Missile designer

Discussion in 'Strategic Forces' started by sayareakd, Jan 22, 2013.

1. sayareakd

sayareakd Moderator Moderator

Missile designer

Missile designer

3. vram

vram Regular Member

excellent article gives you a bit of a realistic insight on how DRDO and DRDL function...it also restates that the wieght of ASTRA came down from 300 to around 170.LOL! so once in a blue moon our stupid defence jurnails do get it right..:D

4. sukhish

sukhish Senior Member Senior Member

this is going to be a cutting edge, even U.S has not mastered this technology. if we can do it, it would be great.

5. Bheeshma

Bheeshma Regular Member

When the hell was astra 300 kg? It was always mentioned at 150-160kg.

6. finally some good news on hdstv.also i think drdo should start planning for phase 3 of our bmd programme for shooting down icbm targets with range greater than 10000km.also what i don;t understand is why can't aad and ad1 which are endo atmospheric interceptors be used to should down cruise missiles,uav,aircrafts-is the long range swordfish radar incapable of tracking these targets?

7. average american

average american Senior Member Senior Member

I may not understand missiles, they have their uses, but as I understand it at best they carry 2000 lb warhead,, most have 1000 lb warheads. ,,A 1000 pound bomb will leave a crater about 20-30 foot (depending totally on ground type and fusing) I would expect a 1000 pound bomb to exert around 7-8 psi past 100 foot which would total demolish a typical house and probably about 3 psi out to around 150 foot which is enough to break up light construction. Fragmentation could be lethal well past 1/2 a mile although you would not expect to see many kills that far out

I am not sure missiles with conventional war heads are cost effective. Countries that have limited military power seem to love them.

BLU-82 15,000 lb 'daisy cutter' bomb will only destroy everything inside a 600 yard radius

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  8. LETHALFORCE

LETHALFORCE Moderator Moderator

Hypersonic technology is very, very complex. We have done a lot of tests on the ground. We are planning to have the first test [of the HSTDV] by the middle of 2013,” said A.K. Chakrabarti, Director, DRDL. The HSTDV will employ a propulsion system called scramjet (supersonic combustion ramjet) and use hydrogen as fuel.

Interesting I always thought HSDTV would use oxygen as fuel being a scramjet?

9. sayareakd

sayareakd Moderator Moderator

new Astra
    [​IMG]

Old astra

[​IMG]

10. sasi

sasi Senior Member Senior Member

I think they are telling, hydrogen will be in the tank and collecting oxygen from air.
    ~
    Last time they said kerosene instead of hydrogen!