Muslim groups oppose Bengal panchayat polls during Ramadan

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by parijataka, Jun 30, 2013.

1. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

Islamic republic of West Bengal.

Muslim groups oppose Bengal panchayat polls during Ramadan

Kolkata, June 30 (IANS) With the West Bengal panchayat polls slated to be held during Ramadan, Muslim organisations Sunday took out a rally in the city and submitted a memorandum to the State Election Commission (SEC) demanding the elections not be held during their holy month.

“Members from the Muslim community irrespective of political affiliation gathered to make an appeal to the (SEC) to ensure that the panchayat elections are not held in month of Ramadan,” said Mohammad Ayazul Haque, the convenor of the rally.

According to a Supreme Court order, the panchayat polls are slated for July 11, 15, 19, 22 and 25 while Ramadan begins from the second week of July.

Hundreds of people holding posters and shouting slogans marched to the SEC office where they submitted the memorandum to SEC chief Mira Pande.

“We met Pande but she said that she was unable to do anything as the polls were held as per a directive of the Supreme Court,” added Haque.

Several other Muslim organisations have threatened to move the Supreme Court in case the polls are held during Ramadan.

“We would urge the SEC to ensure the elections are held either before the month of Ramadan or after it. If they do not consider our demands, we will move to Supreme Court,” said Mohammad Qumaruzzam, general secretary, All Bengal Minority Youth Federation.

Political parties, including the Congress and Left Front, have expressed their displeasure over the scheduling the polls during Ramadan and blamed the Trinamool Congress government for it.

Congress leader Abdul Mannan even said Chief Miniter Mamata Banerjee should publicly apologise for inconveniencing the Muslim population.

The state government though had expressed it desire to approach the apex court seeking the polls are concluded before Ramadan.

3. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

If Ramazan (Ramadan is Arabic) is genuinely inconvenient, then Polls should be shifted. The aim of the polls is to have the maximum exercise of vote, and that all candidates and populace get equal opportunity.

Blackwater and Razor like this.
  4. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

To be fair to them, they are asking for postponement so that it helps them exercise their democratic rights. I don't think there is anything sinister here. West Bengal is pretty hot at this time and combined with the 5 times of prayers one devoutly follows during this month, those guys may have felt it was better to postpone.

Having said that, I don't condone the tone of one of them whose statement has been reported here. Demanding an apology from Mamta for inconveniencing Muslims. Keep the language civil and conciliatory to be considered for redressal

Razor likes this.
  5. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

As far as they're not opposing elections, it's not an issue. If demand is genuine and it looks so, may be SC can do something about it.

6. arnabmit

arnabmit Homo Communis Indus Senior Member

Mamta wanted pre or post ramzan polls, but EC & HC didn't agree.

7. rock127

rock127 Maulana Rockullah Senior Member

How have the authorities handled this situation before?

Is this the first time the elections are clashing with Ramazan? :hmm:

8. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Usually Central Elections are timed to coincide with patterns where maximum number of people vote, and candidates/parties are able to properly canvas.

9. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

how long before didi accuses them of being communists and tells them to shut up ?

pmaitra likes this.
  10. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

If it is so inconvenient then why do Ramadan.

11. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Its not inconvenient to observe Ramadan. Its the elections during the month that they are finding it difficult.

Actually, though in my previous post I pondered on possible reasons, its not the 50s or 60s where people used to walk long distances to get to poll booths. In modern time with access to transportation systems and electronic voting machines, I don't think voting would be a problem at any time.

12. drkrn

drkrn Senior Member Senior Member

Ramadan is a holy month for Muslims,they do prayers and fasting.regular works are never halted/stopped
    i see this as a political game for gaining more Muslim votes only

may be Muslim brothers in this forum can express their views

13. drkrn

drkrn Senior Member Senior Member

elections are not held continuously for a week.they happen for a day or so but at a different place at different time depending on geographic ease and human resources.may be conducting elections in Ramadan makes difficult for Muslim leaders to campaign at different times while people are busy

14. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

YB this must be a Congress game to disturb the peace in WB and embarass Momota.

15. Coalmine

Coalmine Regular Member

The elections were to be held in december 2012 i think. But mamata madam under some reason tried to block it under some reason,like extreme heat,not availability of security personnel etc. Now she is giving reasons of ramadan. I believe she would have asked some muslim leader to orchestrate protests. I believe she fears some votes may be gained by CPM this time.

16. A chauhan

A chauhan "अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l" Senior Member

Useless demand, how much time it takes to vote? Not more than 1 hour, it can be done observing Ramzan, why to disturb a democratic system for personal convinience ? Religious politics at its best.

wolfpackx1 and parijataka like this.
  17. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Election lines are huge and it takes more than one hour to vote for many.

Elections should not be held during religious festivals or activities are going on.

18. natarajan

natarajan Senior Member Senior Member

Usually all school and college activiities goes on ,they just need 2 sqfoot place to worship and just a towel to put up on floor.So this kind of request should be turned down ,if not tomorrow they will come up with lot of idiotic requests like shutting down of education institutes for 1 month,no other festivels should fall in this month etc.Whether it is diwali ,aadi month,Christmas ,the govenment should not succumb to pressure

A chauhan, parijataka and Sabir like this.
  19. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

They do fast everyday in Ramdan. That should be counted. I know how you feel when you do "Nirjala Ekadashi" or " Bheem Ekadshi". But if this is about vote bank politics, must be stopped.

20. Sabir

Sabir DFI TEAM Senior Member

I dont think Ramadan is an obstacle for conducting election. Muslims do all there regular works -office , business etc during Ramdan. Once a Moulana explained me that Ramdan doesnt mean you keep fast spend the whole day in bed doing nothing. However , In India its a trend to cry in each and everything. Hope Court will reject the petition.

wolfpackx1 and parijataka like this.
  21. Sabir

Sabir DFI TEAM Senior Member

Nat.....for first time you are saying which I do agree :taunt: