Modi enlightenment 22 years late: Jairam R on toilet before temple

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Ray, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Narendra Modi got his enlightenment 22 years late: Jairam Ramesh on 'toilets before temples' remark

NEW DELHI: A day after BJP PM candidate Narendra Modi's "toilets first, temples later" comment, rural development minister Jairam Ramesh hit back saying the Gujarat CM's realisation had come 22 years too late and was prompted by compulsion rather than conviction.

Last year, Ramesh had come under attack from the Sangh Parivar and found himself abandoned by his party, for making a similar toilet versus temple comment. "I had also said the same thing, and the BJP had opposed it. It is a matter of regret that nobody defended me then," Ramesh said.

"I still believe we need more toilets than temples. I wish the Gujarat chief minister had this enlightenment 22 years ago then India's politics would have been different," the rural development minister said. "Babri Masjid would not have happened, the Bombay bomb blasts and ensuing communal riots across the country would not happened and the Godhra riots would not have happened."

Ramesh, who as sanitation minister championed the need for toilets, said Modi's realisation was driven by political expediency. "I spoke out of conviction, Modi speaks out of compulsion. In his search for the PM's position, this aspirant Modi can say anything and do anything," he said.

"I still believe we need more toilets than temples. ...I am happy however, that the Gujarat chief minister had this enlightenment," Ramesh added.

Ramesh, however, reserved his ire for the BJP and the sister organisations of the Sangh Parivar. As sanitation minister, Ramesh had come under attack from the BJP and some outfits of the Sangh Parivar for a similar comment he had made barely 12 months ago.

The BJP responded saying there was a distinction between what the two had said. "Modi, who has been in favour of development as top of his agenda, is now talking of providing people with basic amenities. He does not compare toilets with temples. This is different from Ramesh, who said toilets were more important than temples," BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman said.

The Congress has now accused the BJP of going silent on whatever Modi says. "Ramesh had once said toilets should be made before temples. BJP had then criticised him and demanded that he seek an apology," junior minister for parliamentary affairs, Rajiv Shukla, said.[/B]

Narendra Modi's toilet talk compulsion, mine conviction: Jairam Ramesh - The Economic Times

To be fair, I heard Jairam's and Modi's statement.

Narendra Modi said: India should build 'toilets before temples'.

Iairam Ramesh said ' Sauchalaya mandir se bhi paviitra hai'.

Modi said first build toilets since women have to go to the fields, and then temples.

Jairam said Toilets are more holy than temples.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
    NSG_Blackcats likes this.
  3. Ray

Re: Modi enlightenment 22 years late: Jairam R on toilet before templ

What takes the cake is

Congress leader Digvijay Singh said Mr Modi had once said that those who clean toilets get spiritual pleasure from it. “I want to ask him, had he ever experienced the pleasure and cleaned the toilet?”

Narendra Modi: India should build 'toilets before temples' - Telegraph

I am sure Digvijay has experienced the pleasure, if not Modi, since he seems to be the expert!

4. SLASH

SLASH Senior Member Senior Member

Can Jairam Ramesh say the same thing by replacing 'mandir' with 'masjid'? I am not a hindu myself, but to see politicians appeasing one religion at the expense of another is really frustrating.

NSG_Blackcats, parijataka and Ray like this.
  5. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

This is very rich coming in from a gentleman who in his earlier avatar as the Environmental minister has done enormous damage to the investment scene in India by obstructing each and every project that come across his desk.

He is responsible for stalling projects worth Billions of Rs. and foregone employment opportunities to thousands of poor people.

6. Dinesh_Kumar

Dinesh_Kumar Regular Member

Better 22 years late than Never, eh.......

7. Ray

Congress politics will not allow that!

It will be taken as blasphemous!

8. dhananjay1

dhananjay1 Regular Member

Not just 'blasphemous' but dangerous. If these congis say anything like that about masjids then there would be calls for their death and real attacks on their lives. They know that they can insult Hindus without fear but not Muslims. People like these congis are directly responsible for rousing anger among Hindus. When one community is insulted again and again and the other is given a free hand there would be no bloody 'sadbhav'.