Muslim man sings praises of Hindu deities

Discussion in 'Religion & Culture' started by Rashna, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Rashna

Rashna Senior Member Senior Member

Muslim man sings praises of Hindu deities

MUMBAI: In life and in football, balance is everything. Shaikh Riyazoddin Abdul Gani would add a Maharashtrian folk art to this list. For years he has balanced a water-filled kalash on his head on stage. Gani would then sing soulful Meera bhajans and abhangs, while plucking a veena and joyfully twirling as if light as a feather.

In this avatar, he is the famous 'Rajubaba Kirtankar', who won awards and has regaled the faithful at temples and prayer meets. He has also managed to rekindle faith and transform drunkards.

No, it is not the just the power of music that brings about transformations. "It is the bhagwan in us," says the artiste in true Warkari tradition, all set for his Spic Macay performance at IIT-Bombay on Thursday.

Nothing about the soft-spoken 73-year-old from Beed prepares for the emotive rendering of Wari kirtans, the ecstatic dancing or the fascination he holds for Hinduism. "The beard is a recent one as my boy isn't getting a wife from the community," says Rajubaba. Now, Rajubaba does namaaz five times a day. "I go to five different masjids so that everyone sees me like this," he laughs. His childhood wasn't easy. Young Gani used to sit outside temples to learn kirtans that attracted him so much. Eventually Hindus accepted Riyazoddin, by then shortened to an acceptable Raju. When he realized that people were falling asleep, he adopted the dancing-singing tradition, which was started by Namdev. Raju gave it a twist.

"While bringing water from the river, he used to sing. That gave him the idea of dancing with a pot on the head," says Dr Prakash Khandge, head of Lok Kala Academy, Mumbai University. His family was far from pleased.

When they threatened to leave the village, he moved out. "I returned and got married only because of my amma's mohabbat," says Rajubaba. He says he could run his family and marry off four daughters as a kirtankar. People started giving tips, especially after his name became popular. Khandge says there is nobody in Maharashtra like Rajubaba now. There would be no one like him in the future as his children and kirtankar apprentices shy away from his act. "It is tough to get that balance," says Omkar Jaunjal, who accompanies him. Rajubaba is resigned but the spark to reinvent seems alive. "I am stuck in this world of maya and family responsibilities. Maybe, I will check with the Guinness Book people as I have done something different," he says.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ses-of-Hindu-deities/articleshow/47535215.cms

OneGrimPilgrim and anupamsurey like this.
  3. anupamsurey

anupamsurey Regular Member

it comes from a state where Hindus and Muslims are falling apart, that's a good news.

4. Raja.pakistani

Raja.pakistani Regular Member

Why he has to do this i mean to praise those deities whom Muslims don't believe? Is it to satisfy the ego, jingoism or nationalism of some Hinduvata and to get their acceptance or approval?

You can respect a religion without practising those things which your own religion oppose. It is true for those hindus as well who practice fasts and go to dargah/mosques when they dont need to... be content with your religious beliefs instead of pleasing others by practising their beliefs .

5. anupamsurey

you cannot compare hinduism and Islam, hinduism allows its followers to pray God of their own choice, but can Islam do so. (the foundation of islam is very weak to share the onslaught of any other religion).

6. Raja.pakistani

You are right that Islam and Hinduism are two different religion with different aqeedah and practises as one allow polytheism and the other strongly oppose it that's why i said why this Indian Muslim felt the need to praise those deities whom he don't believe and which contradict to his personal beliefs.

Hinduism is not religion in its strict sense because you can be atheist or agnostic and Hindu at the same time while Islam is very strict when it come to associate partners with God or associate his attributes to someone else but again these are two different religion dont mean followers of these religion should hate each others or should go for killing each others. Respect is allowing others to have this freedom of practising their beliefs even if you consider them wrong.

7. anupamsurey

on one hand you are arsking fir freedom of religion and on the other hand you are objecting to a muslim singing hindu bhajans....what does it make you a hippocrite

8. Rashna

Islam in the sub-continent is not that restrictive.... and in India where muslims are living in hindu culture some easily start practising their version of Islam which allows them to praise a hindu deity.. Similarly hindus visit mazars .Nobody can question why someone wants to do something out of sheer love... you know that ibadat is love.... While you might want to tell us that Islam is very strict , yes on paper it is but most people do not follow that version of Islam... because its not the way of life in sub-continent. When you have a data darbar in lahore, you aren't really following any strict version of Islam.

