Most muslims across the world want sharia law---PEW study

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Give them every aspect of Sharia and they will soon realise!

I would love every Muslim fornicator stoned!

Every Muslim thief having their hands cut off!
@Singh, any opinion?

Last edited by a moderator:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Give them every aspect of Sharia and they will soon realise!

I would love every Muslim fornicator stoned!

Every Muslim thief having their hands cut off!
@Singh, any opinion?
I will quote Voltaire

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.

I hope you do realize that for 6 pages in a different thread, I have tried to show to the best of my abilities that Shariat Courts in India and demand for Shariat to be the Law of the Land are two completely different things.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Those who want it should be shown videos of Taliban rule in Astan.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Those who want it should be shown videos of Taliban rule in Astan.
Playing the devil's advocate.

How was this question framed ?

Did it say, are you ok with Shariat ?
Or did it say, do you want to do away with the current system in your country, and impose Shariat whether people like it or not ?

I don't think any practicing Muslim would say I don't believe in Shariat or I don't want to follow Shariat, because it would be tantamount to blasphemy.

However, I don't think a majority of practicing Muslims living in non-Shariat governed states are actively trying to impose Shariat on others or trying to subvert the governing Constitutions of those countries.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Most Muslims in the Middle East, North Africa, sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia and Southeast Asia would like sharia, or Islamic law, to be "the official law of the land," according to a new survey from the Pew Research Center.
The idea was most popular among Muslims surveyed in Iraq and Afghanistan and least popular in Central Asia, Russia and the Balkans, where less than half of Muslims supported it.
However, the study also reveals that sharia means different things to different Muslims, the Los Angeles Times reported. Some survey participants told researchers that it should only apply to Muslims. Others want religious judges to oversee family law, but not punish criminals.
Pew researchers interviewed more than 38,000 Muslims in 39 countries in Europe, Asia, the Middle East and Africa between 2008 and 2012 for the study, which was released today. Researchers did not visit several countries with large Muslim populations, including China, India, Saudi Arabia and Syria, due to political or security reasons.
The poll also detected differences about morality among Muslims worldwide, the Christian Science Monitor reported. While most said suicide, homosexuality, abortion and prostitution are morally wrong, there were regional disagreements on whether divorce, birth control, polygamy are acceptable.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/...ost-muslims-want-sharia-be-the-law-the-land-p
Survey not conducted in China, India and Saudi Arabia.

What's important is that people have said interpretation of Shariah is important and that is where the problem lies. Who is considered the right person to judge?

What many also said they support Sharia in civil matters but not criminal. No one wants to lose their hands and be stoned

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Islamic Fiqh is irrelevant to those who don't wish to apply it.
A facetious argument at best.

Then they would not be Muslims!

I don't think any practicing Muslim would say I don't believe in Shariat or I don't want to follow Shariat, because it would be tantamount to blasphemy.
Most Muslims would not say they don't believe, but they sure would say, leave us alone and not politicise Islam, under the fake concern for Muslims!

Educate us and let us stand up in society as equals and not beg for your condescending and fake concerns and alms!

We have seen all this political fake statements for caring for Muslims, but what actually has been done? Give doles and alms that are only in words during election time? Anything thereafter?

And what is worse is that such fake promises outrages others, who call it appeasement, and all it does is alienate society! The Muslims still get nothing!

No good for Muslims and no good for the country.

It is time we let the Muslims alone and not bother them with foolish and silly and meaningless 'concerns' for their well being. They are quite capable of looking after themselves.

Check out the Bohras and the Aga Khanies!

They live in their own 'world' and requires no one's concerns or munificence!

And they don't shout from the rooftop that injustice is being done to them and they don't bother others too!

And yet, they are staunch Muslims!

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Playing the devil's advocate.

How was this question framed ?

Did it say, are you ok with Shariat ?
Or did it say, do you want to do away with the current system in your country, and impose Shariat whether people like it or not ?

However, I don't think a majority of practicing Muslims living in non-Shariat governed states are actively trying to impose Shariat on others or trying to subvert the governing Constitutions of those countries.
What is Shariah? There are many aspects to it.

Shariah as a way of life and Shariah as a system of justice. I am no scholar but from what little I know, people have twisted it a lot.

Every age had its system of laws. Laws changed and were adopted in tune with the time. I don't know if the Prophet SAW said that this is the only way you can live but said this is the ideal way to live. Or for the criminal justice system of the time as one being absolute with no scope for change.

Something the prophet said like pray Namaz 5 times, keep a beard etc are advice to live your life. How many in the Muslim world strictly pray 5 times? How many strictly keep a beard without even trimming it?

I mean there are many things. But the report says that most surveyed said they don't mind Shariah for civil cases but not for criminal.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
A facetious argument at best.

Then they would not be Muslims!

Most Muslims would not say they don't believe, but they sure would say, leave us alone and not politicise Islam, under the fake concern for Muslims!

Educate us and let us stand up in society as equals and not beg for your condescending and fake concerns and alms!
It is you who is politicizing Islam, and insulting Islamic beliefs imho.

I am not pro or anti-muslims, if you perceive it, then I would blame your own biases for that.

Islamic Fiqh or jurisprudence is not my business, if two muslims want to conduct their "personal" affairs as Islamic Fiqh, they should be allowed to do so.

The Supreme Court indeed has allowed it.

As long as there is no "Uniform Civil Code" in India, all your arguments are facetious because they are anti-thetical to State's interpretation of the Constitution.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I say leave the Muslims alone and let them live their own lives without Govt interference and false concern.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It is you who is politicizing Islam, and insulting Islamic beliefs imho.

I am not pro or anti-muslims, if you perceive it, then I would blame your own biases for that.

Islamic Fiqh or jurisprudence is not my business, if two muslims want to conduct their "personal" affairs as Islamic Fiqh, they should be allowed to do so.

The Supreme Court indeed has allowed it.

As long as there is no "Uniform Civil Code" in India, all your arguments are facetious because they are anti-thetical to State's interpretation of the Constitution.
It is time you learn about Islam before being the advocate.

I am neither pro nor anti any religion and that is why I find extreme views most disconcerting.

Neither I take anything and everything as the Gospel Truth!

I do not insult religion and instead I provide links to each issue on such sensitive issue to back what I say.

I am not prone to personal views without backing it up with authority and not any junk authority like the plethora of anti Islamic forums either. In fact, I reject their slurs.

It is too bad that our mindset has been driven by politicians to this state ridiculous matrix where we have to act coy and smug on such issue to show we are 'secular'.

You may have conveniently missed out on my comments on Togadia and the Akhand Bharat concept.

You may have convenient missed out that I am not a Hindu.

No one is secular, for each political party has an agenda - garner votes with false pretenses!

Fiqh is the mainstay and I am surprised you are not aware of it and treat it so perfunctorily.

What has Supreme Court allowed.

The Shariat Courts?

If so when and what are the parameters?

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
What is Shariah? There are many aspects to it.

Shariah as a way of life and Shariah as a system of justice. I am no scholar but from what little I know, people have twisted it a lot.

Every age had its system of laws. Laws changed and were adopted in tune with the time. I don't know if the Prophet SAW said that this is the only way you can live but said this is the ideal way to live. Or for the criminal justice system of the time as one being absolute with no scope for change.

Something the prophet said like pray Namaz 5 times, keep a beard etc are advice to live your life. How many in the Muslim world strictly pray 5 times? How many strictly keep a beard without even trimming it?

I mean there are many things. But the report says that most surveyed said they don't mind Shariah for civil cases but not for criminal.
Yes or No Questionnaire

Are you a Muslim ?
Do you believe in Quran ?
Do you wish to live as per laws of Quran ?

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
It is time you learn about Islam before being the advocate.
First understand what am I advocating ?

I am simply advocating, what Constitution as interpreted by the State is also advocating.
Right to an individual to conduct his personal affairs as per his religious beliefs.

===
I am neither pro nor anti any religion and that is why I find extreme views most disconcerting.
Good to know
==
It is too bad that our mindset has driven by politicians to this state ridiculous matrix.
I agree. In fact a simple case of libertarianism, is being interpreted as an assault on secularism and equality.

===
Fiqh is the mainstay and I am surprised you are not aware of it and treat it so perfunctorily.
I applaud your knowledge of Islamic Fiqh.

But please explain to me, how Islamic Fiqh negates a right guaranteed by the Constitution to allow its citizens to carry their personal affairs as per their religious beliefs ?

If Islamic Fiqh is exploitative then the Civil Courts will step in and negate that Islamic Arbiters mediation.

What has Supreme Court allowed.

The Shariat Courts?

If so when and what are the parameters?
For over 25 years Shariat Courts have been operational in India.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Yes or No Questionnaire

Are you a Muslim ?
Yes he is a Muslim.

Yes he believes in the Quaran.

He lives as per the dictates of the Quaran.

Yet, where he is better than most is that he does not hold his religion on his sleeve or flaunt it as a red flag!

I appreciate that and I have had the privilege to meet him a few times and he did nothing to prove him not to be a good Muslim.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
For over 25 years Shariat Courts have been operational in India.
If indeed, they have done it the right way without going to town over it!

They have kept it totally personal and that is the way to go without do gooders outside their religion making a song and dance over it and causing unnecessary turmoil!

I am aware of a modicum of Islam since I had to operate amongst them for quite a few time.

And I daresay they liked that I knew a little bit about their religion.

Even the chap who came to set my computers right was pleased that I knew about Islam and maybe that is why, as a Muslim, he gave me a discount, even though I never asked for it and insisted that I pay the full charge!

I can give you the details if you want about him and where he works!

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@Singh,

Don't get me wrong.

Religion is a very personal thing and all must follow their religion to the best of their conscience.

Yet, at the same time, I feel that one should not flaunt it as a red flag or wear it on one's sleeve for no reason and rhyme.

I also believe that there is too much of false pretenses over giving religion equality and that has been brainwashed in our mind.

It is time to leave religion to the personal domain and work for the economic and social upliftment without any differentiation of caste, colour, creed, community or religion.

Then only India will arise.

If we are empowered educationally, we will be empowered financially and economically and then and then alone will we all be equals.

Religion or illiteracy does not fill empty stomachs!

Today, because of education, even Catholics are defying the Christian tenets of life where they are willing believing in contraception, which technically is blasphemous!

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yes or No Questionnaire

Are you a Muslim ?
Are you a Muslim ? Yes
Do you believe in Quran ? Yes
Do you wish to live as per laws of Quran ? I can have my own interpretations. My belief is that the interpretation varies and is not absolute and can adapt to the time.

My problem is with the extremist view of shariah which is not consistent with modern age. In fact shariah according to me is flexible and adaptable to the time and not stuck in 7th century.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles