Mumbai: Congress-NCP Wins Civic Polls in Hazare's Home District

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by ejazr, Dec 16, 2011.

1. ejazr

ejazr Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Mumbai: Congress-NCP Wins Civic Polls in Hazare's Home District

Mumbai, Dec 15 (IANS): People in Anna Hazare's home district voted largely in favour of the Congress and Nationalist Congress Party in the civic body elections, the final results of which were declared here Wednesday.

In Hazare's Ahmednagar district, of the total 173 seats spread across eight civic bodies, the Congress has bagged 80 while the NCP got 37, totaling to 117, virtually retaining their existing positions.

The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) got 14 seats while Shiv Sena got three, a paltry 17 total.

However, smaller registered parties got 30 seats and nine seats were bagged by independents or rebels, totaling to 39. (117+17+39 = 173 total seats in the district).

In Ahmednagar district, while the Congress has gained control over Rahata-Pimpals, Sangamner and Shrirampur civic bodies, its ally the NCP has bagged Pathardi, while in Kopargaon it would have to ally with smaller parties to rule the 26-strong civic body.

Last week, 175 civic bodies with a total of 3,825 seats went to the polls in two phases in the state, while elections to 22 seats are yet to be held on account of different reasons.

From the results of 3,825 seats declared so far, the NCP emerged as the biggest vote catcher, bagging 1,043 seats, across various civic bodies across Maharashtra, sending alarm bells ringing in the Congress.

The Congress follows closely with 968 seats.

On the other hand, the BJP secured 342 seats, with its ally Shiv Sena getting 323 seats - an indicator that its alliance with the Dalit party, Republican Party of India has made little impact on the voters.

While Raj Thackeray-led Maharashtra Navnirman Sena secured 33 seats, smaller registered parties have bagged 623 seats, while independents, including rebels from various parties, scored a bull's eye in 353 seats.

In the finally tally, the NCP has emerged in a commanding position in a majority of the civic bodies followed by the Congress, all over the state, jolting the BJP-SS-RPI alliance.

Early February, there will be another electoral test for all the parties with elections to major municipal corporations, including Mumbai, Thane, Pune and other important cities scheduled.

3. Param

Param Senior Member Senior Member

Great! I want both Congress and BJP to say bye bye.

4. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

Lets see what happens in the Andhra Civic polls

5. ejazr

I wonder if Sharad Pawar would ask to be made the PM candidate if he can really grab a major hold over Maha. There are also rumours he is making entry into Karnataka by roping in the Yeddy club.

With is corruption record, it would be another disaster waiting to happen.

6. LurkerBaba

LurkerBaba Staff Administrator

NCP= Sharad Pawar

7. LurkerBaba

LurkerBaba Staff Administrator

NCP= Sharad Pawar

8. ejazr

I wonder if Sharad Pawar would ask to be made the PM candidate if he can really grab a major hold over Maha. There are also rumours he is making entry into Karnataka by roping in the Yeddy club.

With is corruption record, it would be another disaster waiting to happen.

Nagraj and sesha_maruthi27 like this.
  9. agentperry

agentperry Senior Member Senior Member

as i said before that running a nation and running a govt are two different things now and congress is definitely good in latter if not both.
    winning anna's stronghold is clear indication of their capability of running a govt

10. Iamanidiot

I rather prefer Rahul Gandhi as PM rather than Sharad Pawar

11. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

I would rather prefer MMS than rahul.

Nagraj likes this.
  12. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

i doubt it, in the present state assembly in MH, NCP has more seats than congress and they bargained hard for the CM's post but didnt get, though they did get the deputy CM post and rr patil back as home minister.

yeddy in NCP, boy if this happens, karnataka is going to get very interesting and NCP could become a big deal there. i think more than anything, this offer by NCP has only strengthened yeddy's position more within BJP.

13. Iamanidiot

Maharasthra does not even have proper opposition party .Lets see how they fare in A.P civic polls .Punjab is in Congress pocket

14. amitkriit

amitkriit Senior Member Senior Member

NDA has not been able to project itself as an alternative to UPA, and UPA will reap the benefit out of it. Congress will form the next government in centre. I cannot see any difference between the two blocks, in fact people trust UPA more as far as successfully running the governments is concerned.

15. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

LOL So much of Anna effect! :rofl:

Outsiders might be worshipping Anna currently but central & southern Maharashtrians know true colrs of him.

This is utter failure of Sena-Bjp inspite of all the advantage they had. Ask Gopinath Mundhe!

16. Param

Param Senior Member Senior Member

No, in MH the opposition is not strong besides it is divided.Besides I guess the the opposition votes get split unless there is a seat sharing arrangement already.

17. amitkriit

amitkriit Senior Member Senior Member

Indian voters are divided into blocks, and it is not easy to sway away people from their traditional loyalties. People will keep voting in the way they have been if a good alternative doesn't come into sight. We can look at Bihar for an example, Nitish brought that change.

Anna Effect can do nothing if people don't have an alternative. Why do we expect the equally corrupt and totally incompetent NDA to get votes?

The Messiah likes this.
  18. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

BJP cant get their shyt right in maharashtra, prefer losing due to internal ego-wars.

Delhi toh abhi bahot door hai!

amitkriit likes this.
  19. Iamanidiot

Maharasthrians are an enigma wrapped inside a zerda pan.They are either worshipped as gods or they either get chappals nothing in the middle.On one side we have Anna Hazare,Tendulkar,Lata Mangeshkar and Shivaji Rao Gaekwad.On the other side we have the thackerays ,Sharad Pawar and Dawood Ibrahim.Strange chaps

20. sukhish

sukhish Senior Member Senior Member

I would prefer baba ramdev, sadhvi pragya and the rest of the saffaron brigade to form the govt their own.
    anna is good only for lokpal. the can't even enter UP where mayawati was pretty close to selling taj mahal couple of years ago.

21. Iamanidiot

Not the saffron bunch please they will collectively make us drink cow pee .Not enamoured by that prospect