9. Rowdy

Rowdy Co ja kurwa czytam! Senior Member

I agree with you....I think it is not good when Hindus do it. They are brainwashed to think all religions are the same. IDK do you think Islam and Hinduism are the same? I think not.

10. Raja.pakistani

Different religion may preach same morals or ethics but they are different in aqeehad i.e how and whom they see as God, how they should worship him and what are his attributes and how they see associating partners with God or having multiple Gods etc They are not same that's why i dont think it make sense for monotheist to go for doing things which polytheist does or vice versa. Some people are insecure about their beliefs and it give pleasure to their ego if they see someone from different religion practice their religion or convert into their religion. I will say again i dont mean to hate others if they are different. Everyone should have freedom to practice what they see as right without having any fear from others.

11. Raja.pakistani

Living with Hindu don't mean you should give up your beliefs and should start practising their beliefs or to make this strange mixture of religion which simply confuse yourself and others. If you are Musli you dont believe in polytheist deities..very simple. so why you should praise them? Just to please the ego of those who are follower of these deities and prove your loyalty to hinduvata nationalists? Many People visit data darbaat to pray for these pious people and not all f them go there to bow infront of them but like many other religion islam also has many illiterate peopel who has no sense of right or wrong

12. Rashna

He has not given up anything. He is a 5 time namazi... read the article well... You and i cannot sit in judgement of what he should or should not do.... the fact is nobody forced him in to it, he was drawn towards it, and so is the case with most people who are into sufi religion.... Amir Khusro has written plenty in praise of Lord Krishna, and has produced some of the most amazing poetry which showcases ganga jumni tehzeeb... What does that make him? Confused? If he is then better such a confused man on earth than one who believes in One God and then promptly kills his own kin.
    I think you shouldn't put everything down to hindutva and its influence on muslims in India... because it simply isn't true...

OneGrimPilgrim and anupamsurey like this.
  13. DingDong

DingDong Senior Member Senior Member

This is blasphemy!

The pious ones from Kerala and Hyderabad must take care of this guy immediately before this disease spreads further.

On topic, I have got on my computer several sufi songs which I listen to occasionally without ever caring about the "spiritual" message. I am sure that many Hindus do the same.

Time has come for Islam to reform or die because in it's "pure" rabid form it is completely incompatible with modern life-style and ethics.

bose and OneGrimPilgrim like this.
  14. OneGrimPilgrim

OneGrimPilgrim Senior Member Senior Member

whr invaders hv been eulogised, heroes binned!!
    the lives of saints like Tajuddin baba and Shafi baba (incidentally, both from Ngp.) is ample evidence of the stark contrast that exists between the spiritually evolved and the worldly 'religious' fellows who sit in 'possession' and judgement of them....also, these same fellows, when in dire needs and emergencies, ALL boundaries of 'mera-tera' and religious protocols vanish in a snap for them then, and a new understanding & wisdom dawns esp. when one personally witnesses/gets subjected to transcendental experiences, which is why cultures and traditions have not only survived but flourished here!

@Rashna ji, may i add the name of Nawab Wajid Ali Shah of Awadh too in the list of ardent devotees of Lord Krushna... :)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    Rashna likes this.
  15. OneGrimPilgrim

its probably still much better here than say in the Deobandi bastion; atleast no kathmulla here has put a reward on Raju bhai's head and the promise of the gift of an 'Islamic sword'!

anupamsurey likes this.
  16. bose

bose Senior Member Senior Member

Have you heard of poet Kazi Nazrul Islam ? a very well known poet from Bengal and now national poet of Bangladesh... If he were not rebelious and anti british he would have also got Nobel prize on literature along with Tagore...

Kazi Nazrul has written many poems on Hindu goddess so has it made Kazi Nazrul any less Muslim ? India has this tradition which is very difficult to understand for you Pakistanis...

I have a photo of Jesus Christ pasted on my room has that made me non Hindu ?

Rashna likes this.
  17. OneGrimPilgrim

@bose - i have this sailor's hymn/prayer card (from France) that i once found in my cabin, and i have kept it with me ever since (prayer printed at the back of it). :D

[​IMG]

Rashna likes this.
  18. I_PLAY_BAD

I_PLAY_BAD Regular Member

Muslims need not sing praise of Hinduism. It is enough if they concentrate on their personal and societal development and maintain cordial and harmonic relations with their compatriots. This is media's felony and we shouldn't make a big surprising news out of it.