Mohammad Amir offered hero's role in Pakistani film

Blackwater

KARACHI: Pakistani fast bowler Mohammad Amir is set to make his big-screen debut, he told AFP Thursday, as he struggles to make ends meet while serving a ban for spot-fixing.

Left-arm quick Amir was rated one of the best young talents in world cricket until his fall from grace in the notorious Lord's Test against England in 2010.

Amir, then 19, was hit with a five-year ban from cricket after he was caught in a tabloid newspaper sting along with captain Salman Butt and pace partner Mohammad Asif agreeing to bowl no balls to order.

The ban is due to end in September 2015, when Amir said he would go back to the sport.

"I have been offered the hero's role in a Pakistan film and I have decided to take this opportunity but once my ban is lifted my first priority will be cricket," Amir told AFP.

The 22-year-old said he took the role in "Blind Love", offered by Pakistani director Faisal Bukhari, because he was hard up.

"For four years now I have not played cricket which was my bread and butter, so I had to find ways and means to earn and this opportunity has come as a blessing," said Amir.

Amir shot to fame in the first year of his career, leading Pakistan's pace attack in their 2009 World Twenty20 win in England and earning comparisons with the great Wasim Akram.

A year later he took seven wickets in his team's remarkable win over Australia in the Leeds Test, levelling the neutral venue series 1-1.

That same year he finished as man-of-the series despite Pakistan's 3-1 defeat against England, taking 19 wickets in four matches.

But his rise to stardom collapsed dramatically with the spot-fixing scandal during the fourth and final Test at Lord's which led to jail terms for him, Salman Butt and Mohammad Asif.

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) last year launched a campaign to get relaxation on some of the conditions of Amir's ban.

Subsequently the International Cricket Council formed a committee to look into the request and in October this year will review its code of conduct through which Amir and his fellows were banned.

Mohammad Amir offered hero's role in Pakistani film - Sport - DAWN.COM

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

I am not too much into cricket ever since I realised that most of the matches are rigged.

I did not know who this was and I thought it was a girl.

But then I realised a 'hero' cannot be a 'heroine'.

ladder

Country flag

I am not too much into cricket ever since I realised that most of the matches are rigged.

I did not know who this was and I thought it was a girl.

But then I realised a 'hero' cannot be a 'heroine'.[/QUOTE]

But, then these days, you can't be that sure if the word 'actor' is used.

There is a movement to make 'actor' gender neutral like doctor or lawyer and the profession being 'acting'.

So, now a days, everybody is a 'actor' and nobody is a 'actress'.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
But, then these days, you can't be that sure if the word 'actor' is used.

There is a movement to make 'actor' gender neutral like doctor or lawyer and the profession being 'acting'.

So, now a days, everybody is a 'actor' and nobody is a 'actress'.
That is the unfortunate part - the PC hoax of cosmetic whitewash to show gender equality. Worse is the mindless application.

There was all this hullabaloo that women should be allowed in combat arms in the Army.

And yet, in the Parliament, there was an outcry that woman should not have to do night shifts because of safety concerns.

Therefore, if a woman is in the Infantry and is taken PW, what do you think the enemy will do to her? \

Can all these PC champions be able to save her in hostile lands?

ladder

Country flag
That is the unfortunate part - the PC hoax of cosmetic whitewash to show gender equality. Worse is the mindless application.

There was all this hullabaloo that women should be allowed in combat arms in the Army.

And yet, in the Parliament, there was an outcry that woman should not have to do night shifts because of safety concerns.

Therefore, if a woman is in the Infantry and is taken PW, what do you think the enemy will do to her? \

Can all these PC champions be able to save her in hostile lands?
But, then ACM Raha is considering combat role for ladies in IAF and GOI is actively mulling giving CO of a unit ( AAD/Signals/ logistics) responsibilities to lady officers.

But, that being said, Scandinavian countries, who were forefront in adopting combat role for ladies in army didn't do it as a step ahead of their society as far as the gender equality role goes. Gender equality was far more prevalent in those countries in civil society and daily life. But, still there has/had been issues.

So, Indian army, can only walk that far, as our society has. Sadly, that's true.

I had read about, a testimony from a staff nurse, during the time when ranks for AMC nurses were to be scrapped. And that really showed the true picture.

The main problem with our society, is we are still not open. USA has a very high rape statistics, but how many of the victims face the social stigma, that victims face here?

It's one area, I feel Army can't lead the way, it has to follow the society. But, where Army can lead the society is by providing a good and healthy work environment and equal opportunity to lady officers in whichever domain they seek to employ them.

But, any feminist reading my reply wouldn't take a second to brand me as a male chauvinist.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
But, then ACM Raha is considering combat role for ladies in IAF and GOI is actively mulling giving CO of a unit ( AAD/Signals/ logistics) responsibilities to lady officers.

But, that being said, Scandinavian countries, who were forefront in adopting combat role for ladies in army didn't do it as a step ahead of their society as far as the gender equality role goes. Gender equality was far more prevalent in those countries in civil society and daily life. But, still there has/had been issues.

So, Indian army, can only walk that far, as our society has. Sadly, that's true.

I had read about, a testimony from a staff nurse, during the time when ranks for AMC nurses were to be scrapped. And that really showed the true picture.

The main problem with our society, is we are still not open. USA has a very high rape statistics, but how many of the victims face the social stigma, that victims face here?

It's one area, I feel Army can't lead the way, it has to follow the society. But, where Army can lead the society is by providing a good and healthy work environment and equal opportunity to lady officers in whichever domain they seek to employ them.

But, any feminist reading my reply wouldn't take a second to brand me as a male chauvinist.
Do you think that the Chiefs of the Defence Forces are beyond political pressures?

I am all for women in combat.

But then why howl about women working on night shifts?

Is night shift more dangerous to women than being a PW with the enemy?

Factory night shifts not for women, Congress says

Positioning itself against the labour reforms being pushed by the Narendra Modi government, Congress on Thursday said it was against allowing women to work in factories at night because of security concerns.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-women-Congress-says/articleshow/39836613.cms

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles