Mission to Ensure India is Respected and Feared in the World- Parrikar

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by sorcerer, Jan 25, 2015.

1. sorcerer

sorcerer Senior Member Senior Member

Deft Defence Minister on a Mission to Ensure India is Respected and Feared in the World

The guns have fallen relatively silent on India’s borders for the past few weeks. Even the Pakistani establishment seems to have reined in jihadis for now. Secularists may attribute the unexpected fall in the number of border incursions and infiltrations to the Obama visit, though the Indian Army said two days ago that 150 militants are waiting behind LoC to cross over. But the Olive Branch Brigade has conveniently forgotten that India now has a defence minister who neither barks without biting nor starts snoring when jawans are being maimed and civilians are massacred. And when he bites, it turns out to be fatal for the foe. Ever since 59-year-old Manohar Gopalkrishna Prabhu Parrikar took over as the 24th defence minister, protecting the country and its men in uniform has become his Mission 24X7. For the past three months, his actions have been unconventional and his comments acidic, which have pained peaceniks.

Last week, he stirred a hornet’s nest with the explosive revelation that some former Indian PMs compromised our deep intelligence assets in Pakistan. No other defence minister has ever charged any chief executive of the country of treason. But it was not just an off-the-cuff remark. It was a calculated strategy on Parrikar’s part to silence those who are out to sabotage and oppose India’s new aggressive stance against its inimical neighbour. For the past 10 years, the Indian defence establishment has been forced to face the enemy with both hands tied behind its back and mouth bridled. Now, through his frank statements and quick decision-making, Parrikar has changed the entire narrative and grammar of India’s defence and strategic policy. He hardly bothers about the nuances and spins offered to him by agents of Western think tanks.

On Monday, as India’s defence minister, he would be playing the host at the Republic Day Parade, for which US President Barack Obama is the chief guest. While Parrikar is busy in conference with backroom diplomats and defence officials to anticipate every possible hiccup in the execution of his plans, the media is more concerned about Obama’s Beast and his romantic but now aborted visit to the Taj Mahal. As a member of the all-powerful Cabinet Committee on Defence, he has been chosen as the pointsman to finalise various defence and strategic pacts. PM Modi knows Parrikar wouldn’t be swayed by US mania and instead, would do some plain-speaking to the business-minded Americans.

Defence experts feel that Parrikar’s strong comments and inflexible approach towards Pakistan has forced the US and Western world to look at the insurgency-infested country with suspicion. Parrikar was uncompromising when he made it clear to the West that it has to choose between a democratic India and terror habitat Pakistan. Last month, the defence ministry read the riot act to US Secretary of State John Kerry that India wouldn’t be able to do business with the US unless it forces Pakistan to dismantle terror camps and ban terrorist outfits operating on its soil. It is not a coincidence that the Sharif government banned a few of them and Obama spoke against terror camps prior to landing in India. Such high testosterone actions were never expected from the US in the past, because of India’s wavering stand on Pakistan. The Americans were particularly taken aback by the threatening tenor of Parrikar’s repeated warnings to Pakistan. When incursions rose exponentially, he sent a clear message to the Indian armed forces. “Our (NDA government) response is: don’t hesitate. React appropriately without holding yourself back.” He mandated that they should retaliate “with double the force” against all ceasefire violations.

Parrikar’s security-minded preoccupation with Pakistan is not his only virtue. He is very impatient with the slow speed in procurement of defence equipment and the largely dysfunctional DRDO. Last month, when he terminated the services of DRDO chief Avinash Chander—who was on a temporary extension—it signalled his intent of promoting innovative thinking. Parrikar feels that it is the DRDO’s failure that has made India heavily dependent on defence imports. On Chander’s exit, he remarked: “I thought that at 64, a person (Chander) probably thinks in a more cautious way. The scientist world today requires probably a much younger generation.”

Another bold decision of Parrikar’s was legalising the role of defence agents, ignoring all possible adverse impact. Within two months in his job, he told officials to draw up a roadmap for legalising the role of these agents. Aware of the damage done to many politicians and civil servants through their dealings with them, Parrikar felt it was better to bring all hidden persuaders into the public gaze so that their connections become transparent to all. He says, “Several times we require feedback and also someone who can get us information. There are some foreign companies which want to come to India... They can’t go on sending their people here.” But he also made clear that it was just an idea, and a “clear cut” policy would be announced soon on engaging representatives for arms procurements, which will also provide for punitive action against firms found giving kickbacks.

As Goa’s CM, Parrikar dealt with various stake holders directly on all issues. He wouldn’t mind walking down to the hotels and offices of those whom he thought would be useful for his state’s development. He has carried this culture to the defence ministry. Soon after Modi approved the hike in FDI in defence, Parrikar invited a number of Indian corporates to Goa on December 27. He was assisted only by his private secretary at the meeting, which was attended by representatives of leading defence equipment manufactures like Kalyani Group, Bharat Forge, Godrej and Boyce, Ashok Leyland, Tata Advanced Systems and Larsen & Toubro. Parrikar is playing the role of a reformer for whom defence production is not a clandestine business, but a source of boosting the Make in India campaign. As CM, his mission was to make the tiny state of Goa a vibrant global tourist destination. Now as defence minister, his vigilant eyes are constantly examining every ----- in India’s defence armour and seal it mercilessly. Parrikar’s idea of India is a nation, which is both feared and respected not just in the neighbourhood, but in the entire world.

Deft Defence Minister on a Mission to Ensure India is Respected and Feared in the World - The New Indian Express

jackprince, iNDiAN.96, VIP and 7 others like this.
  3. Nicky G

Nicky G Senior Member Senior Member

Re: Mission to Ensure India is Respected and Feared in the World- Parr

I was just reading this, though it seems to make the case that right signals are being sent, results will take some time.

Don't get the part about pressuring US. Are we really expected to believe Pakis are going to dismantle their 'strategic assets'? That won't happen as long as Paki government (with bheek from US and / or China) keeps funding them. Even on banning JuD, we hear double speak. Are we sure they have been banned? Is Pak going to act on Lakhvi? Don't think so. I'll take this seriously when I see some real action.

The transparency in defence procurement is absolutely critical, but it does not serve the purpose of a lot in the establishment who benefit from hidden deals. I hope this government can push this through. This by itself will be a monumental achievement. :hail:

Retaliation with Paki cease-fore violations is an ongoing thing. I understand things are better, but I still feel so much more needs to be done.

DRDO changes I am fine with. Their performance except in few areas has not been up to scratch. If the DM feels a change at the top brings in fresh thoughts and sends a message down the ranks, fine by me. Hope it works.

All in all, obviously after what we have had to bear with for the past decade, the current DM is a significant improvement. Just hope he keeps his 'impatience' and does not mellow down being part of the system, which I believe is a major part why Modi brought him in.

4. sorcerer

I suppose that such moves of armtwisting USA vis a vis Pakistan will make Pakistan dismantle terror camps. BUT
    India should stick to her said words ans such pressure tactics can work.

Such are the only methods by which we can make countries put pressure on the failure called Pakistan.
    Pakistan wont work on its own for its benefits..It cant be bribed because its a bitch who knows how to get the money. Only way to get things done is to put indirect pressure on Pakistan through peers.

We have strong and capable diplomats who know how to get what they want..I really really appreciate the way India has handled her diplomacies well not just now...but even with former Govts. I consider that as one of India's strongest point.

5. thethinker

thethinker Senior Member Senior Member

Timing of this is interesting and a good one at that.

Perhaps an indirect way of stating that friendship based on mutual interests with US is appreciated, but it shouldn't be understood as an extension of US foreign policy in SE Asia through use of India.

6. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

Thanks to rise of China, the two biggest democracies have no choice but to come together.

7. Nicky G

Nicky G Senior Member Senior Member

Based on my line of thinking and I might be well off here, but I don't see diplomacy alone leading to the dismantling of these terror infrastructure. Look, we all know that these assets allow Pakis to wage asymmetric war on India when it knows it cannot wage a direct war. To make them give that up would mean giving up their core anti-India operations, that is not a simple proposition.

The more US puts pressure, the more Pakis will go running to their new and perhaps increasingly only daddy China. Add the Russian tilt to China to the mix and that arrangement will work for them. We'll be where we started just with US backing us a bit more.

If one is serious about dismantling these 'assets' you have to make the cost truly unbearable, that means lighting up both the borders of Pak. Or if the US is truly on our side, carry out ops within Pak to take these assets out. The first, neither wants to do due to various reasons. If US backs us in the second regard, China is in no position to do anything.

My simple point, diplomacy is good for the cameras and press conferences, hopefully real work is going behind that scenes that we do not need to be told about until such a time that the results become obvious.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  8. LETHALFORCE

LETHALFORCE Moderator Moderator

Why is he saying india cannot do business with USA unless Pakistan dismantles terror camps?
    Seems like a silly statement for someone in his position.facts are:

India already does big business with USA
    USA has no control over pakistan's terror camps if they did 9/11 possibly might have been avoided
    Why let pakistan control indian economy and growth with a stupid proposition like this.

9. sorcerer

@LETHALFORCE
    I take the business part in this light

I think DM is talking about the upcoming defence deals which are to be inked.(The enormous business potential India has via liberalisation of investment in defence sector)

1) US controls Pakistan. So we are trying to get the thing done with Pakistan through US. Meaning US can actually put pressure via aid or other support which is due to Pak from the west. A compromised position is something PAK cant handle.

2) US cant play both sides or with such purview from DM who is very serious about what he says. Such move will ensure this factor that unless our genuine concerns are met there is no happy endings.

Post 9/11 US has virtually taken out PAK in big way.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  10. sorcerer

1) Pressure through US coupled with our TSD activated inside PAK(Long shot..but not that far) can give India the edge.

2)Tilt is a factor but how managebly easy will it be for PAK to run into the hands of China or Russia. Will USA allow such a move with PAK being the center of its Asian Agenda and a base to contain china.
    How much was PAK able to do about its IRAN-PAK pipeline? US had made such economic viabilities of Pak un approachable.
    Such pressure is not going to ease

11. LETHALFORCE

USA controlling Pakistan is a loose statement if this were 100 percent true Osama bin laden
    Would have been killed much earlier. Saudis have more control over Pakistan than anyone else
    And they are just pawns for USA and china who have limited control at a price. Indian govt had
    Many opportunities to do things against Pakistan. Why not have joint drone monitoring with
    USA? India wants all these things on a platter without signing any agreements or pacts. India
    And us relations have not advanced due to issues on both sides but indian govt politicizing and
    Making things public has been a big obstacle.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  12. LETHALFORCE

I assure you with USA backing tapi pipeline Iran Pakistan pipeline will NEVER happen.

13. sorcerer

Yes..thats exactly my point!
    USA wont ease the pressure on PAK. US will never be able to get such a squashable country in Asia. nearer to China other than Pak.

14. Virendra

Virendra Moderator Moderator

Those are not his words exactly but the reporter's.
    Too early to stand vindicated. But today I'm re-assured after having earlier marked Parrikar as my favorite Defence Minister ;)

15. LETHALFORCE

USA has very little faith in Pakistan. That is why recent attempts were made to
    Improve relations with Iran.

16. roma

roma NRI in Europe Senior Member

agree totally - my only possible explanation is that
    it is a weird form of attempted psychological influence , more akin to Gandhian days
    when a person self destruct by going on hunger fast to pressure others

those days are over , but we still have a few left-overs - in the DoD
    and that's the weird voice , some staff officer who managed
    to slip those words into the official statement

LETHALFORCE likes this.