Modi's micro initiatives for the farm sector are quite an eye opener

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Himanshu Pandey, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Himanshu Pandey

Himanshu Pandey Regular Member

The oft-talked about Gujarat development model is something that has caught the fancy of the entire nation. What I found particularly impressive was the concept of Krishi Mahotsav where every summer government officials virtually spend a whole month on the field with the farmers, helping them update to newer technology and increase their farm productivity. Last month, I decided to witness this phenomenon first hand and got in touch with Narendra Modi's office.

"Mr. Modi will be visiting a very innovative animal husbandry camp in the last week of May. Would you like to accompany him?" I was asked by an official from the CMO.

So far, Modi had been synonymous with the 'industrial development' of Gujarat. I thought it would be good fun to witness the development in other sectors which the media doesn't talk much about. Hence, I was only too glad to grab the opportunity and interact with the CM live. On 27th May, thus, I travelled with Mr. Modi to a tribal village in the Dahod district near Baroda to witness first hand what was truly an eye-opening and enlightening experience.

Meeting Mr. Modi was in itself a refreshing experience. I found him to be warm and friendly, with a great eye for detail and effortlessly articulate about his plans. On the way to Dahod, Mr. Modi explained to me the thought behind his intensive initiatives in the animal husbandry sector.

"If you see, one of the perennial debates on development centers upon whether to focus on macro-level policies or to unleash aggressive initiatives at the micro-level. It is fashionable for leaders, especially the Congress leaders to talk about broad macro policies, without having a clue on how to execute plans at the ground level. Fact of the matter is that absence of micro plans upsets the broader macro vision, rendering the entire plan ineffective."

Explaining the rationale behind his focus on the animal husbandry sector, Mr. Modi articulated, "Today, India is the largest milk producer in the world. However, it is also a sad truth that India's 225 million plus cattle population and 600 million plus total livestock population does not enjoy decent health facilities. This is mainly because we don't have an institutionalized mechanism that would monitor the health of our livestock population. Had a mechanism been there, India's production of milk and dairy related products would have only been significantly higher. Thus, the vast utility that we derive from our livestock and cattle population also demands that we invest adequately in nurturing them in order to ensure their continued productivity."

What I saw at Dahod was a truly enlightening experience. The animal husbandry camp which is now an integral component of the Krishi Mahotsav, has catered to several thousands of animals this year itself. I was simply astonished to see the medical and technological advancements made in the field of veterinary sciences.

On entering the camp, we noticed a cow lying down on the floor and held by 10 men. Mr. Modi asked the doctors what was wrong with the cow? They said the cow was suffering from horn cancer. We were not even aware that such a disease existed and I am sure most people haven't heard about it.

Mr. Modi was curious to witness the operation performed on the cow, first hand. Hence, we sat through the experience. It was no easy task as 3 doctors and 7 assistants executed the operation to remove the cancer from the horn and most importantly to control the cow during this arduous procedure.

We were surprised to learn that the same team had already performed 20 such operations on the given day. Curing the cattle of a fatal disease like cancer, undoubtedly enhances its longevity and productivity and provides a great help to our farming community.

I was then introduced to a model set up of instructional farms. Instructional farms are set up to take care of the ageing, castration, body parts, care and management, floor spacing of 8 species of animals. They cater to all of 17 breeds in each of these animals. Instructional farms are set up to cater to sheep, camel, poultry, cattle, horse, goat, buffalo and rabbit. These Instructional farms are the pioneer farms in our country, originating from Gujarat.

The art of going into details is a blissful experience in itself. This was on exhibition all through the animal husbandry camp. It was as amazing to witness another medical team perform an operation to salvage the fractured wings of a peacock. There were 2 peacocks that were successfully treated for fractured wings. Yet another medical team was busy carrying out an ultra sonography on a horse in order to detect pregnancy. You will be as surprised to know that the camp witnessed 89 live laser operations on cattle involving problems related to fracture, eyeballs, rumenitis etc. De-beaking was also a highlight in the camp. Debeaking, which is the technical term for beak-trimming of the poultry, is a preventive measure to reduce damage caused by injurious pecking; besides it is said to increase the lifespan.

Mr. Modi sounded an immensely satisfied man after seeing the breakthroughs at the camp.

"It is my humble opinion that in order to enhance our agricultural productivity to optimal levels, we need comprehensive micro-level initiatives across segments such as irrigation, soil quality management, farmers' education and animal husbandry. Each one of these segments has a critical role to play in achieving our overall targets and cannot be de-linked from our larger macro vision. It is also my firm belief that an intensive animal husbandry plan will lead to a massive increase in our agricultural productivity and go a long way in boosting our economy."

When I boarded the flight back to Mumbai later that evening, I felt fortunate to have had the opportunity to witness Mr. Modi's indefatigable passion for change. It's a sheer joy to hear him talk about his plans for the country with the clarity of thought that he has. It's a myth that the Gujarat model is skewed towards industrialists. The development that has taken place in the remotest tribal pockets of the state is simply phenomenal. In the last 10 years, nearly 37 lakh hectares of new land has been made cultivable. And the farming community is thriving as much as the industrial houses.

The development and change that Gujarat has seen is perhaps only the tip of the iceberg. I am confident that Mr. Modi can replicate this success story at the national level.

Tuhin A Sinha 's Blog : Modi's micro initiatives for the farm sector are quite an eye opener

parijataka and arnabmit like this.
  3. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

Re: Modi's micro initiatives for the farm sector are quite an eye open

He's doing this from a long time. And he also does Garib Kalyan Melas. People who think he's only pro business should understand it's not industry which bring him so much votes.

parijataka and Ankit Purohit like this.
  4. Ankit Purohit

Ankit Purohit Senior Member Senior Member

hamjavi hamjavi ne thaki gya ,je na samje e nadan

5. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

Modi will never be allowed to come anywhere near Delhi - nahin to congress ki, commies ki, jaatiwad pe nirbhar SP-BSP-RJD, etc ki to dukan band ho jaayegi. If farmers and villagers are no longer poor and illiterate then who will vote for these dacoits. Ghandy family has represented Amethi for 40+ years and look at the condition of this district - low literacy, no roads, poverty, high fertility. Same with Uttar Pradesh and Bihar under Lallu ji.