Muslims fund, organise this Ramlila

Discussion in 'Religion & Culture' started by ejazr, Oct 5, 2011.

1. ejazr

ejazr Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Muslims fund, organise this Ramlila | Siasat

Lucknow, October 05: Naseem Khan is satisfied with the modest earnings from his small tailoring shop. But every year around Dusshera, Khan turns slightly worried.

He starts accepting orders in bulk to raise his income, not for his family, but for raising funds for organising Ramlila: the mythological play based on the Hindu epic Ramayana.

Like Khan, many Muslims in Mumtaz Nagar village of Uttar Pradesh's Faizabad district have been keeping alive the village's decades-old custom, under which all arrangements for holding Ramlia are looked after by members of the minority community.

"We take pride in following such a tradition that exhibits communal harmony in a true sense. Every year when we organise the play, we get a unique feeling of serving the almighty. After all, our Hindu brothers are the creation of the same supreme power that has made us," 42-year-old Khan said by telephone from Faizabad, some 126 km from Lucknow.

"Besides entertainment and enjoying other religious aspects, we derive a great satisfaction by organising Ramlila that, in a way, instills a sense of brotherhood among members of the two communities," he added.

Muslims organise the mythological play under the banner of Ramlila Ramayana Samiti (RRS), a committee that was constituted by Muslims of Mumtaz Nagar village around 47 years ago for the promotion of communal harmony.

Mumtaz Nagar has a population of around 800 people, more than 65 percent of them Muslims.

"Being a Muslim-dominated village, Mumtaz Nagar used to be livelier on Muslim functions than Hindu festivals. As there was a limited population of Hindus, our ancestors thought being in majority they should do something for enhancing the celebrations of Hindu festival," Majid Ali, RRS president, said.

"Muslims from various walks of life are in the committee. Irrespective of their financial situation, Muslims of the village make every effort to generously contribute the funds required for staging the play. Those Muslims who cannot contribute anything for the play don't mind working as labourers for making arrangements for the play," he added.

This time the Muslim-funded Ramlila started Oct 1 and will continue till Oct 8. It is staged on an elevated cemented structure that was built by the Muslims when the first Ramlila was staged in 1963.

Interestingly, Muslims have not confined themselves only to the contributions for the Ramlila. A few among them enact the play too.

"Though the protagonists of Ramlila are Hindus, a few Muslim villagers also play small roles that also fosters bonding between the two communities," said Ali.

A chauhan, KS, sob and 6 others like this.
  3. amoy

amoy Senior Member Senior Member

Reading through the report I do not get why Khan turns a bit worried around Dusshera. Muslims in the village sound happy in contribution to the RSS. Could anyone enlighten me?

4. maomao

maomao Veteran Hunter of Maleecha Senior Member

Only enlightenment you deserve is that RSS is not notorious CCP and Muslims are not slaves of RSS as in the case of Chinese who are born slaves of CCP!! I hope your fogged brain got some rays of light.......!!

amitkriit likes this.
  5. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

getting worried, where did you get that from?

hindus organizing muslim festivities and muslims doing like wise for hindus or hindus going to mardassas to study or hindus preparing offerings for muslims or muslims preparing for hindu gods has been happening for long in india.

people when they live for long together without any suppression gel together something that has happened in india for as long as can be.

not sure what made you get that notion of and as you put it "Khan turns a bit worried around Dusshera".

6. mayfair

mayfair Elite Member Elite Member

I wonder why there is no thumbs up emoticon preceding the title of the post.

7. sandeepdg

sandeepdg Senior Member Senior Member

Its no use making foreigners understand the true meaning or religious harmony and brotherhood, folks, since they are just not Indians !! We have been practicing such actions since time immemorial.

It is such small acts of amity and unity among members of different communities from nondescript corners of this country, that feels me with pride about the greatness of this nation and our rich 7 millennia old history and culture. And gives me hope that, come what may, one day we will attain, the same glory that we once had and that we truly deserve.

8. amoy

amoy Senior Member Senior Member

nah here, the puzzling part

9. trackwhack

trackwhack Tihar Jail Banned

ohimalaya, he gets worried because he has to save a little extra to contribute to the funds. :) peace

10. thakur_ritesh

if the inference is communal tensions, i dont think it is about that, nothing like that gets highlighted in the article.

is it about sparing some money for organizing ramlila, i suspect that to be the case and so this person for that needs to take more orders than the usual. i think that would be the worrying part, where does he get those extra orders from, where does he generate extra money from.

11. agentperry

agentperry Senior Member Senior Member

its nice to know this. communal harmony is the only way out. all should get together to make a better India, we need contri from all.

the best thing is, not to make things appear like the era of muslim rule is the dark ages of India. dont try to recollect things prior to it. muslims are part and parcel of Indian community. its not a time to make them or ask them to change but see in ourselves and change ourselves if required.

such things should be publicized more and more.

12. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

I presume from this sentence in the media report:

I think it is a mischievous way the media is reporting.

I too wondered what is there to get worried about?

Half our communal problems are because of the mischievous reporting by the media or by our worthies in the Parliament and the Assemblies!

To be frank, for every festival, I get mortified since these local Puja organisers come over for subs and they are never satisfied. Every year, one is forced to increase the subs and then you have to pay 'bonus' to the domestic staff which means double the salary!

In fact, one can't help but get worried and he need not be a Muslim alone.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  13. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

You guys misunderstood Ohimalayas question. I think it was an innocent question as to why Khan got worried around Dussehra as the report mentioned. And as someone answered, it was because he had to prepare for Ramlila.

14. Ray

We have understood what OHimalaya wanted to know.

It is just that the interpretation of the word 'worried' has been mischievously left by the media to have double meaning since much has been left unsaid and left hanging instead!

Pragmatically seen, nowhere, as I perceive, is it mentioned that the Muslim tailor is worried since that month he has to more so that the Ramlila can be organised. Or have I missed it?

He has more good reasons too to be worried, as I see it. For, if for any reason the funds are not adequate to organise the Ramlila, and it can't be organised by the Muslims, it will automatically be given a communal twist with its consequences!!

Just note how we are all giving our own divergent interpretations because of this 'innocent' media report. Now, just think what would be the consequences if this is discussed 'worry' is discussed through word of mouth and its various interpretations.

This is how disharmony occurs!

Check this sentence

Choro mat maro.

Now note the use of the 'comma'.

Choro mat , maro

and

Choro , mat maro!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
    maomao and thakur_ritesh like this.
  15. thakur_ritesh

Sir,

indeed mischievous reporting.

that worried bit is so well crafted and the interpretation left to speculation that if one doesnt read it properly, any sort of conclusions can be drawn. once ohimalaya highlighted it, i carefully re-read it twice to be sure of the interpretation i could draw.

thankfully we dont have people collecting chanda here, was a big problem in delhi though.

Yusuf,

we know ohimalaya for long to know that he doesnt have any bad intent, but the way that came across had me a little confused. it was only when he pointed out the quotation that it got clear for me.

16. Ray

Yeah, OHimalaya is a good apple.

And so is Kickoff and the Vietnamese poster, whose moniker is too difficult to remember.

17. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

These sort of things happen quite frequently.

Like Ray has already said communal disharmony only happens due to fundamentalists on either side and of course politicians who have taken cue from british and use divide and rule tactic.

18. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

TR, Chanda collection us rampant in bangalore too in my area at least where my shop is.

Assholes are all local goondas, they and their chamchas have a party (read booze) later on. But they are smart, they give away washing machines and TVs and stuff as part of lottery and since the face of it is the goonda, he gets all the brownie points. Future politician!!!

19. thakur_ritesh

a big problem in the metros definitely, its a flourishing business.

they do it in the name of religion, orphan child, blind people, widows, a dead to be cremated and what not.

20. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

Excellent stuff !!!!

Whitewashing history cannot be condoned under any circumstances. it makes the sufferings people endured as trivial.

21. Sabir

Sabir DFI TEAM Senior Member

Yesterday we visited a Puja Pandal in Dumdum park which is decorated with scroll paintings based on Hindu mythologies. The organisers bought a group of Pauas from Medinipur district to do the jobs, they also honoured the Patuas on stage for their contribution in Bengali culture. It may be surprising for many, but most of these patuas are Muslims, Nurjahan Bibi being the leader of the group. Muslims Patuas in these districts observe Muslims festivals but traditionally make scroll paintings based on Hindu mythologies. There are Buddhist and Hindu Patuas too.

[​IMG]

devgupt, maomao and A chauhan like this.