My Quadcopter UAV Build

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Any more updates track whack? I would like to see this flying.

Blackwater

I think u are just assembling parts available in markets easily. Not a big deal. anyhow good luck

trackwhack

Five carbon fiber plates for the main shell and motor mounts 4x4 inches each.

Cut one open to mount the 5 Way router

Router mounted and Zip tied :)

trackwhack

Arms fixed. The extra holes drilled are to fix the Brushless motor speed controllers

Getting ugly :) the speed controllers mounted with more Zip Ties

trackwhack

Now for the motor mounts. I cut up two of the carbon plates to smaller sizes for the four mounts. Then drilled holes in them to fix to the arms with c Clamps.

Then a slot that allows the motor shaft through

And four smaller holes to bolt the motor onto

The motor fixed to the mounts

And a sample of it mounted on the arm

trackwhack

Final assembly

This is the entire arm

And all four arms with the motors mounted

Notice the wiring from the motors have been routed through the tubes, through the 5 way router and up.

Nylon standoffs added to support the second floor

Second plate mounted on the standoff's and battery mounted. Standoff for the final plate also added.

Getting really messy with the wiring now. My soldering skills are so pathetic, I had to disassemble many times and redo. But finally got everything right.

PCB standoffs for the controller board mounted on the topmost plate

trackwhack

Almost done

The only thing left to do now is to mount the radio receiver and connect it. And thats when I realized I hadn't got the required JR connectors. A small 2 dollar part is now holding me up. Just placed the order and have to wait 4 days before it arrives. Was really pissed off with myself for overlooking that.

I wanted to complete assembly and test it today but now I have to wait another weekend before testing. I then realized that I was only adhering to DRDO timelines :) :lol:
So anyway, hope to complete this and get it flying the coming weekend.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Why am i seeing this thread for the first time now ?

trackwhack

Test flights commenced.

First flight was a disaster as the battery I was using was inadequate, one of the motors switched off and the quad just flipped right after take-off and landed on its head. Thankfully only broke two of the propellers and the rest of the body was almost intact. Took the weekend to fix some safety props and installing the new battery and did a controlled indoor test flight. Nothing impressive but take my word for it, this is not simple. Its very twitchy and just wants to take off. I still have to learn how to control this hence this video can hardly be called a test flight. I am just happy that the quad is putting enough thrust to lift itself very easily indeed. (GF vimeo ID :))

[video=vimeo;39610128]http://vimeo.com/39610128[/video]

The current usage is so high that it literally melted the wiring, so I have to buy higher rated wires and redo this part but thats just a small part.

The tough part about controlling a quad is that is has all three degrees of freedom hence I can move it up down, left or right, forward or backward and finally spin about its own axis. The reason for the current instability is that the gyros now need to be fine tuned so that it can first hover about a fixed point without any movement along its three axis. Right now the gyro gain settings are not fine tuned so the quad is very unstable and hence my hand comes into the picture to hold it from coming to get me. :)

So far this has been a tremendous learning experience. Next steps would be to stabilize the controls, learn to fly the damn thing and drive out to an open place where I can test it. I also need to build a landing gear for it which I have been putting off. :lol:. Later I got to mount a camera and then try to fly it in first person view. Loong Loong way to go. Thanks for following.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Nice attempt trackwhack. At least you know it flies. How do you control the speed of Gyros - do they come with some settings which can be changed?. And also how you are going to control the flying once you get the quadcopter stabilized?. Do you have any standard remote control software bought from the market?.

trackwhack

DD I am using a very cheap Transmitter receiver bought for $30. It has 4 channels. Each channel controls one aspect of the movement.

1) up down
2) left right
3) front back
4) rotate about axis.

The gyros on the controller board has gain settings that I have to keep resetting through trial and error until I get it right. One of the lessons I learnt was the choice of propeller which I had written about at first. I am using fast flyer propellers which are extremely sensitive and a slight change in prop speed results in a big impact on the quad stability. I now understand why most people prefer slow flyer propellers. However I get way more thrust using a fast prop with a high speed motor like the ones I am using.

This is going to take a lot more time before I can get this thing to fly right, but trust me its a lot more fun building one and learning this rather than spend $300 buying one off the shelf. Anyway my purpose was to learn so that I can build a much larger one later on. Hoping it goes as planned.

btw, who noticed the Johny walker black label 1.75 ltr in the background. it was not left there on purpose, I swear. :lol:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles