Motherland or Fatherland ?

kseeker

Retired
Definition from Wikipedia.

Fatherland is the nation of one's "fathers", "forefathers" or "patriarchs". It can be viewed as a nationalist concept, insofar as it relates to nations.

Motherland may refer to a mother country, i.e. the place of one's birth, the place of origin of an ethnic group or immigrant, or a Metropole in contrast to its colonies.

A homeland (rel. country of origin and native land) is the concept of the place (cultural geography) to which an ethnic group holds a long history and a deep cultural association with —the country in which a particular national identity began.

What are your thoughts on Fatherland, Motherland or Homeland ?

Is India our Motherland or Fatherland or Homeland ?

Himanshu Pandey

its all 3 I think.. as our mother, fathers and home all has been here from several thousand years... these definitions are mainly created in europe which has seen mass immigration till few hundred years ago from one place to another... and is not fit to be used to define India in any one parameter.

kseeker

Retired
its all 3 I think.. as our mother, fathers and home all has been here from several thousand years... these definitions are mainly created in europe which has seen mass immigration till few hundred years ago from one place to another... and is not fit to be used to define India in any one parameter.
You might be correct however, I heard people calling Mother India (Bhaarat Mataa) in various occasions. Aa far as I have noticed, we (Indians) call our nation as Motherland in general context.

Himanshu Pandey

You might be correct however, I heard people calling Mother India (Bhaarat Mataa) in various occasions. Aa far as I have noticed, we (Indians) call our nation as Motherland in general context.
yees its mother India then birthland(when we call it janmbhumi) and then we name males as bharat in India (monoj kumar was famous as bharat kumar and several people have name bharat) so all I can say is we are flexible when we consider our nation

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
As per the definitions:

The son of a German Jew from pre WWII era, born and brought up in USA would call

USA = Motherland
Germany = Fatherland
Israel = Homeland

Quite confusing!!!

dealwithit

These things are for immigrants... We are not immigrants

jews for asia to europe to usa...

For indian origin who born in USA it may be
Homeland/Father land India
motherland USA

kseeker

Retired
most of the european nations use father land.. even france use fatherland
How about other countries ? Like USA, Canada, African nations, Latin America, Australia, Gulf Countries etc ? Any ideas ?

What about Pakistan ? Motherland Pakistan or Fatherland Pakistan ? ;)

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Confusing for Pakis... Motherland is also Auntyland, Fatherland is also Uncleland. One of the smaller consequences of inbreeding.

How about other countries ? Like USA, Canada, African nations, Latin America, Australia, Gulf Countries etc ? Any ideas ?

Himanshu Pandey

most of them consider it as home land and pakistani thinks their is fortress of Islam not land....as the concept of nation is not very strong in Africa and arab world.. its tribes, religion and land where they lived(home)..

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A.V. Heroes of the Motherland Defence & Strategy 42
A Why Pakistanis refer their country as Fatherland. Defence & Strategy 10

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles