Most priests prone to call of flesh, says Kerala nun

parijataka

Country flag
Sister Mary Chandy is to release her autobiography called `Swasthy` in which she describes the sordid secrets of sexual abuse of Catholics nuns by their male counterparts. Sr Mary left the Presentation Convent where she served for more than 5 decades and now takes care of 17 abandoned children. She says those who are unable to keep the vows of celibacy should be allowed to exit gently - makes sense.

Most priests prone to call of flesh, says Kerala nun

While the Catholic Church is still struggling to come out of the impact of Amen –The Autobiography Of A Nun, penned by Sr Jesme, another nun, 76-year-old Sr Mary Chandy, who had served the Presentation Convent for more than five decades, is all set to rock the state with yet another tale of bitter truth replete with incidents of sexual abuse, rape attempts and killing of new-born babies, through her autobiography, Swasthy.

In an exclusive interview to DC on Saturday, the nun said that almost all those who choose the cloister are more vulnerable to the 'call of the body than the call of the spirit'.

Fondly called Sisteramma, the saree-clad, soft but strong willed nun was at the tiny rented house of Santhisadhan Balamandiram on the outskirts of the border town here, where she lives with 17 abandoned children whom she calls 'children of God'.

The nun goes back to her own experiences. "I was once the target of rape and when I protested a clergyman's attempt and carried the issue to the church, it was I, and not he, who was put under tremendous mental pressure", she said.

Sr Mary left the order 12 years ago. "Now I feel closer to God", she said.

"In the system when you question the order, what is left for you is only tears and suffering", she added.

"Most of the nuns succumb to persuasive machinations which result in unwanted babies, sin and situations", said Sr Mary.

"My autobiography, Swasthy, when published, will surely create a whirlwind of sorts as I have exposed the sequence of many such ordeals I experienced in my 56 years as a nun", she said.

Is she afraid to go public about such subjects? Or is she rebelling?

"I am not a rebel and am not afraid of anybody, except God", she said. Sr Mary is of the opinion that there should be people ready to express bitter truths, only then can the system be refined.

"Why does the system allow people who are incapable of keeping their vow of celibacy, to continue in the church? Such people should be allowed to have a gentle exit.

KS

Bye bye DFI
This is open secret...the primal instincts of man can be controlled only so much and almost everyone knows what happens behind those white gowns...it does not matter if he is a priest or a father or cardinal or even the pope.

But will the book "allowed" to be published, considering the undue influence Church has on the Kerala State govt ? That is the question that needs to be answered.

parijataka

Country flag
Already there is a book in Malayalam called `Amen –The Autobiography Of A Nun` published by Sister Jesme on similar lines. Time to time incidents are reported of goings on inside xtian organisations in Kerala such as the rape and murder of Sister Abhaya. I think Catholic Church should consider allowing their priests and nuns to marry or let them go if they desire. They are trying to suppress natural urges by making celibacy a condition.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
What she is about to reveal is nothing surprising.

lemontree

Professional
The book must be published. The christians must know about the clergy.

They must be aware of the weaknesses of the system.

I know of people who have been victims as well as those who have been parasites within the clergy.

Last edited:

peacecracker

allow to marry and do the service - "deacons" as they are called will solve this issue. but, catholic church uses nuns as free work force. Italian influence from Christianity must be erased permanently. Eastern Christianity must be revived. the stereotype of Westernized "Christians" will also die with this.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It is the Catholic Church where marriage is not allowed.

The Anglican Church allows Priest to be married.

Therefore, the issue is with the Catholic Church and the Orthodox Churches as they are known.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
it's time for Christian priests to be allowed to have family life.
They do, they are called Protestants. It is time for Catholics to convert to the modern teachings of Christ and move away from these archaic rituals steeped in pagan roots.

p2prada

They do, they are called Protestants. It is time for Catholics to convert to the modern teachings of Christ and move away from these archaic rituals steeped in pagan roots.
Says the guy with 666 likes. :p

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles