Multiple Missile Sale To Vietnam Including ToT

gekko

This is the era of modi. We did things we couldn't have imagined before. We rescued so many people from Yemen and Syria at lightning speed. We did the surgical strikes while keeping absolute secrecy before it.
Demonetization hit without even a whisper of it. Chinese suddenly found Indian soldiers blocking road at doklam and went into a shock they are yet to recover.

We are getting better and better at surprising.

Now either the missiles are with Vietnam and we might want quite because of Russia.
Or the whole drama was to just give a glimpse to chinese of future if they don't back off.
The missiles were most probably already supplied, otherwise if you announce earlier, then there is a risk that China might have tried to intercept the supplies. We supplied it to them and waited for a Chinese provocation, just like we made a longer range BrahMos but waited till we were a member of MTCR to announce that a long range BrahMos has been made. We used to claim that our BrahMos has only 290km range, because MTCR does not allow Russia to sell missiles with a range more than 300km missiles.

We also have a civil-nuclear arrangement with Argentina, which is dual purpose enough for Britain sit up and take notice but not big enough to make them a nuclear weapons nation. Falklands is to Britain what Kashmir is to us. If Britain meddles too much, one day even Argentina might announce a nuclear test out of the blue.

I wouldn't exactly say that it is due to Modi or Congress. These things are part of perspective plans which are 25+ year long. If Vietnam has announced the receipt of BrahMos today, it's not something that was initiated after Modi came to power. Pranab Mukherjee has been visiting Vietnam since many years and doing a lot of quiet diplomacy.

It's not just the weapon system, there's training, simulators, installation, trucks for the canister launched versions. This was in the pipeline since long, it's just been announced now, because the Dokhlam excuse was very potent.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
This is the era of modi. We did things we couldn't have imagined before. We rescued so many people from Yemen and Syria at lightning speed. We did the surgical strikes while keeping absolute secrecy before it.
Demonetization hit without even a whisper of it. Chinese suddenly found Indian soldiers blocking road at doklam and went into a shock they are yet to recover.

We are getting better and better at surprising.

Now either the missiles are with Vietnam and we might want quite because of Russia.
Or the whole drama was to just give a glimpse to chinese of future if they don't back off.
Ofcourse it is possible...

Brahmos corp is the lead integrator for the missile system. Many sub components are supplied by many companies across India. Keeping an eye on any of the primary sub-component manufacturers will give an idea on numbers of systems being manufactured.

One possibility is that among the Brahmos systems approved by DAC in the past three years for IA, one of them was actually meant for Vietnam. That way no suspicions are raised, one system is built fully and just ship them out secretly to Vietnam.

indus

Living in Post Truth
Country flag
There is another news item from Vietnam media. It is a tacit admission that missiles have been received by Vietnam.

http://tuoitrenews.vn/news/society/20170818/breakfast-tuoi-tre-news-august-18/41025.html

Politics

-- Prime Minister of Turkey Binali Yildirim will visit Vietnam from August 22 to 24 at the invitation of his Vietnamese counterpart Nguyen Xuan Phuc.

-- Responding international news saying Vietnam has recently received a batch of BrahMos missiles from India, spokesperson of the Vietnamese foreign ministry Le Thi Thu Hang said Vietnam maintains its defense policy of peace and self-defense, and the purchase of defense equipment is in line with the policy and is a normal practice to protect the country.

Society

-- The People’s Committee of the central province of Quang Ngai has recently fined local Hiep Thanh paper manufacturing factory VND47 million (US$2,070) for discharging untreated wastewater into the environment.

-- Ho Chi Minh City police said it has recently broken up a prostitution ring involving several local models and actresses who were paid between $700 and $2,500 each time serving their ‘clients.’

-- Many sleeper buses in the Western, Eastern, An Suong and Nga Tu Ga bus stations in Ho Chi Minh City either lack fire extinguishers or use expired products, Le Hong Viet, deputy chief inspector of the municipal transport department said Thursday.

