My mother told me the words I used on ordinance were wrong: Amul Baby

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by dealwithit, Oct 3, 2013.

1. dealwithit

dealwithit Regular Member

My mother told me the words I used on ordinance were wrong: Amul Baby

Rahul Gandhi defended his intervention on the ordinance that sought to protect convicted lawmakers from disqualification saying his "feelings and intention were genuine but the words and language he used were wrong."

"My mother told me that the words that I used were strong. In hindsight, I feel maybe my words were wrong...but the sentiment I felt was not wrong," he said, justifying his stand on the ordinance which, subsequent to his public intervention, was withdrawn but left the government and his party embarrassed.
    related story
    Cabinet succumbed to 'dynastic' pressure, says BJP

The Congress vice-president said this during an informal media interaction in Ahmedabad, Gujarat where he is on a two day tour to interact with block and district level Congress leaders in the state, considered this is a strong turf of Narendra Modi, chief minister and BJP's prime ministerial nominee.

"I always speak from my heart," he said, adding, "I have the right to voice my opinion and a large part of the Congress party wanted the same stand of withdrawal of ordinance."

On the Congress party's fifth consecutive defeat in the December 2012 state assembly polls in Gujarat, he said, "The defeat was not because of a powerful BJP but due to internal bickering and infighting in the state unit."

"Why am I being penalised for raising my voice on something that was wrong? Was I wrong?", Rahul said, apparently hinting at opposition BJP, besides some UPA allies, including Sharad Pawar's NCP and Farooq Abdullah's National Conference which had reportedly criticised the events that led to the reversal of the cabinet's decision.

"My point is detrimental to our allies," Rahul said when suggested RJD chief Lalu Prasad, jailed in a fodder scam case, would be the most unhappy person after what the Congress vice-president did to thwart the ordinance.

Mulayam Singh Yadav's Samajwadi Party, which is supporting the UPA government from outside, had openly criticised rescinding of the ordinace.

Main opposition BJP has been most vocal and even demanded the resignation of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, saying Rahul's outburst against the ordinance, which he had called "nonsense" and should be "torn up and thrown away", had undermined his authority.

"I spoke my mind on the issue, it is amazing to see reactions to it. I am flabbergasted," he said.

Earlier, the Congress leader began his tour with a small visit to Mahatma Gandhi's Sabarmati Ashram in Ahmedabad. After spending half-an-hour in the ashram, he wrote in the visitor’s book, “Its always an honour for me to come to the ashram. I am a follower of Gandhi and his ideas. Thank you!."

Later on, he reached the state Congress headquarters where he interacted with Congress leaders from South and Central Gujarat areas.

During his interaction, the state Congress leaders were kept put while Congress affairs in charge Gurudas Kamat was present. During his interaction, he reportedly asked the local Congressmen why the party was not able to snatch away just 5% vote share from the BJP in Gujarat, which has been ruling the state since 1998.

He also attended a meeting of NSUI, students wing of the Congress, in Ahmedabad wherein he asked the NSUI leaders to focus on reaching out to the people in urban and rural areas.

On Thursday, he will visit Rajkot to hold the similar exercise of meeting Congress leaders from Saurashtra.

TrueSpirit likes this.
  3. Defcon 1

Defcon 1 Senior Member Senior Member

Re: My mother told me the words I used on ordinance were wrong: Amul B

no link, changed title, DFI is the most authoritative Indian defence forum. Good going. Hope your parents are proud when they hear "Amul Baby" out of your mouth.

4. angeldude13

angeldude13 Lestat De Lioncourt Senior Member

why don't you ignore these kind of threads.

i started to ignore them a long time ago.
    i mean you can read if you want and laugh on the stupidity of the content but why react when you know that the thread isn't worth replying :gangnam:

parijataka and W.G.Ewald like this.
  5. Defcon 1

Because I am coming back from a lecture by former railway minister Dinesh Trivedi today and he really said some good things about politics in India. I wanted to post them here, I wanted to discuss how political system of India can be improved, instead I come here and find this. @Yusuf says politics shapes defence of the nation so it is important, tell me how can we truly have a good discussion unless we are able to rise above partisan politics? Why can't be we be more than Congress or BJP supporters? Can't we present our views without feeling the need of name calling vice presidents of other parties? Are we so low? Has our country fallen to such a low level?

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    Yusuf, sayareakd, dealwithit and 3 others like this.
  6. Decklander

Decklander New Member

I really do not know whether we can have this guy as our PM he still needs the help of his mother at night to go to toilet? My son is going to be 12 yrs on 31st Dec 2013 and he is completely independent. he does not need the help of my wife for his laundry and washing his backside after shit. Amul Baby and the entire cabinet shits and Amul baby runs to his mother to get his backside washed. What a shame to anyone who calls this idiot their leader. They shud better go and lick the backside of an ass bcoz an ass has slightly more brains than an average congressmen and the people who support them and much more than anyone who calls himself Gandhi from a dynasty of Chacha Rangila. Congress is a dynasty which is Nasty for this nation.

7. TrueSpirit

TrueSpirit Senior Member Senior Member

Are you really this uncomfortable with partisan politics when the BJP is the target? Or, is your moral-uprightness a sporadic phenomena exhibiting itself only when Nehru-Gandhi family is questioned ?

If you really have something worthwhile to share, you would do it anyway like many others do (e.g. Vikas Sharma).

But here you arrive in all your holier-than-thou grandeur, & instead of contributing much, start preaching about "meaningful discussion", "questioning the low the country has stooped" & "offering excuses how busy/occupied some intellectuals are" (that they can only whine & preach......)

On DFI, everyone is free to share/express his views within the ambit of forum rules. You too can utilize your ultra-precious minutes in doing something better than demeaning other posters & showing how superior your intellectual faculties are, or how hallowed your political leanings are.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    brain_dead and kseeker like this.
  8. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

BC ,if ur mother still tel u wat to do or not to do then u r useless fellow

9. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

Nautanki sala....Media is going crazy on this idiot's drama over that ordinance. If BJP has done something like this, media must have prepared a year long discussion program.

10. Defcon 1

Again, you cannot even think beyond your rotten mentality. You support only one party, so everyone must also do the same. You cannot even imagine that maybe a person actually wants to see better level of discussion. I said something about modi supporters, so I must be a BJP hater, I must be "sickular".
    That is the word you guys use, don't you?

Answering to your question? my family and me both support BJP, but like educated people, not like street kids as yourself.

I was doing the same, expressing my views within the ambit of forum rules. I am not sure that calling names like "Amul baby" comes under forum rules. maybe it should be clarified whether changing article titles, starting threads on articles without links is allowed as well. If you had read the rules, you would have known that it isn't. But why bother, BJP is being bashed, you have to come to the rescue.

11. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

yeh BC kya hai ji ... ???

12. happy

happy Senior Member Senior Member

An open letter to Rahul Gandhi on 'nonsense ordinance'

Dear Rahulji,

Damned if you do, damned if you don't: as someone who has long advocated in these columns the need for you to speak up, I should be endorsing your parachute "press conference" that has thrown the political class into a tizzy. Sadly, this is one occasion when a quiet nudge might have been a preferable option to noisy grandstanding.

Let me say at the outset, like you, most right thinking Indians believe that the ordinance that would provide a potential reprieve for convicted politicians was 'absolute nonsense'. In fact, we said so on air the very day the union cabinet hurriedly chose to push through the ordinance. Sadly, at the time, every Congress spokesperson on prime time television chose to vigorously defend the government move. Whether out of loyalty or naivete, there appeared to be a yawning gap between the party and government which was cruelly exposed in the ordinance fiasco.

Which brings me to a central question: who is the Congress party today? Is it not the core group which meets every week under the stewardship of the Congress president? Is it not true that the ordinance was given a green signal at a meeting attended by the entire Congress top brass, including your mother Sonia Gandhi? Either you were not aware of this meeting, or, if you were, then you chose not to intervene till matters reached a stage where a public retreat was the only way out to save face.

In recent months, there has been much talk of a generational divide within the Congress: of an 'older' Congress which is resistant to change and would like to protect old 'loyal' allies like Lalu Prasad while a 'younger' Congress led by you wants to break free from the shackles of the past. Is it possible that in this battle between the old order and the new, you forgot that collateral damage was being caused to your own government and prime minister Dr Manmohan Singh?

Which brings me to the second central question: has Dr Singh, with his dignified but timid leadership outlived his utility for the brash and restless new Congress? You have said on more than one occasion that you have enormous respect for the prime minister. Last week's public intervention though has left me wondering if being openly contemptuous of a decision taken by the cabinet headed by Dr Singh sends out just the opposite message. Since you are fond of corporate analogies, let me ask: could any chairman of a company openly castigate his CEO in front of the staff and shareholders without undermining his authority? You have to look no further in this context than your mother. Not once in the last nine years has Soniaji taken a false step publicly that could be interpreted as marginalizing the prime minister.

Maybe, you are less willing to compromise, are more impatient with the status quo. I would appreciate that uncompromising spirit as long as you were consistent about it. For example, after making an impassioned, if scripted speech on the Lokpal in parliament, I have never heard you speak out on the need for stronger anti-corruption legislation. Nor have you spoken up when senior UPA ministers have been confronted with corruption charges. Frankly, the only party which has the moral right to take a stand on corruption at the moment is the Aam Admi Party which was created out of the womb of the Lokpal movement.

The BJP's hypocrisy has been exposed by its conflicting stands on the ordinance inside and outside parliament and by the fact that a convicted minister continues to serve in the Narendra Modi government in Gujarat.

Which brings me to a third, and critical question: do you really want to take on the BJP in a no holds barred political fight or are you more interested in seeking long term systemic change that goes beyond just the 2014 elections? In the last few days, I have heard a strange buzz in the capital's power corridors: that Rahul Gandhi is fighting to lose the next election because he knows that only a comprehensive defeat will give him an opportunity to transform the Congress in his own image. It is almost as if only a double digit tally in the next elections will convince Congressmen to shed the sloth and decay which now afflicts the grand old party.

It's a rather delicious conspiracy theory which is strengthened by your remarks at the Congress's Jaipur convention in January. At that meeting, you had revealed that 'my mother came to my room and cried because she understands power is poison.' To a party for whom power is oxygen, that was perhaps an incongruous statement to make. That the beneficiaries of that very power system applauded you reveals both their duplicity and sycophancy where Congressmen will neither introspect or question their high command any longer.

Which brings me to my final question: do you really want to lead this party in its present form? You have so far studiously rejected any ministerial lure, or attempt to project you as a prime ministerial candidate. Some have seen in this reluctance an unwillingness to get into the rough and tumble of a political akhara. Politics, especially electoral politics, in this country is increasingly about "saam, dam, dand, bhed", a Chanakya-like high stakes sport which can be bloody and immoral. It appears that you wish to stand above it all. Hence, perhaps your 'spontaneous', if ill timed outburst at an ordinance which you clearly saw to be regressive. But can you with the same firmness guarantee that your party will make integrity and not electability the basis for choosing candidates and allies in the future?

Maybe, you are a dreamer, living in an idyllic world which is neatly divided into the good, bad and the ugly. Sadly, contemporary Indian politics is then the wrong place to be.

Read more at: Rajdeep Sardesai's Blog : An open letter to Rahul Gandhi on 'nonsense ordinance'

13. JBH22

JBH22 Senior Member Senior Member

so sweet beta ji apni mummy ke godh mein hi rehna, we need real at the helms of a state like India.

14. JBH22

JBH22 Senior Member Senior Member

double post

15. A chauhan

A chauhan "अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l" Senior Member

Actually when a PM candidate is still learning how to use the words from his mom then he is a real Amul Baby i.e. kid in politics. I wont vote to Congress even if the God himself joins the party, I can vote to Rahul if he leave the party.

16. dealwithit

dealwithit Regular Member

I am sorry for the "Amul Tag"

But .. Person at that stature should know what he is speaking,,, I truly support what he said about Ordinance but..
    he should have discussed it Inside and should have asked PM(at least on Phone) about the issue that he is so concerned..before PM left on Foreign Soil

MMS already supported Rahul as PM..

If he is running for PM post from UPA.. he should know the Certain things "Speaking"

Good thing is whole congress party are united to support rahul not telling a word.. Ordinance is good for Nation.

And worst thing is "Still somebody should tell him where he has done wrong"

17. pkroyal

pkroyal Regular Member

decklander,

i seriously need your expert help.

Dob ; 02 jan 1961.
    Time ; 2010 h
    place ; af stn kalaikunda

kindly fwd analysis of my horoscope ??

18. happy

happy Senior Member Senior Member

Ordinance row: Sonia Gandhi used Rahul for damage control, but President saved the day, says Advani | NDTV.com

Mother and son have to be packed to italy soon. There is also talk that, this may well be the end for dynasty politics in Congress.

19. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Mom may have said anything, but Mom is not the be all and end all of India.

Mom and Son duo has upset a whole lot of UPA Allies.

20. Defcon 1

The congress party has in past depended on its strategy to retain power and many people believe Rahul's outburst was a drama to put him in good light after public opposition to the ordinance. It is no wonder that the cabinet which was earlier unanimous in supporting the ordinance, now was unanimous in taking it back. It also shows how whole party revolves around Gandhi family, that is why there is urgent need to introduce intra party democracy in all parties. Why should everyone suck up to Rahul to rise up in congress? Is that why people enter public life, to suck up to the son of a former prime minister?

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic when you say that ordinance is good for the nation because some people actually believe that ordinance is good for the nation. They say that if the ordinance is not introduced, people like Bhagat Singh will also run a risk of being disqualified. Although I don't agree with them.

21. TrueSpirit

TrueSpirit Senior Member Senior Member

What...? Where is BJP being bashed in this thread ? Selective myopia.....or absolute amnesia ?

What caught my goat is not some BJP/Cong-bashing but your consistent pretentiousness (across multiple threads in this forum) about being so morally & intellectually superior to other posters. Learn this, you are not. You have proven yourself incapable of that.

You are not above anyone on this forum, no matter how "elitist" you want to play....

I do not know you personally but on DFI, you come across as yet another wannabe, a pseudo-intellectual, & a shirker at best (recall, when Ray Sir asked you to contribute, all you had to offer was excuses about how busy you are).

The nation was not rotten as much by the skulduggery of crooks but by the insolence of the intellectuals. Wannabe-intellectuals are the scum of highest order.

So, instead of just lamenting & whining about DFI, why don't you share tidbits that you learnt from whatever lecture ? Let diversions bother you a little less & if even if they do, you digress a little lesser.

Share if you have anything to. Even after crossing 1K thread, everyone is wondering if you really have a point to make or all you can do is repine.

For once, what don't you demonstrate (for the sake of whatever is holy to you) you "quality of discussion" you want to bring here ? We are curious.

Do some constructive/positive here rather than excoriating persistently without offering any alternative (save, excuses). As Yusuf & distinguished members of this forum have already reminded you to. If you do not like something about it, express yourself in a thread that is meant for it "what I don't like about DFI".

Let me remind you that your persistent "hauteur" & fake loftiness is becoming unbearable for many & you should be offering solutions, rather than finger-pointing, bitching about the quality of posts & name-calling. References like "street kids" coming from some random inconsequential Bhaiya does not suit at all, whose state is the among the most wretched in Indian Union. Now, we know the mentality of people inhabiting that state & it is no wonder that things have come to such a pass there.

Learn to listen (here, read) before you speak (here, post). Refrain from name-calling as you advise others to.

Practice what you preach.

Defcon 1 likes this.