Missiles, rockets, bombs used to cover up nuclear test preparations:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Missiles, rockets, bombs used to cover up nuclear test preparations: APJ Abdul Kalam

New Delhi: The Congress-led minority government of Narasimha Rao wanted to conduct nuclear tests in 1996 but had not anticipated it would lose the general election that year, revealed former president APJ Abdul Kalam.

He said that Prime Minister Rao asked him to prep for the tests just two days before the results of the elections came in.

PM Rao had miscalculated only one thing - the 1996 elections results. But after the Congress was defeated, what followed was equally startling. He asked Dr Kalam, his top scientist and then Scientific Advisor to the Defence Minister, to brief the Prime Minister-designate Atal Behari Vajpayee about the impending test and the nuclear programme.

"The message which we can see is that Nation is bigger than any organisation or political system," Dr Kalam said at a function organised by the Research and Analysis Wing (R&AW).

Mr Vajpayee's first government would only last for 13 days and the nuclear programme would be pushed to the backburner as India lurched from one political crisis to another and saw two Prime Ministers - Haradanahalli Doddegowda Deve Gowda and IK Gujral - in as many years. "Of course, after taking over as Prime Minister in 1998, the first task given by Vajpayee to us was to conduct the nuclear test at the earliest," Dr Kalam said. India would evade surveillance satellites and prying eyes to conduct the test on May 11, 1998 at Pokhran Ranges in Northern Rajasthan, about 150 km away from Pakistan.

A series of missiles and rockets were launched and experimental bombs were dropped to "divert the attention of snoopers" before conducting the nuclear tests, Dr Kalam added.

"An important event was to take place the next day. Multiple agencies were in action. The next two nights were dark nights with no moon light. The other side, the world was sleeping. At the Chandipur flight test range, a series of 12 Trishuls were launched. Almost every two hours, one launch.

"At the Island range at stealth launch pad, a simulated Agni launch preparation was going on in high intensity. In Pokhran ranges, away from the action point, a number of rockets, PINAKA type, were put into action. At mid-day and evening, Air Force aircraft was bombarding with runway destruction bombs on experimental runways," he said.

Missiles, rockets, bombs used to cover up nuclear test preparations: APJ Abdul Kalam | NDTV.com

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Re: Missiles, rockets, bombs used to cover up nuclear test preparation

"An important event was to take place the next day. Multiple agencies were in action. The next two nights were dark nights with no moon light. The other side, the world was sleeping. At the Chandipur flight test range, a series of 12 Trishuls were launched. Almost every two hours, one launch.

"At the Island range at stealth launch pad, a simulated Agni launch preparation was going on in high intensity. In Pokhran ranges, away from the action point, a number of rockets, PINAKA type, were put into action. At mid-day and evening, Air Force aircraft was bombarding with runway destruction bombs on experimental runways," he said.
great................

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!

I will monitor this thread and see if the nation is above politics for some dfi members :notsure:

Coalmine

Country flag

What is the trishul missile?

natarajan

I will monitor this thread and see if the nation is above politics for some dfi members :notsure:
There is nothing politics except that kalam sir was replaced by pratiba by sickular congress ,other than that members dont have anything negative here

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod

Narasimha Rao had asked Kalam to be ready for nuclear test

NEW DELHI: Just two days before announcement of results of the 1996 general election, then prime minister P V Narasimha Rao had directed A P J Abdul Kalam, scientific adviser to the defence minister at the time, to keep his team ready for a nuclear test.

However, with the poll outcome throwing up a change in government, Rao ensured his impending successor Atal Behari Vajpaee was briefed in his presence on the nuke test plans and so enabled a smooth takeover of the nuclear programme.

This was revealed by Kalam himself while delivering the 7th R N Kao Memorial Lecture, organized by the Research and Analyses wing of the Cabinet Secretariat, here on Thursday. "I still remember a scene during May 1996. It was 9 'o' clock. I got a call ....that I should meet Prime Minister P V Narasimha Rao immediately," Kalam said.

According to the father of India's missile programme, who later went on to become the President of India, Rao told him, "Kalam, be ready with the department of atomic energy and your team for the N-test and I am going to Tirupati. You wait for my authorization to go ahead with the test. DRDO-DAE teams must be ready for action".

Recounting Rao's plans were not meant to be as "the election result was quite different from what he anticipated", Kalam said he received yet another call from the then PM asking him to meet him along with Prime Minister-designate Vajpayee. This was "so that the smooth takeover of such a very important programme can take place," he elaborated.

However, the nuke test plans could not be carried out as the Vajpayee government lasted barely 13 days.

Noting that Rao's act of ensuring continuity of the nuclear programme "reveals the maturity and professional excellence of a patriotic statesman who believed that the nation is bigger than the political system," Kalam revealed that the first task he was assigned after Vajpayee embarked on his second stint as the PM in 1998 was to conduct the nuclear test at the earliest.

The Pokhran tests were finally carried out in May, 1998.

Placing the focus of his lecture on cyber terrorism and counter measures, Kalam on Thursday suggested an empowered coordinating agency be set up to receive information about all cyber attacks. Apart from calling for continuous upgrade of technical capabilities by the intelligence agencies, the former President insisted that hacking skills be imparted by scientists, computer software and hardware experts, on the lines of China where virus writing is taught in its military schools.

Kalam suggested human intelligence and electronic intelligence be used as a tool to penetrate terrorist groups, besides building offensive and defensive cyber capabilities on the lines of nuclear capabilities. "Technology-driven covert operations are becoming the order of the day and inflicting collateral damages through critical information infrastructure is threatening to change the conventional wisdom in warfare," he said and sought crippling of the ability of terrorists to use technology for communication.

Kalam also recommended creation of an intelligence cadre, like the Indian Intelligence Service, by recruiting specifically for intelligence agencies. All these recruits, he said, must be made to pass a strict personality test based on evolved and dynamic physiological and psychological aptitude tests.

Narasimha Rao had asked Kalam to be ready for nuclear test - The Times of India

Phenom

Kudos to PVN he is the best PM India ever had.
In his 5 year term, he not only managed to save the country from bankruptcy but also laid the foundation for making it strong. And he did all this, with most of his own party plotting against him.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

Kalam also recommended creation of an intelligence cadre, like the Indian Intelligence Service, by recruiting specifically for intelligence agencies. All these recruits, he said, must be made to pass a strict personality test based on evolved and dynamic physiological and psychological aptitude tests.

Narasimha Rao had asked Kalam to be ready for nuclear test - The Times of India
......................................................................................:thumb:

anoop_mig25

Country flag

ok ONE question i didn`t get why all such things were done i mean launching of trishul missiles and agnis and etc . plz clarify my all doubts

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

ok ONE question i didn`t get why all such things were done i mean launching of trishul missiles and agnis and etc . plz clarify my all doubts
well that time Pakistan had just tested a missile, so US was expecting the obvious from us, but we had other plans, so what DRDO did they moved all the equipment in the test range in Orissa.

It was more of mis direction in effort to keep the US looking at their predicted area. At Pokharan all the things moved at the night. Just before the test they had to show that test of missile is about to take place to keep them interested in Orissa test site.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles