'Muslims should be communal for their own good', Shazia Ilmi says

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Ray, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

'Muslims should be communal for their own good', Shazia Ilmi says

NEW DELHI: A new controversial video which could spell trouble for the Aam Aadmi Party is doing the rounds on social media.

In the video, which surfaced on Tuesday, AAP leader Shazia Ilmi said that Muslims' votes split as they were "too secular" and they "should become communal" and vote keeping in mind "our own interest".

"Don't be much secular. Muslims are too secular and they should become communal. They are not communal and do not vote for themselves. Arvind Kejriwal is ours. Muslims have remained secular for long...have voted for the Congress and helped them win. Don't be so secular and look at your house (community) this time.

"Other parties have their votebank intact and Muslim votes split. This is a controversial statement, but we should look at our own interest," Ilmi, AAP candidate from Ghaziabad, said in the video, in which she is having a conversation with members of the Muslim community.

The Arvind Kejriwal-headed Aam Aadmi party(AAP) ticked Ilmi off and distanced itself from the controversial remarks, saying it does not endorse her views. However, Ilmi stood by her comments, which, she said is "play of words".

The AAP said it does not believe in this kind of politics nor does it endorse it.

"All our representatives should be careful in their choice of words so that there is no scope for misinterpretation," the AAP said in a message posted on its twitter handle.

"I've seen Shazia's clip. She should have not said it. AAP does not believe in communal politics. Our politics is to unite all Indians," party leader Manish Sisodia tweeted.

With her remarks triggering a controversy, Ilmi said she had not made any remark that incited hatred.

"I stand by it. I said, we should think of our community first. When others are not secular then why should we be secular. It is play of words," she told TV channels.

"I said it half sarcastically. Somebody was saying Muslims are very communal. I am saying Muslims are not communal, infact they are very secular. They need to be communal. This does not mean to incite hatred. They must think of themselves and must not be political slaves.

"What have the political parties done for Muslims in terms of political empowerment and representation in either government or private jobs, education... in terms of economic and political opportunities," she told TV channels.

"I was essentially saying when you cast a vote you want to better your lot. Think of yourself...you cannot be scared of Modi and RSS all the time," she added.
    I've seen Shazia's clip. She should have not said it. AAP does not believe in communal politics. Our politics is to unite all Indians.

— Manish Sisodia (@msisodia) April 22, 2014

Netizens too, took to Twitter to condemn the video.

Here are some reactions:
    Shazia Ilmi has to employ the most cutting-edge U-Turn technology to come of this jam.

— IndiaSpeaks (@IndiaSpeaksPR) April 22, 2014

Sad that @shaziailmi disappoints yet again. There's no room for double speak in someone who claims to be a revolutionary, @AamAadmiParty.

— रanviर_ डhoरeय_ (@RanvirShorey) April 22, 2014

Shazia Ilmi was talking about community and she was not being communal, just as Togadia was talking about laws and not being a lout.

— Rahul Roushan (@rahulroushan) April 22, 2014

(With inputs from PTI)
    'Muslims should be communal for their own good', Shazia Ilmi says - The Times of India

I like Shazia Ilmi, not only because she brings cheer to the eye, but also for her articulate views spoken in a very musical way. I also like Aashifa Khan, the BJP spokeswoman from Gujarat for the same reason.

That is why I am sad that Ilmi could appear to be communal just for winning some votes in an election.

She could have avoided all this.

It also indicates the alienation to the Muslim community from the mainstream of Indian politics, where communal unity takes precedence over the ills of India that affect not only the Muslims, but all communities across the board.

India does have an odd interpretation of 'secularism'.

I wonder how this divide came about and how it will end.

3. abhi_the _gr8_maratha

abhi_the _gr8_maratha Senior Member Senior Member

kejriwal,ilmi, kumar vishwas all are opportunist
    eg. Ilmi was reporter and wrote goodie goodie about kejriwal and aap and later she joined it and this is dirty politics of aap she need a punch of balasaheb thakre to keep quite on such issue but sadly he is not alive

4. fyodor

fyodor Regular Member

It's the 21st century, nations are debating how to get on different planets and travel the intergalactic space but India is busy in secularism-communalism... :noidea:

5. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

MODEL CODE OF CONDUCT FOR THE
    GUIDANCE OF POLITICAL PARTIES AND
    CANDIDATES

(3) There shall be no appeal to caste or communal feelings for securing votes.
    Mosques, Churches, Temples or other places of worship shall not be used as
    forum for election propaganda.

http://eci.nic.in/eci_main/faq/faq_mcc.pdf

6. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

Hmm.. what are those nations where the debate of interstellar travel is being debated among the general populace, other than the certified geeks?

Have you heard of the debate in UK about introduction of Sharia in properties law? Or ban on Hijab in France? Or congressional debate on Hindu communalism of India in US?

7. amoy

amoy Senior Member Senior Member

Courting India’s Muslim Vote | The Diplomat

[​IMG]
    Imagine India will over take Indonesia as the world's biggest Muslim country by 202X :bhangra:

8. Eesh

Eesh Regular Member

Secular muslim is an oxymoron.

JBH22 and fyodor like this.
  9. Neytiri

Neytiri Tomboy

Hard to believe that Shazia Ilmi was born to a man Ishaq Ilmi who had successfully stopped muslims in kanpur from joining Pakistan,the secular man that he was didnt deserve Shazia as his daughter.

10. vlad

vlad Regular Member

@amoy
    hindu and other communities will also grow

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  11. vlad

vlad Regular Member

india needs my politics of my style..step1-eleminate all Indian Oligarchs
    step2-dismental the family
    step3-kill all journalists working for foreign agenda
    step4-expand oil assets
    step5-invade all small neighbors/enter in to alliance with them
    step6-peace...........:rolleyes:

12. SLASH

SLASH Senior Member Senior Member

Dont know which planet you are from . But on planet earth nobody talks about 'intergalactic space travel' as a political issue. When somebody does do enlighten us.

13. fyodor

fyodor Regular Member

they do talk about it...some time ago elon musk was in a congressional hearing with the US congress about some issues related to space travels

also what i gave was just one example, in the US politicians discuss and debate about IT policies, enterpreneurs, etc .

However many of them are morons and still debate whether evolution should be taught in schools or not but they have a balance, in india mostly politicians talk about crappy issues

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  14. SLASH

SLASH Senior Member Senior Member

In India we do not even discuss foreign policy to the extent that other developed countries do. After 60 years of independence we are still battling with hunger, malnutrition and unemployment. We need to debate these issues and solve them before talking about inter-stellar space travelling.

Developed nations have the 'vela' time to discuss about space exploration in the parliament. We do contribute in our own way, but we cannot have it as an election agenda, as there are more important things to worry about.

PS: RaGa did try to speak about the escape velocity of Jupiter. See what happened :lol:. Lets leave space exploration discussions to the experts in the field and leave it out of politics.

15. fyodor

fyodor Regular Member

that was my point, that we have been left so behind that when we are discussing secularism (and yet to discuss development,malnutrition etc) other nations are already onto inter galactic travel

we are getting behind....