Modi praises PM, Chidambaram over handling of security

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by ahmedsid, Feb 8, 2010.

1. ahmedsid

ahmedsid Top Gun Senior Member

Modi praises PM, Chidambaram over handling of security

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh [ Images ] and Union Home Minister P Chidambaram [ Images ] received wholesome praise from an unexpected quarter over the Centre's handling of security issues. And it was from none other than Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi [ Images ] who usually does not miss an opportunity to go hammer and tongs at the Centre with the latest occasion being his attack over the price rise issue on Saturday.

At the conference of chief ministers on internal security, Modi praised Singh and Chidambaram for the Centre's swift and positive action and greater cooperation with his state in dealing with security concerns. Modi said during Manmohan Singh's regime the opposition-ruled states did not face any discrimination in the matter of internal security. He said due to the hostile attitude of "our neighbouring country, security is an important issue which needs to be taken seriously."

Modi also complimented Chidambaram and Home Secretary G K Pillai for their approach in tackling terror. "The response of the home minister and home secretary is swift and positive whenever there is a demand from a state," Modi told reporters on the sidelines of the conference.

The Centre came in for praise from Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh too. Singh said his state has been geting all help from the Central government in dealing with the Maoists problem. He said now there were greater cooperation between the state and the Centre in all security matters.

http://news.rediff.com/report/2010/feb/07/modi-hails-centre-handling-of-internal-security.htm

3. ahmedsid

Whoa! I never thought I would live to see this Day and here it is!

On a serious note, after 26/11, the Security Apparatus has been in action, and I must Say, Chidambaramji is doing an awesome job. Tackling the Naxals and the Terrorists! He has his job cut out, but still he can do it I feel.

4. Quickgun Murugan

Quickgun Murugan Regular Member

Don't comment on Naxals as yet. Just being vocal against them isn't action enough. But setting up NSG hubs in all metropolitan reducing the reaction time to 26/11 like threats is one of his principle achievements as home minister. Definitely a million times better than shivraj patil

5. Indianrabbit

Indianrabbit Regular Member

I agree I feel Mr Chidambaram is a very good minister, compare him kind of minsters we get these days. He worked well in Finance ministry and now home ministry too. In Finance ministry he focused lot on computerization, e-filing etc, someone of which, the results we are seeing now. I like his idea of NCCT (National Center for Counter Terrorism). I also feel he is one of the ministers who utilized his overseas trip to USA (Value for money). I wish MMS will remain PM for another term and might get full majority, from being a BJP guy, I now hate them. BJP is such a stupid party, they opposed nuclear deal for the sake of it man.
    If somehow MMS cannot take another term Rahul should be next PM. I am also a fan of Pranab Mukharjee, to some extent Antony is also doing good job.

6. ahmedsid

He is not just Vocal, he has had some success with the Naxals too. Some of ULFA's main players in Indian custody, and if that doesnt stop them, there are ground operations to being done in time. Chidambaram is not the guy who does all the talking, he is some action too.

7. NSG_Blackcats

NSG_Blackcats Member of The Month OCTOBER 2009 Senior Member

Our news channels are great in twisting statements. What MODI has said is "What ever concerns we are taking up with Home Minister and Home Secretary , they are quickly responding to it". That is it. Every good work must be appreciated and MODI has done that.

Chidambaram has a great PRO I must admit. How much things have changed we have to see. But things have improved for the better. We do not have any major attack in more than 1 year. But we have to also keep in mind that Pakistan is currently facing the heat in its home turf.

8. ahmedsid

What is twisted in the headline given here? The Words uttered by Modi can be termed as a "Praise".

By bringing in Chidambarams PRO, you are kind of sidelining the good work he has done. This is the thing with us Indians, we never give the complete due when its up. We keep back a little saying this and that. PRO or no PRO, a good job is a good job is a good job.

9. NSG_Blackcats

Okie Sir, I agree Narendra Modi has praised P C Chidambaram.

I would certainly like to know what extraordinary thing has been achieved under P C Chidambaram?

1. 4 NSG hubs are set up and as per our Home Minister NSG will be air born in 30 minutes if any attack takes place in these places. We have to wait and see when any attack takes place.

2. Naxals are hitting under the nose of state govt. of Orissa, WB, Bihar, Chatisgarh, Maharashtra. Now do not tell me this is a state subject. BSF and CRFP which are leading these operations are under Central Home Ministry.

3. The home ministry claims they have repulsed many attacks. Neither you nor me or any Indian can have get any fact. We have to believe him as we do not have any other choice.

4. Now you will say GoI had a great success against ULFA. On that I will agree you. But it was the pressure put by our army and Assam Rifles that already have ULFA in disarray. Unless until we trap Paraksh Barua, ULFA will be there. Rajkhowa has not that much hold on ULFA caders.

10. ahmedsid

I dont know what you mean by Extraordinary, If you can define that, I will be happy. For the time being I will tell you Some Stuff that should hopefully make you understand that the Home Ministry is in Working Condition and protecting innocents from Terrorist attacks.

1) Your Questioning of the working of the NSG hubs is purely based on bias against a government I feel. If you start classifying stuff, you probably should do it for everything! For eg: What gurantee is there that our Army Can protect us from Pakistan in case a War starts now? What Gurantee is there that the Famed SU30s will kick ass in the skies or get their ass kicked? You are right proof of the pudding is in the tasting, But then You have to use this logic next time there is an India Vs Pakistan topic, and not just use this logic of yours against the policies of the Govt and Chidambaram!

2) You know why the Naxals are hitting hard? Because they are being cornered! Yes they blew up a railway track in Bihar Yesterday, but that doesnt mean they are winning! They are attacking to stay alive. Before they never made so many attacks because they were having a free run! Who do you attack when you can freely control areas and collect taxes? You do that when you are under fire and you are loosing ground!

3) This we all should know as a fact and believe it! The Ministry is not telling a lie when they say this! Do you think the terrorists are so dumb that they wont plan any attack after 26/11?? Do they have a rule that they will only attack once a year or something? If you just keep the prejudice aside and think, you will know many terrorists have been aprehended and critical information regarding past attacks and future attacks learnt from them. We all believe the FBI when they say they ruined 1000s of attacks! Yes they must have, right from underwear bombers to Shoe bombers! What makes you think the terrorists in Pakistan havent done so??

4) When has the Goverment of India ever worked under pressure from the Army? I mean we are Not Pakistan dude! Yes, you can say Army can pressurise Govt to fastract weapons procurement, but never can they dictate stuff like taking on the ULFA!!!!!!!! Since Rajkhowa has been caught you are saying we need Barua, and When they Trap Barua you will say the whole of ULFA has to be arrested! I admit the ULFA has not been decimated, but give them a chance!

A chance is all you need to give. We are not seeing back to back bombing and attacks like Parliament, Kandahar, and 26/11 among many others. We have a Home Ministry in Working Condition and Thank God for It! God Speed.

11. NSG_Blackcats

Again you have twisted what i have mentioned. It took NSG more than 7/8 hours to reach Mumbai when 26/11 happened. By the time NSG reached there, the terrorists have already taken hostages and were in a advantageous position. I hope you are well aware of the fact that NSG works under Home Ministry. The aim of setting up 4 NSG hubs in different metros is to reduce the response time. Now our Home Minister have mentioned in various platforms that if any attack happens in these cities NSG will be air born in 30 mins to reach the spot. Now I believe PC Chidambaram like Shivraj Patil. But whether there is any difference between lip servicing and action, can only be judged at the time of action.
    We are taking about our home minister. So talk about internal security. When we talk about defense ministry we can talk about our armed forces.

I do not know are you aware about the fact that they are coming in 300/500 in numbers. It is not like 2/3 people attacking. When such a large number of people are attacking, don't you feel it is the failure intelligence of state Police, CRPF, BSF. what is the distance of Lal Gargh from Kolkata. If I am not wrong it may be 200/300 km? Just 6/7 month before 300 naxals attack a place which is just 50 km from Bhubaneswar. Now if you feels 300/500 people come and attack a place is not a failure of our paramilitary force than I have nothing to say.

As I already mentioned, I am an ordinary citizen, I have no other option. I have to believe our home Minister. FBI, I do not believe that agency any more because one of their own agent Hadley is now under arrest. And Indian agencies are not even allowed to question him. This is the level of our co operation.

Yes, I am not that naive. Government of India never worked under pressure from Army. But Government of India many times do many things for political gains which let all the hard work done by our armed forces go in vain (Indira Gandhi -1971, we vacated many vital positions gained by our army in J & K, ceasefire against naxals by YSR in AP, ceasefire against ULFA in Assam).
    When I have mentioned pressure by our Army and Assam Riffles, I was refering to pressure put on ULFA by their operations in Assam and not pressure on India Government. I would like to reassure you that I know the difference between India army and Pakistan Army

You are here and I am here. So lets see how peaceful Assam remains after arrest of Rajkhowa. I will be more than happy to be proved wrong.

Yah, we have a Home Minister in working conditions. Thanks GOD for that. At least he can walk without any support (Not like Arjun Singh). For you Job well done by P C Chidamberam. I respect your view. For me he is doing great lip service like Obama.

12. ahmedsid

1) I didnt twist what you mentioned! You said You dont know if the NSG will be airborne in 30 mins! You harping on the 7/8 Hour Delay on the 26/11 is simply deflection, because that time the Hub feature was not there and the NSG was being airlifted from somewhere else!!! How does that make my argument above twisty?? I just attacked your logic and asked you to use the same logic when JF17-VS Su30s come up again! Both are untested and we cant say unless both are seen in a duel! Got it??? The Proof of the Pudding theory should be used everywhere, not just when it suits you to harp on your arguments!

2) Paramilitary forces failure and Lalgarh. Well Lalgarh is a whole new topic bro, I mean its the CPM in power there! For them paramilitary or Police doesnt matter, they do what they want and they did cozy up with the Maoistis and got bumped off after the Maoistis found their own way! So its not entirely the Centres fault that the CPM government was acting asleep when all this happened and then suddenly acted like they ve woken up! Then Lastly, I never said the Naxals have been subdued. The fact that they are coming in the Hundreds tell that They are damn desperate to prove a point. And then again, things like this dont happen overnight. Naxalism comes up whenever there is a genuine Inequality in an area. The States must do their bit, but Politicians should rise up!

3) You bring in HEadley to say u dont trust FBI. Come on, and about Intelligence sharing, if you expected parity with US when it comes to such stuff, you are living in a fools paradise. USA doesnt treat anyone equally, not the British, not the Australians. We cant solidly say Headley is a double agent or what not. That doesnt mean the FBI has not even foiled a single attack. Just ask your Logic, dont you think the Lashkar guys with their minions in India wont try another attack in the last one year? Of course they would have. Chidambaram recently told LUCK too played a factor in the attacks not happening, He is not telling he is SUPERMAN!!! So we can cut him some slack.

4) Please dont bring in the stuff you just mentioned, about vacating strategic points and all! In One Sentence you can deride Indira Gandhi and when Bangladesh comes up all of you hail JAI INDIRA!!! Thats again you using things to your advantage like the "Proof of the Pudding" theory stated above.

If the Army is pressurising the ULFA that means its because they got the Govts approval to do so. The IA or para forces dont go on operations with their own minds! You gotta catch that! God Speed.

13. Rahul Singh

Rahul Singh Senior Member Senior Member

My take is that pakistanis are under pressure after doing 26/11 and waiting to ease out the pressure before resuming their regular duties.

Why so? Oh! i got it, he is most eligible the same way Jawahar Lal was in front of Sardar Vallabhai Bhai Patel.......Long live Nehru and Gandhi and how can i forget to say "god bless India".

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  14. ahmedsid

Oh, Pakistanis waiting for the pressure to ease eh??? Hmmm sounds like Osama Bin Laden going on a Carribean Cruise to ease out the pressure from those pesky Bounty hunters after him! Be serious dude, the LeT Is not organisation to ease out, and the ISI too wont sit idle because an attack on India is the perfect way to get India to react and thereyby they can move their forces towards India and start blaming India for the Taliban growth in their country. Elements in the ISI are sleepin with the Talibs, and this would be a perfect way to "ease out the pressure" on the talibs!

And About Rahul being PM, thats the personal opinion of someone, you need not try to put down your ideals through sarcasm into his him. To Each his Own! Lastly, thats Offtopic, so lets lay our hands clean by not bringing that in! God Speed.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  15. NSG_Blackcats

As far as my logic is concerned, we have fought 3 wars and Kargil conflict with Pakistan. Our armed forces have defended our country with their untested weapons every single time. So for me there is no reason to doubt the capability of our armed forces, even with those untested weapon platforms.
    Now when it comes to terrorism the fact remains we never learnt our lesson Every single time promises were made by various home ministers and they were simply proved a long way from adequate when the situation arises. We are assured after Parliament attack, Mumbai serial blast in local trains, Delhi Serial blast in Sarojini nagar, Cannaut Place. But every single time when any new attack takes place, it shows us where we stand. The same was the case with 26/11. Unless until the ground reality changes in our response to terrorism I will not believe any lip service made by any Home Minister of India.

Do not blame the CPM for your own convenience. There is not any CPM led Govt. in Orissa, AP, Jharkhand, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra. What you say about these state govts?? These state governments are also in tie up with the Maoist and Naxal?
    I agree with you that to solve Naxal problems we have to make rapid development in the naxals affected areas. But the problem is nobody is ready to go there as they fear for their security. For me this is a cumulative failure of both state and central government.

Who is the expecting parity with US? At least I am not. Don’t know about you. FBI can interrogate Kasav who is under the custody of Mumbai Police, but our agency cannot interrogate Hadley. This shows the level of our co operation with US. What is the relation of US with which country is none of my business. I want our relationship and intelligence sharing with US to be mutual. I do not want India to be a B team of US, like Britain. You are welcome, if you feel to be proud of India becoming the B team of US.
    As far as any terrorist organization’s modules about attacking India, surely they must be planning for new attacks. What I am saying, I have no other option. I have to believe Chidambaram that they have foiled these attacks.

Please do not bring stuffs like JAI INDIRA!! I am not using anything to my advantage. I am just quoting historical facts. If what I have mentioned about vacating strategic points in J & K is wrong, than tell me. It is like Indian Armed forces are doing a tremendous job for all of us. We are proud of our armed forces. But it does not mean when any human rights violation is done by our Army or any corruption done by the forces, we cannot criticise them.

Now you are kidding. When the Armed forces works under the Ministry of defense how can they not follow their order. It is like a Jawan doing things without the order of his CO. Come on!!!!!

16. ahmedsid

1) Yes we have fought wars with Pakistan, but then didnt we learn some awesome lessons in Kargil? That our Migs were not that good up the mountains? That Israelis techs needed to be flown down and thereby looose awesomely precious time and Lives?? Anyways, lets stop this at this! It will only go off topic, so lets agree to disagree.

2) I Feel, In recent times, we didnt have a good Home Minister Like Chidambaram. You may say I am enamoured by his tall claims like Obama, well I say, Let time decide. About terrorist strikes, No one, not even the Great USA can assure its citizens of 100% Protection. Terrorists are people who think differently from us, they are bound to find loopholes in our ways, and I pray that day never comes.

3) True, i might have been harsh on the CPM folks, but what do you do with two faced Politicians such as them? I read a recent news bite about Maharashtra asking for Survelliance drones and other stuff to take on Naxals. Isnt that nice?? I mean, the only way to go hard on them is to go high tech, use the best we got and crush them while working on the core issues as well. The Politicians not being brave enough to take on the issue is not the failure of the Center or State. Its the failure of the Citizens! When good citizens dont Vote, Bad Politicians get elected! The Blame has to be on us actually. We should own up, we should speak up against the inequalities and provide the helpless with help, that way the Naxals will be jobless. Well easy to type you would say, And I would agree!

4) Good that you are not expecting parity. Giving Kasab to FBI is a failure of our Government all right. I call it the White Mans Syndrome ( Call me Racial, but it really is a syndrome). We all forget the case at hand the moment an American babu comes up. I mean, they wont ever give us Headley, I knew it the moment I heard, I didnt know why folks had their hopes high! Its just like hoping Pakistan to give us access to Saeed!

5) I too have heard of Strategic points being vacated, and thats a failure of our leaders to think ahead. I am sure Indiraji nor her contempories would have thought that Pakistan would unleash Terror upon India like they are doing Now. They must have thought after the 71 defeat, aaal is wellll and Pakistand wont poke its head into Kashmir again, and They Were Wrong!

6) Last point, I didnt quite get you! Could you explain about orders from CO and all? God Speed.

17. johnee

johnee Elite Member Elite Member

After Shivraj Patil, everyone looks good. The real test is at the time of action. No attacks on India have happened because of international factors and not because of any specific internal security appratus. Of course, new measures have been taken but their effectiveness is undetermined. Remember Shivraj Patil also looked good until 26/11...

18. ahmedsid

You mean to say he looked good in those Designer Suits right? How the hell did he look good otherwise?? People were clamouring to remove him after every damn blast!!! And you say he was Goood! Are you all right? When 26/11 happened, the magnitude of the attack left no choice for Madam Sonia but to remove the Good Looking Man!!! Now think before you write of such comments, putting me into a fit!!!

Lastly, Can you care to list out those so called "International" Factors? When was the last time the international community was able to rein in Pakistan and their non state actors??? God Speed

19. johnee

johnee Elite Member Elite Member

Ahmedji, you have unnecessarily gotten into a 'fit'. I am merely pointing out thatPatil was also looking good(no not his looks, he still looked like a 'chusa hua aam ki gutli' in his designer suits) until 26/11. If you want to list bomb-blasts as failure of Patil, then one can also list naxalite aggessiveness and a few bomb-blasts as the failure of Chidambaram. The bottom-line is that after 26/11, Pakistan could not just go about its terror business in India. That is not an achievement for our HM. The real test would be in coming days when the Pakistan sponsored groups will try to replicate another 26/11, because India has agreed to talks.

20. ahmedsid

Jonny, You are scooting away bro, Answer my question! What are these International Factors??? Is it the factor that If India and Pak are having a bad relationship the terrorists wont do anything, and if India and Pak sit down to talk the Terrorists attack! If that is the case, then we must not blame Pakistan for the terrorists, because they too want to talk to us, but these "non state" actors not letting us! Now tell me, the international factors!!

About a fit, it was a laughing fit! If you want to point out the Naxal attacks during chidambarams tenure go ahead, be my guest, but remember, ULFA is getting a blow too thanks to HM and IA playing awesome games in Bangladesh and in the NE!

Now can you care to List out the Bomb blasts caused by Pak elements during Mr Patils tenure?? Can you do that and after that will you still say he was looking 'Good"? God Speed.

21. NSG_Blackcats

Kargil was again a failure of Army intelligence. They cannot track the infiltration and we have to pay a heavy price. We lost 600 of our brave men. But it will be better for both of us, not to pursue more on this otherwise we will go off topic as you rightly mentioned.

My only point is why we have to learn the lesson the hard way??

You are right. Only time will tell us about the credibility of the tall claims made by Chidambaram. Yes, no one can fully protect its citizens from terror strikes. But even in our case we are not even taking the basic steps. Let me give an example. New Delhi railway station handles near about 21 lakh passenger every day. Why can’t we put 10 X-ray machines for luggage checking there? Just go and watch the walks through metal detectors are not working there. It is impossible for the policemen posted there to check everyone.

If any terror attack happens there, Home Minister of India, Delhi CM and Railway minister will play the blame game. So When the HM is making claims, I am not convinced his plans are implemented. Otherwise after 26/11, New Delhi railway station must have a better security apparatus placed. Unfortunately that is not the case.

Surveillance drone, this is again another funny story. The state government which cannot send reinforcement and a Chopper when 30 policemen were mercilessly killed by naxals want surveillance drone. The most disgusting thing was the chopper was in standby for a politician.

It is the one of the easiest thing to blame the voters. Why we do not have a call back system in our democracy?? This will give the voters the right to call back their representative after 1 year if they are not satisfied with his work. We do not have a non of the above option in our EVMs. May I ask why? If a voter feels all the candidates of a constituency are criminals what will he do? Either he will abstain or will choose one of those.

I totally agree with you on this point. I hope our government comes out of the syndrome which you have mentioned above. But I am afraid that is not going to happen.

Agree mate. Basically we Indians are soft in nature. We easily believe anyone.

I mean, Indian Army cannot do things on its own. Of course, they will follow instructions from government. It is same as a Jawan in the army following order of his commanding officer. But many times, many governments ignore the feedback given by our armed forces. (Like, ceasefire with ULFA – It gave ULFA time to regroup; ceasefire with naxals in AP – that only help them in regrouping etc.)