Modi autocratic due to caste: Outlook article

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by LurkerBaba, Mar 19, 2012.

1. LurkerBaba

LurkerBaba Staff Administrator

This is a new low for our media.

www.outlookindia.com | The Snake Oil Salesman

maomao likes this.
  3. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

And what would Bekar Patel have to say about Manmohan Singh, an aberration ? Sardars are supposedly a proud and warrior like community and MMS is the epitome of spinelessness.

4. LurkerBaba

LurkerBaba Staff Administrator

Actually I found another article by this Aakar Patel, in the Pakistani Express Tribune:

Of Punjab’s partition, castes & martial races – The Express Tribune

5. ashdoc

ashdoc Senior Member Senior Member

outlook editor vinod mehta is nothing but a chamcha of sonia gandhi and such ramblings are to be expected from his mag . nothing new .

maomao likes this.
  6. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Looking from an unbiased PoV and not talking about any personalities, I think the author is right. You bring your traits into politics. Businessmen tend to be pragmatic and often take tactical decisions to secure strategic future. The quest for higher profits keeps their minds ticking.

If you notice, most of US's presidents have been good businessmen. That is why they are so clinical in securing their interests.

I know my post will open a can of worms but this is my thought. Feel free to dissect.

7. Tolaha

Tolaha Senior Member Senior Member

Let me be the first to express my dissent!

Gujarathis are great businessmen/women, no doubt about that. Even though I'm not convinced about the correlation between businessmen and politicians, but for argument sake, let me accept it to be true. But the theory that one particular community will make better politicians has a very close similarity with the "Martial race" theory. The Martial race theory too sounded good when it was going on, though there were facts that said that the supposedly non-martial races showed greater signs to be empire builders. Also, the races that convinced themselves to be martial and hence superior in combat to others (talking about Pakistanis here), ended up making a fool of themselves. Lets not make a similar error with this caste or clan based superiority theory. It has dangerous precedents and we are best to avoid such fallacies.

8. Yusuf

No relation between martial race theory and this one.

Ok can we agree that some people are born leaders an are natural at that? Some people automatically become leader of men? Look at cricket teams. We have great cricketers but not good leader of men but we may have average cricketers who are great leaders of men.

I am not trying to generalize, I am only tryin to say that businessmen will carry their traits in all walks of life.

9. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

Leaders are generally those who can take responsibility for the failure of their Team and responsibility .Another trait of a leader is he must be able to face the wrath of his own people when his judgement errs.Finally his response must be highly irrational when dangerous comes to his team.

This is how Thugs like me see Leadership

10. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

So you compromise, right? ;)

Gujarati and a businessman, but not a Ghanchi! Never knew that such a thing exists. I like to roll the word 'Ghanchi' on my tongue!

:rofl:

The Gujarati bartanwalis, who exchange steel utensils for old clothes hardly ever bargain. They must be Ghanchis!

Gandhi, the Bania,bargained a lot. Is that what is the theme of Mehta Maharaj's refrain?

But Gandhi and Ghanchi sounds so similar. In one it is a 'd' and in the other, it is the alphabet before it - 'c'!

You Gujaratis are masters at camouflage that leads to confusion amongst others.

See how Patel sorted out the Pakistanis!

But then Gandhi and Jinnah did a deal, in good business style, and divided the country and kept themselves happy that they have got a good deal for themselves!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  11. Yusuf

Sir, business is all about making th customer feel he is king and fleecing him!!
    Compromise is part of life. A lot can be achieved by it and I tell you, sometimes you can achieve a compromise on your own terms.

12. lemontree

lemontree Defence Professionals Defence Professionals

The article by Aakar Patel is too castist, and it attempts to show that MMS is a better leader than NM, because he is heading a coalition.
    In a way MMS has an unenviable task, but then you cannot deny that NM has done a better job with his state that many others.

Mamta Bannerjee seems to want to out do the CPI, by making West Bengal into Waste Bengal.
    The less said the better about UP.
    Orissa is in a perpetual state of seclusion - Patnaiks have ruled that state for ever - and what do we have there?

The author should have compared MMS to any other politician who has handled a coalition. Like the circus that happened during VP Singh's govt!

parijataka likes this.
  13. Tshering22

Tshering22 Sikkimese Saber Senior Member

MMS is pathetic. I cannot even believe he got to be our PM. And even if he did, he exhibited none of this 90s charisma and hardwork other than being a hand puppet.

If Modi ji has been autocratic and transformed Gujarat, then to hell with this UPA-wala "democracy". I'd prefer Modi's autocracy ANYDAY.

maomao and Mad Indian like this.
  14. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

:hail::hail:

If they have nothing to point at Modi-(since all their attempts to demonize him on violence and genocide failed) they bring caste into the equation and demonise him :frusty:

Shame on the CONgi voice piece.

maomao and Tshering22 like this.
  15. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

The media should get out of the casteist mindset. Why look for caste angles in everything?

Ok, if they want, they can make a point that good businessmen make good politicians - that is their hypothesis. But the amount of caste-ridden crap that the author of this piece spews all over, makes me sick. The second article about Pakjab's "martial races" clearly shows the author's bent of mind.

Irresponsible rag!

parijataka and maomao like this.