-- The number of dengue cases in Hanoi has reached 3,440 this week, slightly decreased from 3,447 cases last week, according to the city’s health department.

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
Maybe MEA did not mean to reveal the missile transfer and hoped to hold back its news? Maybe they wanted to make use of the announcement to increase pressure on China on the Doklam issue at a more opportune time and juncture? And the media reports blew the lid. Oh well, at least we know it happened. Hope they make it official soon.

Chinese suddenly found Indian soldiers blocking road at doklam and went into a shock they are yet to recover.
:pound::rofl::clap2::rotfl::lawl::hehe:

Kalki_2018

Country flag
Does India have to announce any missile sale? Especially like Akash and Brahmos which are less than 3000 km range and confirm to MTCR. Agni-1 is a different ball game. Instead like the scud series India should help countries like Vietnam and Afghanistan use Prithvi-ii/iii as baseline for their missiles.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
India weapons are good, we will buy more in the future.
Welcome to the forum. Please do share on your thoughts on other fields of cooperation where India and Vietnam can work together. Please also share information on oil exploration efforts done by your government within and beyond south Vietnam sea region.

Varun2002

Country flag
Very good developments between India and Vietnam. Ok, the term TOT triggered a desire to see a thread about successful Indian TOT( transfer of tech) to other countries. I can name a few- natural and synthetic dyes to Vietnam; , caffeine from tea leaves to Oman; paper from date palm leaves to Oman; electrolytic manganese dioxide to Myanmar;, explosives detection technology to the US; corDECT( from IIT) installations in Madagascar and Tunisa et al; solar photovoltaic tech to Syria etc;

There would be many more. But it's hard to find it on the internet. Is it interesting/worthy enough for a thread?

MVinh

Country flag
yeah, i love this forum, just discoverd it a month ago. I'll upload more posts in the future.
Anyway, i'm not quite sure about the sale of missile system, i don't know how much a Prithvi I or
Prahaar system cost but i can see Scud is really cheap and effective. In the past, India supported us a lot and right now India still does the same. We appreciate that but think about it. We don't have huge economy to afford adequate amount of missile system across our border with China(just in case). We look for something less expensive but works well. We hope to strengthen our relationship more and more in the future.
Once again, we thank you for helping us in the Sukhoi training, those commercial pacts and many great things you bring to us

Akula

Country flag
yeah, i love this forum, just discoverd it a month ago. I'll upload more posts in the future.
Anyway, i'm not quite sure about the sale of missile system, i don't know how much a Prithvi I or
Prahaar system cost but i can see Scud is really cheap and effective. In the past, India supported us a lot and right now India still does the same. We appreciate that but think about it. We don't have huge economy to afford adequate amount of missile system across our border with China(just in case). We look for something less expensive but works well. We hope to strengthen our relationship more and more in the future.
Once again, we thank you for helping us in the Sukhoi training, those commercial pacts and many great things you bring to us
Prithvi missile are to be replaced with new missiles. There are new weapon systems (SRBM, MBRL, SAM's) under development which in future may be exported.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Prithvi is pretty cheap it is similar to Scud with better accuracy and cheaper. But both Scud and Prithvi use liquid fuel and have its disadvantage.

We are replacing them with solid fuel Prahar. And Prithvi -3 with solid fuel.

While the older liquid fuel one are added with a solid fuel booster to increase range. Prithvi -2

Another thing is with Vietnam it is generally a barter deal. For e.g. Rice from Vietnam used to be supplied to Iran as oil payment for India in return of payment for Sukhoi spare parts etc.

Also as per our Look east policy Vietnam is our most important ally for trade and military both in future. We have been cutting down our dependence on agriculture produce from Malaysia etc to get it from Vietnam.

Having said that Both India and Vietnam are developing nation we have to take care of a huge population in our respective nation but it can't be possible without minimum deterrence and missile is the cheapest way to achieve it.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles