Most in India Are of Very Low Intellectual Level: Justice Katju

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by nrj, Nov 26, 2011.

1. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

After his controversial remarks about the media Press Council of India Chairman Justice Markandey Katju has said "most people in India are of a very low intellectual level, steeped in casteism, communalism, superstitions and all kinds of feudal and backward ideas".

Given this, the argument that the media should provide programmes and news as per the tastes of viewers degrades it to an ordinary business dealing in commodities, he said.

"My point is, and I have stated this several times, including in my interview with Karan Thapar, that the media is not like an ordinary business dealing with commodities. It deals with ideas," Katju wrote on Friday in a letter to a mediaperson.

"Hence, to say that the media should supply the viewer whatever the viewer wants is really reducing the media to an ordinary business dealing with commodities and degrading it," Katju further said.

Katju wrote the letter in response to a reader's comment on a website which had published an article by Katju. The mediaperson whom Katju addressed the letter had brought his attention to this comment.

"The comment mentions that the media must provide the customer what it wants. Unfortunately, most people in India are of a very low intellectual level, steeped in casteism, communalism, superstitions, and all kinds of feudal and backward ideas," Katju said in his letter.

"The Indian masses today are very backward, as I have already mentioned, full of casteism, commualism, superstitious and against equality for women", he said.

"Should our media then become casteist, communal, and promote superstitions and condone oppression of women?" he said.

According to Justice Katju, "it should not, rather it should attack these backward and feudal ideas and help our country in coming into the modern age by propagating modern, rational and scientific ideas."

"Should the Indian media go down to that low level by pandering to the tastes of the masses and perpetuating their backwardness or should the Indian media seek to raise the intellectual level of the Indian masses by propagating rational and scientific ideas and make them part of enlightened India?" he said.

Katju said that in the past the European media had played a "historical and glorious role" in educating the public.

"The European media played a historical and glorious role in the 17th, 18th and 19th Centuries ( that is, the period when Europe was undergoing its transition from feudal to modern society ) by propagating the ideas of liberty, equality, fraternity, and secularism, which were, for that period, revolutionary ideas," Katju wrote.

"I would like the Indian media too to play such a historical and glorious role, and thereby win the respect of the Indian people," he further said.

"No doubt the media has also to provide some entertainment to the people. But if 90 percent of its coverage is devoted to entertainment like lives of film stars, fashion parades, disco dancing, pop music cricket etc and only 10 percent to the real issues facing our masses, which are mainly socio-economic, like poverty, unemployment, price rise, health care, education housing etc, then in my opinion the sense of proportion of the media has gone haywire," Katju wrote.

"I am not against the media, and I have unfortunately been misrepresented. The Indian media has a historical role to play in the present transitional period which India is going through. That is because the role of ideas becomes extremely important in the period of transition and the media deals with ideas," Katju wrote.

"If the Indian media corrects itself and helps the people go forward into the modern age it will win the respect of the Indian people. I only wanted to remind the Indian media of its historical duty to the country," Katju added.

news.outlookindia.com | Most in India Are of Very Low Intellectual Level: Katju

panduranghari likes this.
  3. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

Is His Honor suggesting the Indian government provide guidelines for the news media if they do not comply with their historical duty?

sob and S.A.T.A like this.
  4. civfanatic

civfanatic Retired Moderator

Unfortunately, he is absolutely right.

5. mayfair

mayfair Elite Member Elite Member

Perhaps in his own little world, yes. The moot question is how do you define intellect? Most scientists for instance, believe that those affiliated with media, arts, bureaucracy etc. are intelectually deficient.

6. JBH22

JBH22 Senior Member Senior Member

Inspite of all hypes that India is a growing superpower we should acknowledge that we are a small percentage in this huge population who has access to Internet etc. while the millions strive to make ends meet hence for them all issues is secondary its a question of survival.
    This man has shown us the truth accept it and work to correct these mistakes or adopt the ostrich approach and yell we are the best and become another Pakistan.

7. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

I agree with every sentence he has said.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
    nishanth13 likes this.
  8. W.G.Ewald

How can everybody be below average?:confused:

9. JBH22

JBH22 Senior Member Senior Member

KEY WORD IS Most

10. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Most/majority not everybody. It is not India specific problem either...its true for the whole world. Majority of humans are sheep and will follow whoever is leading. Difference is Indian media peddles to the lowest denominator.

panduranghari likes this.
  11. SHASH2K2

SHASH2K2 New Member

I dont want to use bad words about the person who said this but unless a person rise above the problem of getting meals for 3 times and a shade over his head he cannot even think about intellect and other issues.

W.G.Ewald likes this.
  12. niharjhatn

niharjhatn Regular Member

I wonder what his views are of the west, also stooped in ideas of imperialism and white supremacy - does that mean they are of low intellect as well?

Don't say intellect - rather say all that Indian's consciousness is firmly embedded in the past - and unfortunately, only the negative aspects of the past, too.

balai_c and parijataka like this.
  13. W.G.Ewald

Same in the States.

H. L. Mencken

14. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

Katju is right.Why is baalika vaadhu a rage in the cow belt?

SPIEZ likes this.
  15. Virendra

Virendra Moderator Moderator

I don't see it a rage in the cow belt. The housewives as usual watch the various saas bahu type soaps and this one is a little more popular. Why are the unreasonable & impossible acts of Rajini a rage in south and actually all over India? Don't drag the entertainment pieces into this. People all over do idolize various things. It doesn't make the cow belt any lower.
    The convent obsessed views of Katju are not very different than a fanatical medieval muslim saying "My way is the only way" .. difference being just the religious context in the latter.
    In fact I'm convent educated as well. But I don't watch the cow belt or any belt with such prisms of logical jumps. Obviously there are short comings ... on both sides of Narmada. One must understand and appreciate different ways of life, while not pasting some specific issues all over.

Regards,
    Virendra

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  16. ejazr

ejazr Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

low intellect does not mean low IQ or intelligence. What he is referring to is that the news media instead of peddling entertainment news and superstitions on star signs e.t.c should inform the public or more important public issues. It can also play a role in uplifting the intellectual level of the people by debating important topics and not given importance to where Kareen Kapoor is getting married or when Aishwayra Rai is getting pregnant again. Particularly the TV news media and more specifically the English TV news media.

not very different than a fanatical medieval muslim saying "My way is the only way"
    Or fanatical modern day Hindus like Parveen Tagodia and his compatriots :)

The Messiah, nrj, Sabir and 2 others like this.
  17. SHASH2K2

SHASH2K2 New Member

you have habit of rubing people wrong way . As usually you are again unnecessarily dragging Cow belt in this . This shows racist in you who always keep on looking for a chance to spew venom .

18. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

atleast they don't idolize pwg/maoists :taunt:

19. Param

Param Senior Member Senior Member

Truth hurts.

20. Virendra

If watching a wound of yours someone calls you an sinned leprosy patient ... yes it would hurt.

21. Virendra

self delete .. double post