Mutiny within BJP

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by NSG_Blackcats, Aug 24, 2009.

1. NSG_Blackcats

NSG_Blackcats Member of The Month OCTOBER 2009 Senior Member

Last few months were nightmare for the BJP. With a lot of rebellion against the Party top leadership, I thought instead of putting it in different threads we should have a dedicated thread. So I am starting this thread.

1st it was the expulsion of Jaswant Singh.
    2nd a close associate of Atal Bihari Vajpayee and Advani; Sudhenu Kulkarni disassociates himself from the party.
    Now it is the turn of Arun Shourie.

3. NSG_Blackcats

Some BJP leaders behaving as Humpty Dumpty: Arun Shourie​

NEW DELHI: The simmering crisis in BJP deepened on Monday with senior leader Arun Shourie attacking the party leadership, saying that even raising questions within the party forum was being dubbed as "indiscipline" and that some leaders at the top were behaving as 'Humpty Dumpty'. Shourie raised the banner of revolt against the leadership by demanding that RSS take over the party and change its top brass lock, stock and barrel. He also virtually dared the party to take action against him but said if it did it, "they are only killing the messenger".

Joining the ranks of dissidents in the party, which is reeling under internal dissidence after the Lok Sabha defeat, the journalist-turned-politician, who was a minister in the Vajpayee government, hit out at party president Rajnath Singh calling him an "Alice in Blunderland" and that the party was a kati patang (kite without a string). "In my view, the BJP is a kati patang. Unless it is got hold of swiftly by....I don't see people within the party who now have such authority....if anybody can do it, it is only the RSS (that can do it)," he told a private television channel.

He later told reporters that like once Mao Ze Dong had said, "Bombard the headquarters. Clean up everybody from the top. Bring ten-fifteen people from the states who are competent, honest and dedicated and reconstruct immediately." "Even raising these questions (within party forum) is becoming indiscipline," the former union minister told a private television channel while responding to a question on expulsion of Jaswant Singh. Without naming anybody, he said there were people in the party who have "brought about this situation and brought the party to this pass. They are the ones who are hurting the party."

Shourie said there are some people in BJP who have been "planting stories for the last five years against each one of us, including Mr (L K) Advani and including Rajnath Singh in the press by six journalists". Questioning whether that was "discipline", he said "if you want to call this (his action) indiscipline, ok, call it. But we feel it (party) is an important institution, the party is an important institution." Throwing a virtual challenge to the party leadership to act against him for his utterances, he said "So, you want to be Humpty Dumpty and make words mean what you say and act, then I presume you already have in your mind to act against me or anybody, so act."

Link

4. Flint

Flint Senior Member Senior Member

I absolutely agree. BJP needs a revolution within the party. Bring in more people from the South, bring in more people from the states.

5. 1.44

1.44 Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009 Senior Member

BJP is totally getting fractured since their poll defeat. Definitely new blood is needed to steer the party in the future.Sad to see the party losing leaders like Jaswant singh and Arun shourie

6. 1.44

1.44 Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009 Senior Member

BJP needs to define its ideology: Govindacharya

New Delhi: The BJP's attempts to justify Jaswant Singh's expulsion on grounds of ideology have convinced few, if any, within or outside the party.

On Monday, former BJP leader and one of its key ideologues, KN Govindacharya, asked the party to define its ideology. He said the expulsion was a kneejerk reaction born out of an internal power struggle and the decision was taken without much discussion. "It seems one or two dominant leaders said he should be expelled. Those who may not have agreed with this feared that if they differ, it would be seen as dissent. So all of them agreed," he said.

He alleged that there was no dialogue in the party. Govindacharya said it was still not clear whether it was Jinnah or Patel that was the main issue for the BJP. "The initial statement from the party president said it was with regard to comments on Jinnah. Then, party leaders felt this would direct the fire elsewhere (towards Advani) and the party spokesperson said it was over Jaswant Singh's observations on Sardar Patel. The BJP should clarify," said Govindacharya.

The ideologue said a ban on writing has no democratic basis and condemned Singh's expulsion as an indecent, graceless, "summarily and shabbily" conducted. "In no way was it a mature decision by a mature political party," he added.

"The destiny of a worker should not be decided over a cup of tea. It is true that no worker is indispensable, but, at the same time, every worker is important," Govindacharya observed.

He also questioned the purpose of the chintan baithak. "Rajnathji said it decided that BJP would stick to its ideology. I cannot understand whether this is reform or reiteration? Had the party given up its ideology? Where was the deviation? He has not clarified. The BJP needs to codify its ideology or "decode" this," Govindacharya said.

He listed some instances, asking if they were in keeping with BJP ideology, particularly mentioning the growth in meat export during NDA rule, the huge increase in liquor vends in Rajasthan under Vasundhara Raje, and the numerous projects that are destroying the Ganga.

"Advani justifies all this saying ideology is irrelevant for governance; Rajnath lays stress on ideology. Who is correct?" Govindacharya said.

BJP needs to define its ideology: Govindacharya - dnaindia.com

7. Flint

Flint Senior Member Senior Member

I fear that if the BJP continues to lose its moderate/secular leaders, it might become little more than the political wing of the RSS. I hope that does not happen.

8. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

I think BJP should utilize this fiasco as a blessing in disguise to cull the old fossils and incompetent leaders at the top and infuse fresh blood at the top level and give a new face and direction to the party and define what it stands for as a party and what it will do for this country. We need more educated leaders like AB Vajpayee, Arun Jailtley, Jaswant Singh, Arun Shourie, not a dumb pumpkin like Rajnath Singh.

9. NSG_Blackcats

Jaswant compares BJP to Ku Klux Klan​

NEW DELHI: Jaswant Singh on Wednesday took his attack on BJP a step further by likening it to the violent white American group Ku Klux Klan and suggested that L K Advani was surrounded by a coterie. Why he was unceremoniously expelled from the party a week ago, the former external affairs minister was asked. "Please don't ask me. I am outside the magic circle of advisers or thinkers. Because, I am not from the RSS, is that why? So are we a political party? Is the BJP becoming some kind of an Indian version of Ku Klux Klan?" he shot back during an interview.

Ku Klux Klan, widely known as The Klan, is the name of several past and present hate group organisations in the US, whose aim was to protect and further the rights of white Americans by intimidation. Asked what he meant by reference to KKK, he said, "You know what the Klan means. You don't ask me about this." Expressing reluctance to analyse why Advani was rejected by the people for the post of prime minister, Jaswant Singh nevertheless said it was for the BJP veteran to reflect on this. "It would be impertinent and perhaps, to a degree also, I would be commenting on my past 30 years with him if I commented on his characteristics, political or personal," he said.

Link

10. NSG_Blackcats

BC Khanduri writes to Rajnath over his ouster​

NEW DELHI: After former Rajasthan chief minister Vasundhara Raje and Arun Shourie, another BJP leader has raised the banner of revolt. TIMES NOW has learnt that former Uttarakhand CM and BJP leader BC Khanduri has written to party president Rajnath Singh over his removal.

Full Story

11. NSG_Blackcats

12. NSG_Blackcats

13. F-14

F-14 Global Defence Moderator Senior Member

well the Its time to see the demise of the BJP i gusse

14. Antimony

Antimony Regular Member

I hope not. We need an ideologically conservative party as a buffer to Congress's social liberalism.

Else the only winners would be the 3rd Front. Congree would do well to ensure that BJP survives, for its own benefit

15. NSG_Blackcats

BJP to rise from its ashes, we won’t interfere: RSS chief ​

New Delhi: Virtually ruling any direct role in solving the crisis within the BJP, RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat on Friday made it clear that the Sangh is not interested in directly interfering in the day-to-day affairs of the BJP. “RSS won’t interfere in BJP’s working, the party has to decide for itself, but the Sangh is ready to help the party whenever they need it” the Sarsanghchalak said during his keenly awaited press conference.

Full Story

16. NSG_Blackcats

17. NSG_Blackcats

18. NSG_Blackcats

Senior leader wants Jaswant back​

A new letter bomb has hit the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). Party's vice president Pyarelal Khandelwal has written a letter which terms Jaswant Singh's expulsion as a hasty decision. Khandelwal has written the letter to party president Rajnath Singh, L K Advani and RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat. He has alleged that some leaders in the party ganged up to expel the former foreign minister. "Proper procedure was not followed. Jaswant's expulsion should be reconsidered," says the letter. And it's not just that the BJP is facing the ire over the issue within the party, even its allies in NDA have criticised the move to abruptly expel Jaswant Singh.

After Janata Dal United leader Sharad Yadav questioned the unceremonious sacking of Jaswant Singh over his Jinnah book, it's now the turn of the BJP's oldest ally Shiv Sena. In a sharply worded editorial in the Sena mouthpiece Saamna, Sena supremo Bal Thackeray said: "What has happened to the BJP? Is their leadership gripped with swine flu or some other disease?" But on a more charitable note, Thackeray said he firmly believed the BJP would recover and come out of this situation and the party will not hold them to ransom ahead of the Maharashtra polls.

Link