MTA Program by UAC/HAL

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Ukraine’s Antonov is the frontrunner for HAL’s military aircraft programme
Ukrainian state-run Antonov has emerged as the frontrunner for Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd.’s (HAL) medium military transport aircraft programme.
HAL had received five proposals on its proposal to select a partner to manufacture a 50-80 seater aircraft in India. Out of the five bids, Antonov emerged as a clear winner as it met all the requirements set by HAL, sources toldBusinessLine.
The Ukrainian firm, which had signed an agreement with Reliance Defence in April for joint production of their platforms in India, makes aircraft that can play both civil and military roles.
Apart from Antonov, GKN Aerospace, IAI, Ilyushin and ATR had also placed bids for the project. What worked in Antonov’s favour is that compared to all the other entrants, its series of aircraft are of recent design with state-of-the-art aviation systems like fly-by-wire, high-efficiency engines and all-weather operations.
According to estimates, the demand for 50-80 seater aircraft is expected to increase owing to the focus on tier II and III cities under the new Civil Aviation Policy. “HAL intends to leverage this opportunity through a partnering arrangement with an OEM under the Make in India programme,” officials said.
Antonov or AN class of aircraft have been part of the Indian Air Force (IAF) for over five decades. The IAF has more than 100 AN-32 aircraft recently upgraded on its inventory.
HAL is also looking at Antonov for additional military functions such as troop carrying and cargo, maritime patrol and reconnaissance, search and rescue operations.

pmaitra

The MTA/Ilyushin-214 has or will have 2 x Soloviёv PS-14/PD-14 engines with no FADEC. This translates into 2 x 153 kN = 306 kN.

The Sukhoi Superjet 100 has 2 x PowerJet SaM146 engines with FADEC. This translates into 2 x 80 kN = 160 kN.

If the MTA/Ilyushin-214 can be modified to have four engines like the Ilyushin-76, then we will have 4 x PowerJet SaM146 engines with FADEC. This will translate into 4 x 80 kN = 320 kN, more than what is available with the current MTA/Ilyushin-214. The extra power might be useful if the fuselage or the wings need to be extended for extra fuel capacity and equipment.

@gadeshi, your views on this?

@Gessler, @garg_bharat, @Bahamut, et al., please chip in.
4 engines will increase down time of the aircraft, cost of spares and maintenance will increase and that will make the project unfeasible for the aircraft size of IL214.
I wish to add to what I had said earlier. Due to lack of time, I didn't quite do a comprehensive research.

The Tupolev-204/214 is equipped with the Soloviёv PS-90 engines. These have FADEC, and produce 171 kN each. Thus, two such engines wil produce 2 x 171 = 342 kN, more than sufficient for the MTA/Ilyushin-214.

Zebra

Country flag
@Zebra,

If IAF is serious about MTA, it will revive the project. India is not in a position of strength. Russia can build airplanes without India. India cannot build airplanes without Russia. If India can, then it should go ahead, just like Russia has gone ahead, with or without India.

Since IAF was insistent on FADEC, I only offered a solution to resolve the impasse.
My best of luck to them.

And don't worry about India, it can figure out it with something else too.

What say..................!

pmaitra

My best of luck to them.

And don't worry about India, it can figure out it with something else too.

What say..................!
Let me know when you have figured out what India has figured out to do.

pmaitra

Another aircraft of that MTA size.
Another aircraft of that MTA size - what? Will India build it, or straight up import it? What aircraft is it?

Let me know when you have a specific answer.

Zebra

Country flag
Another aircraft of that MTA size - what? Will India build it, or straight up import it? What aircraft is it?

Let me know when you have a specific answer.
'Make in India ' is the answer.

Let me add something more.............make in India with Indian private sector companies only.

pmaitra

'Make in India ' is the answer.

Let me add something more.............make in India with Indian private sector companies only.
Ok, so that answers one question, that India will make it in India. Looking forward to the first flight, private or public, doesn't matter. Building the aircraft matters.

Last edited:

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
is MTA still on cards or scrapped???

Lions Of Punjab

Country flag
http://www.defenseworld.net/news/18...port_Aircraft_Program_Terminated#.WNYrGdKGPIV

Scale model of MTA
- A +
Russia confirms that a joint Indo-Russian project to develop a new medium-airlift military transport aircraft, the UAC/HAL II-214 Multi-role Transport Aircraft (MTA) has been terminated.

"In practice, not all projects yield results. During the execution of the project, which lasted five years, we did not manage to find such a solution that would be beneficial for the two countries," Russian Industry and Trade Minister Denis Manturov told TASS Friday.

According to him, Russia will switch to other more interesting projects being executed with India’s Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) Corporation.

At present, Russia is working on a joint fifth-generation fighter aircraft (FGFA) with India and it is fulfilling its obligations, President of Russia’s United Aircraft Corporation (UAC) Yuri Slyusar told the news agency on Thursday.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

=======================

Produced by HAL under license, Blue prints are there and its a possibility a more enhanced version of this can be made in India ..

Larger, Bigger, Spacious with Jets under its wings, Just a thought..

scatterStorm

Country flag

=======================

Produced by HAL under license, Blue prints are there and its a possibility a more enhanced version of this can be made in India ..

Larger, Bigger, Spacious with Jets under its wings, Just a thought..
What do you think, something of the likes of C130J? I mean we can do it, but does tejas development can lead to such airframe design? I firmly believe that HAL and DRDO can come up to something like C130J, we can build the airframe, avionics can be bought from foreign partners.

Taking challenges like these would only lead us towards indignation.

What the plane you showed are quite similar to C130J, I mean not in a literal sense but we can modify the airframe, hook some new engines and all the DFBW and lead a team of computer scientist who can deliver terrain mapping software. We can also hook Uttam AESA as a test bed on this.

The two crashes of our C130s were due to not anticipating the terrain. US knew this that ultimately we would require a terrain mapping software, damn them. But we can also do this right?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Shortsightedness and lack of coordination can lead to such situation ..

Its similar to bofors FH-77 blueprints which are available since 80s but we were issue failed tender for 30 years, Until General VK Singh hinted out and now we have Dhanush, ATAGS which is top best towed 155mm/52cal arty system on the globe..

AVRO 748 is a old design but with better insight a new one which suits the need can be made out of it in shortest time possible, Just like ATAGS design is influenced by Dhanush and Dhanush design is enhanced form of FH-77 ..

Bahamut

Shortsightedness and lack of coordination can lead to such situation ..

Its similar to bofors FH-77 blueprints which are available since 80s but we were issue failed tender for 30 years, Until General VK Singh hinted out and now we have Dhanush, ATAGS which is top best towed 155mm/52cal arty system on the globe..

AVRO 748 is a old design but with better insight a new one which suits the need can be made out of it in shortest time possible, Just like ATAGS design is influenced by Dhanush and Dhanush design is enhanced form of FH-77 ..
Il 214 has twice the lifting capacity (passenger) with fout times the payload(5 tons vs 20 tons) also with twice the speed (450 vs 870 kmph).The new design will need four turboprop or 2 turbojet ,wings must be shoulder mounted .Plus fuselage need to expanded along with new electronics .

Kay

Country flag
Project scrapped. Big loss for India.

Kay

Country flag
Please merge this with main MTA thread.

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
It is looking like a nice coordinated drama.
Russians are real blood suckers..always keeping India away from development by any means and then selling same product and make money by short supplying spares.
And the real traitors are in the government both HAL,Airforce and MOD.

Filtercoffee

Country flag
It is looking like a nice coordinated drama.
Russians are real blood suckers..always keeping India away from development by any means and then selling same product and make money by short supplying spares.
And the real traitors are in the government both HAL,Airforce and MOD.
This isn't true, it was designed by both the companies and put on stall for the market.

sthf

Country flag
It feels like people want to follow the Iranian model. Reverse engineer an F-5 from the 50s, slap on some avionics and voilà you have a platform that is "just as modern, just as capable" as the F-16. That never works.

That bloody thing was designed in the 50s. Please don't bring up the "even C-130 is old". This machine & its design is outdated even for its current role let alone a larger future platform.

Initiating a new program won't make it economically feasible as order of just 45 units is not enough and the market is already saturated.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles