Muslims oppose MP Govt's directive to recite 'Bhojan Mantra'

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by I-G, Jul 30, 2009.

1. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Muslims oppose MP Govt's directive to recite 'Bhojan Mantra'

Updated on Thursday, July 30, 2009, 16:09 IST

Bhopal: Religious heads of Muslim community have opposed the Madhya Pradesh Government's directive to government teachers to compulsorily recite "Bhojan Mantra" before meals during a special training programme.

State School and Higher Education Minister Archana Chitnis, in a directive three days ago, made the recital of "Bhojan Mantra", a prayer before meal, compulsory for the government teachers taking part in a special training programme beginning from September 1.

Madhya Pradesh Jamat-e-Islami Hind spokesman Anwar Shafi said it is against the belief of Muslims.

"Muslim community recites 'Bismillah' before having meals and under no circumstances they would recite the 'Bhojan Mantra' as directed by the minister," he said.

Instead of improving the quality of mid-day meal served to school children, in which a number of times lizard, frog and cockroaches were reportedly found, the government is trying to divert people's attention by making compulsory recital of "Bhojan Mantra", Shafi alleged.

A demonstration was also held by Khanqah-e-Chishtia and Muslim Tehwar Committee at Tila Jamalpura area yesterday protesting against the government's directive.

The committee chief Dr Ausaf Shahmiri Khurram said, "It is an unnecessary attempt by the government to interfere in one's personal religious matters."

None of the religious community including Sikh, Christian, Buddhist and Jain among others would accept this directive, he said.

Special training programme for teachers have been organised in view of poor results in last academic year.

Muslims oppose MP Govt`s directive to recite `Bhojan Mantra`

3. Vikramaditya

Vikramaditya Regular Member

They(M) oppose everything when its not belong to their(R), whats new.......
    Most common example is "yoga".

4. prahladh

prahladh Respected Member

Yoga is banned in Arab countries but I never knew that yoga was objected in India by some religious sect.

5. Vikramaditya

It is objected in Malaysia also,i think it is ban there.
    In INDIA they voice concern when some state gov want to permanent yoga in school.

6. fateh71

fateh71 Regular Member

How is the bhojan mantra anyway related to education quality? The govt has no business telling people what to recite before meals. Particularly so if its related to religion.

BTW what the hell is bhojan mantra???

7. fateh71

fateh71 Regular Member

Don't know about other arab countries, but here in Dubai yoga classes are available in many places.

Even some neocons in the US have opposed Yoga. They have even come up with Christian Yoga :)

If you ask people to do Yoga with religious content then its not right, but purely as a form of breathing exercises, yes the govt can introduce in public schools. The ultra conservative in all religions like to show they exist, but govt should stick to one policy CONSISTENTLY. So muslims are right in opposing the Bhojan Mantra, now they should also root for common civil code so that govt is totally removed from religion :)

8. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Do u have any idea what is "Bhojan Mantra" ? Its a mantra of the Yajur Veda , Why should those who are not Hindus should be forced to read ? and in government schools

Even in 2005 a similar article came out .

India’s Jamaat slams ‘bhojan mantra’ in hostels
    Press Trust of India
    Posted online: Saturday, March 12, 2005 at 1237 hours IST
    India’s Jamaat slams ‘bhojan mantra’ in hostels

9. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

So how many arab countries u have been ?

There was a documentry on BBC , how indian soldiers were giving yoga classes to people in lebanon .

Yoga in Dubai
    Dubai Yoga - Yoga in Dubai

10. Vikramaditya

Thats true....
    we should not force them, but why they ban yoga thats not religious.
    Most of musim they donot sing Indian National Song....Vande Mataram.... that not religious.
    They so many time protest against thats song.....

11. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

As much as i know , it was due to the mantras which are used in Yoga .

Regarding Vande Mataram , I seriously dont think its any issue , i m aware that some Muslims and other religious groups opposes singing of Vande mataram as nation was shown as Mother Durgaa . Sikhs ,Arya Samajis,Parsis ,Christians all opposed it and thats why Jana Gana Mana was chosen as the National Anthem of independent India.

All nations do have issue and India is the only nation in this whole world where people from all religions live together and for sure can have agreements and disagreements .

12. Adux

Adux Senior Member Senior Member

I support the minorities, I would incesed if my kids where told to sing some christmas carol or some quarnic songs, I dont care fvck, What if I am an athiest. The Government has no role propagating this! This is going to drive them back to the madrassa's; brilliant move idiotic government.

PS: People should read the full Vande Mataram, I am born to a Hindu family and I dont believe in singing that, I rather stand up proudly for Jana Gana Mana, I can sing various other patriotic songs to "SHOW" my faithfullness to this country.

13. prahladh

prahladh Respected Member

My Bad. so it was Malaysia!. ok.

14. Antimony

Antimony Regular Member

Minor quibble, and I think you would agree.

If it is a private/ parochial school, I wouldn't object to whatever they make the kids sing - gayatri mantra, kalama or christmas carols. don't like it, take your kid out.

A government school on the other hand has no business in issuing such diktats.

In fact, I think reciting the multiplication tables is a far better exercise, though that may kill the apetites of the kids:wink:

15. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

All this non sense has come up in the past few years. When I was in school it didn't even vome in my mind. I went for chappel service every morning with many other Muslim and Hindu friends.

These days we pollute the minds of kids very early and it sticks with them for the rest of their lives.

16. Vikramaditya

first what minorities...................

you are telling me religious.
    You want to show your support,support poor people not a religion....
    Those guys live in footpath need that support.

And and respect "Vande Mataram" which had played huge role in our(hindu+muslim+....) independent.

I stand for my country.....

17. Adux

Yusuf,

As I remember you are a Bhora Muslim, forgive if my spellings or my thought is wrong.
    But the government has no place propagating culture or religion, that is a individual decision, it though has a responsbility promoting good citizenery and a national agenda.

18. Adux

I love my country and I dont care eff about Vande Mataram. You cant digest that, Dont worry the founding fathers of my country will. My respect for this nation is not some lines of a just patriotic song, or the war cry of a section of freedom fighters. But something far bigger than the war-cry, freedom fighters, all the martyr's, you know what that is: It is the idea of India;It is not Hindu, Muslim, or Christian, or North Indian, South Indian, or about Emperor Ashoka or about Akbar or about Raja Ravi Varma, its about India. Also, You dont even know my history; about what I think about islamist, evangalist or hindutva... you just dont know. The Government has no role promoting yoga, or some indic mantra, or anything. Absolutely not. I dont mind if some christain school does it, I dont mind if Chinmaya Vidyala does it, I dont mind if Al-Ameen does it, but the GOVERNMENT CANT and SHOULD NOT do it.

Son,
    You dont even know what true patriotism is, let alone patriotic songs. Now go change your diaper.

19. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Yes I am a Bohra Adux and the spelling was bit wrong :)). But my point is not about the government propagation but in general. Yes the govt has no business in propagating any religion and certainly not force kids into it.

20. Adux

Antimony,
    I didnt read your reply first, Yet I think mine above to the little hindu kid would do for you too.

21. Vikramaditya

I know what I am..........

"I STAND FOR MY COUNTRY " is not just a line,i am seriously working for my dream.......

And i will do it....I know i can....