Mob storms National Museum

Folk hero

Several historical artifacts exhibited at the Maldives National Museum, including Buddhist statues were destroyed in a mob attack on Wednesday morning, an act of vandalism that is said to have caused "unimaginable damage" to the treasured Maldivian heritage.

Speaking to Minivan News, a museum official said that a group of five to six men stormed into the building twice, "deliberately targeted the Buddhist relics and ruins of monasteries exhibited in the pre- Islamic collection, destroying most items "beyond repair".

The official said that the details of the damage cannot be released as the police have asked the museum to withhold the information until the investigation into the attack is pending."'But I can say that attackers have done unimaginable damage," he added.

"This is not like a glass we use at home that can be replaced by buying a new one from a shop. These are originals from our ancestors' time. These cannot be replaced ever again," the official exclaimed.

According to a source, a coral stone head of Lord Buddha, an 11th century piece recovered from Thoddoo in Alifu Atoll, was smashed up by the attackers, one of the most significant pieces at the museum inside Sultan's Park.

The museum was built with Chinese government aid and opened on July 26, 2010.

Other pieces vandalised include the Bohomala sculptures, monkey statues and a broken statue piece of the Hindu water god, Makara, while the two five faced statues discovered from Male' were also damaged – the only remaining archaeological evidence proving the existence of a Buddhist era in the Maldives.

The glass casings holding the items were also destroyed in the attack.

According to the museum official, some of the attackers who returned to the museum for the second time were apprehended by the police who arrived on the scene.

"Around five to six people were taken under police custody. But by then they had already done the damage they wanted," he observed.

Minivan News could get the confirmation on the arrest from the police at the time of press.

The attack on the museum coincided with the political unrest that escalated in Male' on late hours of Tuesday night, after a group of policeman and military allegedly joined the opposition protestors, forcing Former President Mohamed Nasheed to resign the following day.

AFP reported Nasheed as saying that the vandals included Islamist hardliners who had attacked the museum because they believed some of the statues inside were "idolatrous".

The monuments gifted by the South Asian countries to the Maldives ahead of the 17th summit of South Asian Association of Regional Cooperation SAARC, hosted in Addu city were also denounced as idolatrous monuments and vandalised, including the monument gifted by Pakistan.

Removal of the contentious monuments was one of the five demands of the December 23 protesters, including religious groups and opposition, who also demanded that the government prohibit Israeli airlines from operating in the Maldives.

The museum official who spoke to Minivan News earlier said that he cannot comment on whether the attack was connected to fundamentalists.

'We are not trying to promote any religion here. These artifacts are used for the purpose of teaching, archeological research and showing Maldivian history to visitors," he explained. "But a significant part of our heritage is lost now.

http://http://minivannews.com/society/mob-storms-national-museum-destroys-buddhist-statues-a-significant-part-of-our-heritage-is-lost-now-31813

really, why i'am not surprised.:tsk::tsk:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Several historical artifacts exhibited at the Maldives National Museum, including Buddhist statues were destroyed in a mob attack on Wednesday morning, an act of vandalism that is said to have caused "unimaginable damage" to the treasured Maldivian heritage.
What a bunch of lunatics, no respect for their heritage or the priceless antiquity of these artifacts. Such people are a disgrace to humanity.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
India has lost the script!

Wahhabis will take over.

Gayoom's people have been inducted in the Cabinet is the news!

Fundamentalists to the core!

pankaj nema

Country flag
Good at least India's confusion can now end

And we can give Maldives a whacking if they allow LET ISI to set up bases

Oracle

IIRC, Maldives was in the news around 2 years back, that some youths are being sent to Pakistan for Jihadi training. So, this coup was in the making. I would not be surprised if it was funded by ISI. But, why the hell does the GoI always lack pro-active action?

pmaitra

IIRC, Maldives was in the news around 2 years back, that some youths are being sent to Pakistan for Jihadi training. So, this coup was in the making. I would not be surprised if it was funded by ISI. But, why the hell does the GoI always lack pro-active action?
Thank our government for that. If it was in the news, I am sure our intelligence and government knew about it, but decided to ignore it.

I wonder what role PRC is playing here.

pankaj nema

Country flag
The new cabinet ministers that have taken oath ; in the new government
that has come to power are all Pakistan sympathisers and have been
frequent visitors to Pakistan for taking guidance from ISI

Right now the Indian delegation that has gone for talks includes senior defence personnel who have been
sent to do some tough talking

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Wow, So they started with History erasing just like in Pakistan!

Just test a nuke in Indian ocean and the resulting Tsunami will destroy Maldives.

pankaj nema

Country flag
We were in the process of setting up a chain of coastal surveillance radars along the Maldivian coastline
because nearly 1000 out of 1200 islands in MAldives are uninhabited and are being eyed by LET ISI

Now if the new govt of Maldives does n t allow this happen it means that Maldives has tipped over to Pakistan
and we will then have to take strong measures for our security

Oracle

Thank our government for that. If it was in the news, I am sure our intelligence and government knew about it, but decided to ignore it.

I wonder what role PRC is playing here.
I did not get the bold part.

PRC. That is a good point. I am sure PRC has some hand, monetarily. China would supply money, beggeristan would impart jihadi training.

pmaitra

I did not get the bold part.

PRC. That is a good point. I am sure PRC has some hand, monetarily. China would supply money, beggeristan would impart jihadi training.
The government should have increased its intelligence gathering after that news you mentioned came out and they should have pre-empted this and taken steps. It is not too difficult to make a couple of the coup plotters to disappear, especially from a place like Maldives.

sehwag1830

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Hindu and Buddhist images razed in Maldives museum

Waheed says 99% of the Maldives' pre-Islamic artifacts from before the 12th century, when most inhabitants were Buddhists or Hindus , were destroyed.

"Some of the pieces can be put together but mostly they are made of sandstone, coral and limestone, and they are reduced to powder," he said. The mob of suspected Muslim extremists attacked the museum during the Maldives' unfolding political crisis.

The country has seen weeks of protests and last week president Mohamed Nasheed stepped down.

The attack was the latest blow to the island nation that is best known as a high-end tourist destination.

Hindu images razed in Maldives museum - Times Of India

Another peaceful demonstration of Islam.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
O man first Afganistan and now Maldivies, there where a lot of Buddhist and Hindu temples and architecture in Iran, Central Asia, Arabia and Europe there where Buddhist temples in Roam to just like there is in Japan, Mongolia or Java the Christians and Muslims vandalized and destroyed them. What a loss of heritage.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
None of the Maldivians are moderates. Just go to their stupid country and see. I used to respect them earlier for being India-friendly, but they are worse than Pakistan in attitude, which I realized only after visiting the place for a vacation. Could have as well gone to Lakshadweep which is equally beautiful and doesn't need me any legal formalities.:tsk:

These stupid wannabe sheikhs must suffer for doing this just as the Talibunnies suffered after destroying Bamyan Buddha statues. I'd celebrate with carton of beer and fast food when I hear more Maldivian islands sink in Indian Ocean.

They deserve it.... the sick lunatics.:mad2:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
These stupid wannabe sheikhs must suffer for doing this just as the Talibunnies suffered after destroying Bamyan Buddha statues. I'd celebrate with carton of beer and fast food when I hear more Maldivian islands sink in Indian Ocean.

They deserve it.... the sick lunatics.:mad2:
you know what, this is exactly what my parents were saying when afghanistan was invaded. Lunatics. When these idiots behave like this, what will we think about their religion. They are destroying their own image.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles