Mirage upgrade: To be completed within 10 years

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
If the deal costs less than 10,000 crore, where do you get $2.5 billion? Somebody screwed the math. A crore equals $216,000. Come on guys, you should know your conversion rate to dollars!

Agantrope

Why there is a cry over this deal i dont know.

We already pleased americans by P-8I and Hercules then M777

MiG got prder for 29 29K and a possible follow up of 16-20

Now French are getting this one.

I can smell that EF is leading the race

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
This deal has scam written all over it i wonder why none of the major media networks have not got this on their radar yet.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
This deal has scam written all over it i wonder why none of the major media networks have not got this on their radar yet.
Because they know once you include the cost of the missiles, it isn't a scam.

Quickgun Murugan

Hmmm... I can smell a Rafale MMRCA victory here. Mirage upgrades were one of the major reasons why IAF had to look beyond france for MMRCA. But, anyway, Mirages are loved in IAF and they don't want to part with it apparently.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
This is interesting, is this the system we may be acquiring as the MICA?
VL MICA RECORDS DIRECT HIT IN TEST FIRING

On 22nd February 2005, MBDA’s Vertical Launch (VL) MICA air defence system was put to the test with the firing of a production series MICA missile fitted with an infrared seeker against a small drone flying at low altitude. The test was a complete success with the target destroyed by a direct hit at a range of around 10 kilometers.

The successful test took place at 13.00 p.m. (local time), in front of an evaluation team from the Indian Air Force as well as Indian Army officers at the Centre d’Essais de Lancement de Missiles (CELM) missile test centre near Biscarosse on the South West coast of France. MBDA, together with its Indian industrial partner Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL), is offering the VL MICA system as the solution to the Indian Air Force’s expressed requirement for a Low Level Quick Reaction Missile (LLQRM) air defence system.

For the test, MICA was vertically launched in a non-line-of-sight firing from a multi-missile launcher mounted on an ACMAT multi-role vehicle in service with the French Armed Forces. The missile, which is exactly the same as that already in service with several customers in the air-to-air combat theatre, acquired and locked onto the target after launch.

Commenting on the test firing, Marwan Lahoud MBDA’s Chief Executive Officer said: “The test result was totally expected as both the VL MICA land and naval systems feature the proven and in-service MICA missile. However, we are delighted that together with our Indian partners BDL, we were able to show how well suited VL MICA is to the imme
diate and long term requirements of the Indian armed forces and to reinforce MBDA’s status as a clear leader in air defence systems.”

The concept and technologies for the vertical launch of the MICA missile have been validated throughout the development of the missile including a dedicated test as a vertical launch system in December 2001 at the same test site. Since then, several other countries including the French government procurement agency DGA (Délégation Générale pour l'Armement) have expressed a great deal of interest in both the land and naval variants of the VL MICA system.

Notes to editors

VL MICA has been developed to provide a highly effective, rapid reaction, all-weather ground or naval based air defence against the widest range of threats. For use in the most severe electronic or IR countermeasure environments, VL MICA has an interception range in excess of 15 km against the whole range of targets, and an altitude range of up to 10,000 metres.

The Low Level Quick Reaction (LLQRM) VL MICA system uses the same MICA missile as that launched by the in-service air-to-air system and incorporates either an active radar homing head or infrared imaging to ensure autonomous terminal guidance after launch. The missile features a thrust vector control system which permits vertical launch, a very short reaction time and a high firing rate (less than two seconds between firings) to simultaneously engage multiple targets and provide 360° defence coverage without a costly dedicated tracking and guidance suite. VL MICA ground and naval systems employ exactly the same missile.

Land Based - VL MICA comprises a Tactical Operation Centre (TOC), a Sensor and Identification Unit (SIU - radar) and several launchers (typically four) mounted on vehicles and interconnected via optical fibre (TOC – radar) and VHF (TOC – launchers). This structure makes it easy to deploy, easy to integrate in global air defence and gives the system a high level of survivability.

All the elements of
land-based VL MICA can be mounted on standard high mobility vehicles.

The MICA missile is in series production with about 400 missiles being produced annually.

MBDA and Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL) have established a very significant and solid partnership over a period of several years. At the recent AERO INDIA exhibition in Bangalore, MBDA and BDL signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to establish the industrial basis for the development and production of Indan / Milan ER, an enhanced anti-tank infantry weapon for the Indian and French armies as well as the wider export market. The MoU will result in the setting up of a joint-venture in the latter half of 2005 with the likelihood that this will lead to collaboration on the Mica /Aster family of missiles.

BDL is a Government of India enterprise headquartered in Hyderabad, India.

With an annual turnover exceeding € 3 billion, a forward order book of over €13 billion and over 70 customers world wide, MBDA is a world leading, global missile systems company. MBDA currently has 45 missile system and countermeasure programmes in operational service and has proven its ability as prime contractor to head major multi-national projects.

MBDA is jointly owned by BAE SYSTEMS (37.5%), EADS (37.5%) and FINMECCANICA (25%).

VL MICA LAUNCHER CHARACTERISTICS

The new vertical launch container produced for the VL MICA represents a key achievement in this surface-to-air defence system programme. In order to provide a modular and flexible installation on corvettes or light frigates size ships, MBDA has selected a single missile launch container having its own integrated exhaust gases management.

The concept for the VL MICA container takes advantage of many new technologies. The container is an assembly of vacuum-soldered rectangular sections made of shaped aluminium alloy.

The MICA missile and its container constitute the "VL MICA munition". The total weight of the system is less than 400kg, inclu
ding the missile which has a mass of 112 kg.
http://www.mbda-systems.com/mbda/site/ref/scripts/newsFO_complet.php?lang=EN&news_id=136

Agantrope

@BR as per wiki source, MICA is offered as a package in Mirage upgrade :). Also to get armed with ASRAAM

Last edited:

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Better order a squadron of Rafael instead of flushing $ 2.5 billion just for upgrading jets who will not serve more than 15 years from now.........Just wait and see how CAG hits this project. They will never allow IAF to go to France when Isreal is offering equivalent package for price as low as just half of french offer...... BTW it will be interesting to see how PAF will manage money for buying a complete avionics package plus engine for its projected fleet of 250 bunders.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Better order a squadron of Rafael instead of flushing $ 2.5 billion just for upgrading jets who will not serve more than 15 years from now.........Just wait and see how CAG hits this project. They will never allow IAF to go to France when Isreal is offering equivalent package for price as low as just half of french offer...... BTW it will be interesting to see how PAF will manage money for buying a complete avionics package plus engine for its projected fleet of 250 bunders.
So much wrong with that post.

Its Rafale, not Rafael.

10,000 crores is $2.165 billion, not $2.5 billion.

CAG only audits and makes recommendations.

Israel doesn't offer an equivalent package which is why it wasn't considered.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Why there is a cry over this deal i dont know.

We already pleased americans by P-8I and Hercules then M777

MiG got prder for 29 29K and a possible follow up of 16-20

Now French are getting this one.

I can smell that EF is leading the race
The EU is neutral in world affairs. So buying Typhoons has no strategic baggage. India wants to use MMRCA to probably make new friends, or strengthen existing ones.

JayChennai

Its not about the package. I am sure israel can offer something good at cheaper than france. But i doubt france will allow them to even touch it. They dont see themself getting the MMRCA deal. What surprises me is the time frame. Two years for the first bird to get upgraded seems a lot time

JayChennai

We are getting 39 more Mig 29's. This MMRCA deal is not just about making new friends or strengthen existing ones. Its about developing countries defence industry. This is one big chance for us to develop lots of local industries which will help us in the long run in achieving our goal of self reliance. I dont think we will ever get this kind of chance again.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
So much wrong with that post.

Its Rafale, not Rafael.

10,000 crores is $2.165 billion, not $2.5 billion.
There is one report which even says the total price brought down to $1.8 billion. Whom i should believe? I only used the higher limit.
CAG only audits and makes recommendations.
and makes MoF to reject MoDs demand, forcing IAF to go for fresh tender.

Israel doesn't offer an equivalent package which is why it wasn't considered.
Source please.....My reading suggest that its the political push from Paris which will make Thales+ Sagem earn bucks.

BTW $2.1 billion just too much for just another 15 years(at best) even if it is a comprehensive upgrade package( without engine...hehe). It will be much better for IAF to buy a squadron of Mig-29K or Rafale(i'm correct this time, no?), if pleasing France is the secondary aim.

Last edited:

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
India, France to ink Rs 10,000cr deal for Mirage upgrade

BY : TOI
India and France are now finally close to inking the around Rs 10,000 crore project to upgrade the Mirage-2000 fighter jets in the IAF combat fleet after protracted negotiations. The first four to six IAF Mirages will be upgraded in France, while the rest 50 will equipped with new avionics, weapon and sensor suites to enhance their combat edge by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd in India under transfer of technology in the project.
“It (the project finalization) should happen shortly,” IAF chief Air Chief Marshal P V Naik told TOI. This will be the second such big programme with the upgrade of 63 MiG-29s already under way under a $964 million contract inked with Russia in March 2008.
It will also be the second big defence deal to be inked with France after the ongoing Rs 18,798 crore project to construct six Scorpene submarines at Mazagon Docks, which incidentally is running two years behind schedule amid huge cost escalation. “The scope of Mirage upgrade will be much larger than the MiG-29 one…it will be more high-end. It will cost half of the fighter’s worth. After the upgrade, the Mirages will serve us for another 15-20 years,” said another officer.
The multi-role fighters will be ‘souped-up’ with new avionics, radars, mission computers, glass cockpits, helmet-mounted displays, electronic warfare suites, jam-proof communication with data links, weapon delivery and precision-targeting systems, including the all-weather, fire-and-forget MICA (interception and aerial combat missiles) systems.
“A French team will be coming again in early-March to finalise the details. The CNC (contract negotiation committee) should conclude in another two months. The Cabinet Committee on Security’s approval will then be sought,” he added. The inking of the deal could be well be timed with French President Nicolas Sarkozy’s proposed visit to India later in the year.

http://idrw.org/?p=687#more-687

mayfair

If we are ready to cough up ~$45 million for the upgrade, would it not be feasible to explore the possibility of acquiring second hand Mirage 2000-5 from some of the operators around the world. I recall we attempted to do something similar after the Kargil war, but were put off by the prices. I reckon the cost of buying some of them and having them beefed up would not be very off from the upgrade prices for our own Mirage-2000s. This way we can augment our Mirage fleet while waiting for MRCA induction to be accomplished.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles