensive to other pet lovers, Anyways back to topic..

Global Defence

Articles