Mindset: Dilemma of a liberal Hindu

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by aeroblogger, Jul 3, 2012.

1. aeroblogger

aeroblogger Regular Member

An old article, but one which hasn't been discussed (I searched). I ran across it today, and found it interesting...
    Mind set: Dilemma of a liberal Hindu - The Times of India

afako, Galaxy, parijataka and 7 others like this.
  3. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

Something I have learnt over a period of time, be what you want to be, not what others, be those your family or friends or society at large, want you to be. If they change their perceptions based on what you like, it just shows how hollow a relationship it anyways was.

So if someone likes the religious beliefs, stick to them, no matter what the other has to say, like wise if you don’t believe, be comfortable with it and not change it because of what the others will say.

Others make zilch difference to your life. You will live a far peaceful, and a happy life by being what you really believe in than by fulfilling what others want you to be.

Added later:

The dilemma isn't about a Hindu liberal per se, the dilemma is about getting an approval. Once we get the approval on just about anything, we will be relieved, or happy or whatever, but the question arises, what if someone approves of one thing but the other doesn't, then what do we do? Make the change again to get the approval from the other? More than the Hindu liberal dilemma, the question that bothers us the most is, what will the others say? Really, are the others who make little to no impact in our lives, that important? We need to think this out.

4. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Very funny this. Just for reminded that just day before one member was called an Islamist and another a Khalistani by one member.

Let me talk about my school days. I went to a christian school and a very famous one. We had a Multi cultural crowd. Christians, Muslims, Hindus and in them Gujartis, Marwaris, Sindhis and from many regions. I mean all my friends were non muslims. We just had a reunion and I met up with them.

Never ever during my school days was there any religious talks. We ate from each others lunch boxes. Never felt uncomfortable with each other.

I have seen that today's kids have probably become more conscious. Woh Hindu hai, yeh Muslim hai etc. I think it started post Babri and may be because of the kind of politics played after that and also lot of Internet propaganda.ay be some parents tell their kids beta woh Muslim hai, usse door rehna. Beta woh Hindu hai, uske saath mat bethna etc.

The person is right when he says people are afraid to follow their ideology or faith because they fear of being branded. I mean if I was to go on a public transport with a Quran in my hand and read it while seated, people will probably think I am an Islamist and a terrorist who is reading the Quran before blowing up the bus.

The true secular ethos of the country has been shaken. Actually today some people are probably afraid of being called a secular even. Well they are called sickular, apologists etc.

It all started because of the kind of politics played and the opportunistic policies followed.

hit&run, Oracle and Nagraj like this.
  5. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

I think the dilemma is being typecast and ridiculed.

6. panduranghari

panduranghari Senior Member Senior Member

They have not been shaken. They have been subverted by a political party who wishes to treat the belief of the natives as some sort of shit that can be trampled on. My parents never told me about religion at all. All my opinions were formed later after studying the news regularly.

The politics and the opportunistic policies have started changing the fabric of the nation. And this will only get worse. That is without a doubt.

Do I care? yes and no.

P.S. There are posters on here who are Khalistani supporters. You know who they are.

parijataka, amitkriit, Nagraj and 2 others like this.
  7. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

I understand that any member who opposes RSS is a jihadi,khalistani,sickular,west funded xtian missionary,terrorist etc. I would suggest you refrain from name calling even if somebody prods you.

And P we all also know folks who have done nothing for this nation, yet think they are the thekedars just because of their religion. They are a menace to the society because of their extremist and divisive ideology. Fortunately their numbers on this forum are inversely proportional to their actual numbers.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  8. balai_c

balai_c Regular Member

If you want to read Mahabharata , then jolly well read it man! Why care for other´s opinion? Is this person seeking other´s approval? A pat in the back? This is not the character of a true scholar. If you truly seek wisdom, or knowledge, then keep on your pursuit, regardless of people´s opinion. Every great philosopher of modern India have been jeered at, ridiculed during their lifetime. This is the country we live in. Deal with it. There is a great song written by kabiguru Rabindranath Tagore , it goes ¨Jodi tor Daak shune keu naa aashe, tobe Ekla cholo re¨ , raugh translation: If no one responds to your call, your spirited cry, then you must keep going alone. We all have our pursuits,our calling in life,our swadharma. It is our journey, no one can accompany in this perilous voyage. If the author of the article is indeed faithful to his swadharma, then he will keep on embarking in his voyage. That is all we can hope for.

Ray, Singh, Galaxy and 2 others like this.
  9. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Who are they, can you enlighten me?

10. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

That was a very very very simplistic explanation for a very complex mindset that is rooted in history of centuries.

No, I am not a revisionist who thinks everything was hunky-dory pappi-jhappi till 'bloody politics' intervened.

Nagraj, maomao and Mad Indian like this.
  11. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

Sir,

Typecast, yes, ridiculed, I am certain how, but I don't think so. Mr Gurcharan Das could have a dilemma about just anything but this must have been one of those things which hit him the hardest and something he feels comfortable discussing about publically. More than anything else, the dilemma remains about our insecurities. If we can get over our insecurities, dilemmas would fade away.

I’ll take an example here, which I read yesterday. There was this article posted yesterday on what people are made to carry on long distance travels. What struck me the most was the dilemma, or insecurity, of the author, Mz Alaka Basu, what will people say, or I am not this and that if I don’t carry what the other has requested her to and so she eventually carried all the stuff. I say this because at the time of picking up the stuff, she had the option of saying a yes or a no and absolutely no one ever forced her to pick up those extra kilos, it was her decision to make and she said a yes herself each time, but here she is in a lot of pain describing the whole thing.

The rule ought to be simple. If it’s a yes, do it whole heartedly and enjoy doing it, than get hassled and crib and if by chance the answer is a no, don’t bother about what the others will perceive. It is how easily we can complicate or uncomplicated our lives, it was always our choice, our decision to make.

Ray, panduranghari and Oracle like this.
  12. KS

RSS has nothing to do with it. If anybody supports or rationalizes the Khalistani militant phase, then he is a Khalistani. Isn't it simple ?

Galaxy, parijataka, amitkriit and 2 others like this.
  13. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

In this country, with our version of secularism, I feel comfortable and proud and nationalistic to be called a Saffron terrorist, RSS terrorist/RSS activist than a secular person :notsure:

I have seen enough damage done to this nation by the Secular apologists

panduranghari, amitkriit and Nagraj like this.
  14. Yusuf

What has transpired in the last 20 years makes me feel so. Yes, we have had partition, again related to politics of the time. Yes we have had riots and clashes of all kinds because of the vast diversity in the country. But what we have seen in the last 20 years and especially the last 8-10 years is frightening.

Singh likes this.
  15. Nagraj

Nagraj Regular Member

Q1. What could be done to improve the situation?
    Q2. What will make the situation worse?

16. Oracle

Oracle New Member

What is your point? Please explain. And who or what is a Secular Apologist?

17. Mad Indian

Yeah well all the bottled up anger is bound to come out some time. The question is what is the reason for that?

18. Yusuf

And those who rationalize riots? Those who call for rise of extremists based on religion?

19. KS

BTW I dont even agree with the name used to describe the self-hating marxists as "secularists". They are not secularists. Coz they would be at the forefront sucking upto Islamists and xtian misionaries and their hate,contempt is reserved only for the Hindus.

So in reality the ordinary Hindu is caught between the appeal of the Hindu extreme nationalists and the self-hating marxists and his evergreen 'need' and desire to be accepted by all and accomodate all schools of thought even if they are 180 degree opposite to each other and are incomparible with each other. The resulting thing is the 'confusion', the author is talking about and the "liberal HIndu" actually forgetting who he is , by himself, absent the external factors.

A chauhan and Mad Indian like this.
  20. KS

You can call me a pragmatist. I don't pretend to be a 'fake' secularist or an idealist when I'm not --

21. Mad Indian

I think the point was self explanatory but any way. If being secular has to mean that I have to tolerate shit on the Majorities , then I think I am more comfortable with being the Communal Saffron terrorist. Its been a long time since my dad made me drop my apologist attitude of being a Hindu, which I got from the mainstream media. I am a Hindu by identity, and yes I am a communal RSS activist/saffron terrorist or the famous term Internet Hindu for that matter, than a secular apologist.