Morally inappropriate to work under Gadkari: Jethmalani

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Daredevil, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

Find it morally inappropriate to work under Gadkari: Jethmalani

Senior advocate Mahesh Jethmalani has quit the national executive committee of the main opposition BJP, saying that he deemed it “morally and intellectually inappropriate” to serve in the committee as long as Nitin Gadkari continued to be the party President.

The letter that was addressed directly to Gadkari was only two lines long and read, “Dear Nitin-ji, I find it morally and intellectually inappropriate to remain a member of the BJP national executive committee till you are President of the BJP, and as such I tender my resignation from the same.”

PTI

This is the first direct fallout of the allegations of corruption that have been leveled against Gadkari. Up until now, the party had stood firmly behind the party president, saying that the fact that he had agreed to have a probe against him, was testimony of his innocence.

It couldn’t come at a worse time for the BJP president, who is facing flak for his comment on Swami Vivekananda and gangster Dawood Ibrahim’s IQ.

Jethmalani’s position echoes that of his father Ram, who publicly went on record as saying that Gadkari should resign and not seek a second term as party President.

“In the interest of the party, in his own interest, he should get out of the fray now and he must give the position to somebody who inspires greater confidence. He should not aspire for a second term,” he said.

“Obviously, there is suspicion about his integrity and in the interest of the party and his own interest he must get out of this position.

“It weakens the party position. In the coming elections we are fighting against corruption and we have to have a man of absolute impeccable integrity,” he told CNN-IBN when asked whether Gadkari should step down.

The allegations against Gadkari were first established by NDTV which reported that during Gadkari’s tenure as PWD Minister from 1995 to 1999, a company called Ideal Road Builders was awarded several contracts that saw its turnover rise from Rs 41 crore in 1996 to Rs 67 crore in 1999. It added that after Gadkari demitted office in 2001 and established his Purti group of companies, Ideal Road Builders picked up equity to the tune of about Rs 1.85 crore.

Later in an extensive report, the Times of India said that apart from Ideal Road Builders (IRB), a group of 16 companies had invested in the group most of which had directors who were associates of the BJP president or his family and were often headquartered in fictitious addresses.

Find it morally inappropriate to work under Gadkari: Jethmalani | Firstpost

3. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

4. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

His father too had come out against NG. son just following his father.

@VIP i think Mahesh as a professional will defend NG if he is hired as his lawyer but i guess as part of the political party he does not want his party president to be a tainted personality.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  5. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

6. panduranghari

panduranghari Senior Member Senior Member

Saale sab chor hai. Get the guillotines out.

7. Yusuf

He was waiting for NG to resign :D

8. nrj

Yes, all are thieves.

Except us I guess ? :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

You mean this ?

No, we don't do that in this country.

9. Yusuf

We should do this. Public

[​IMG]

10. nrj

I don't believe in it.

Such practices are regressive & it wastes more bullets than required.

11. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

I know that.But do you think he actually means it ?? Moral should be there in profession,too.Especially when you're a lawyer and you know your client is guilty. Well, I'm not in that field so don't know how it works but it's my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  12. iNDiAN.96

iNDiAN.96 Nationalist Senior Member

In our country if Kasab can get lawyer then why not Kanimozi?

13. Yusuf

For a lawyer, his profession matters. That's why we have defence and prosecution lawyers.

14. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Guilt will be decided in court. Before it there is only opinion of guilt.

Everyone deserves a lawyer whether they are evil or not. In most instances lawyer is only appearing for the heck of it in cases like kasab.

thakur_ritesh likes this.
  15. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

At least there is one person in politics who has his priorities and sense of morality in order.

Out with NG.

16. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Fresh trouble for Gadkari as Jethmalani junior calls it quits

Noted lawyer and BJP leader Mahesh Jethmalani created a major stir in his party on Monday, as he resigned as the party’s national executive committee member after targeting the party’s national president Nitin Gadkari over allegations of dubious investments in the Purti group of companies and the controversy comparing Swami Vivekananda’s IQ level with that of underworld don Dawood Ibrahim.

In an apparent move to mount pressure on Gadkari to resign as the BJP’s national president in the wake of the Purti investment controversy, Mahesh shot off a tersely worded resignation letter to Gadkari, saying that it would be “morally and intellectually inappropriate” for him to remain in the post as long as the latter was party’s national president.

Mahesh’s rebellion against Gadkari’s leadership came within days of his veteran lawyer-father Ram Jethmalani, who is also a party leader, demanding the resignation of the party’s national president..

In his resignation letter mailed to Gadkari on Monday morning, Mahesh stated: “Dear Nitinji, I deem it morally and intellectually inappropriate to continue to serve on the party’s National Executive Committee as long as you are the President of the BJP. I hereby tender my resignation from the same”......

Queried if Gadkari should resign from his post, Mahesh said that it was the BJP’s president to take a call on the issue. “But, my personal opinion is that Gadkariji should not be given a second term as the party president,” he said.

Meanwhile, the BJP strongly disapproved the manner Mahesh’s resignation was “leaked” to the media even before it reached the party president.

Talking to media persons in the capital, BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy said: “Some allegations have been leveled against the party president. Gadkariji has submitted himself to an inquiry. The inquiry is being conducted by various agencies like the Ministry of Corporate Affairs and Income Tax department. Under such circumstances, individuals coming forward and making statements in public would possibly damage the party’s image,” Rudy said.

Fresh trouble for Gadkari as Jethmalani junior calls it quits

Politicians of all hues take resort to the excuse that it is only after being convicted/ chargesheeted would the issues of malpractice/ corruption be taken seriously.

Legally that might be correct.

However,politicians are also the moral conscience of the nation, They forget that.

In Gadkari's case as in Salman Khurshed's, Robert Vadra's case, prima facie there is a strong whiff of misdemeanour/ corruption. In such cases wherever politicians are involved, they should step down till proved innocent.

It is obvious that Gadkari is an Albatross around the nect of the BJP and he should step down.

Mahesh Jhetmalani is correct to have resigned in disgust at the standard pussyfooting the political parties tend to do with their tainted.

17. Ray

I presume one has to wait and watch as the case unfolds and how far it becomes indefensible and obvious.

I take it that one cannot take action on such serious issues based on whims and fancies.

Even if one knows that the client is guilty, it is incumbent on a lawyer to defend his client.

Likewise, people did not want to defend Kasab, but the was given a lawyer so that he get fair justice.

18. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Jethmalai duo want to see Modi as PM candidate

19. For this reason I would be most happy to see NG go,

For he's little else but a facilitator for the faded and jaded old guard of BJP ,

but for God's sake hang him on proper charges ,
    Incompetency and corruption make much more sense then this ill advised statement ,

That except to morons has nothing wrong in it logically speaking

20. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

I think this is quid pro quo.Let Modi be PM then Gadkari might be president

21. Ray

Ram Jethmalani has publicly rooted for Modi as PM.

It is surprising that he is still not tainted as corrupt.

I wonder how he has missed the Congress' vice grip through the various govt agencies to unearth corruption against all leaders so that the threatened no confidence motion in the winter session falls flat on its face.

Even the otherwise clean Navin Patnaik has been targeted by Congress Minister Jena for a :inr: 4L crore mining scam!

Jena during the TimesNow debate was at sixes and sevens when questioned how he is accusing without any documentary or other proof, more so when the activities were all indicated to be done by the Central Govt itself!

What a Great Game Indian politics is!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012