Military Cross for the 'bomb magnet' soldier blown up 17 times

Sea Eagle

Military Cross for the 'bomb magnet' soldier blown up 17 times

A soldier who has been involved in 17 bomb attacks by insurgents has been awarded the Military Cross for helping co-ordinate the response to the most recent one - even as he lay wounded

He is either the unluckiest man in the Army, or the luckiest. Warrant Officer Class 1 Patrick Hyde has been blown up 17 times by insurgents − but has escaped serious injury on each occasion.
The soldier, who has been nicknamed "bomb magnet", has been awarded the Military Cross for his actions after the latest attack, when he helped to coordinate the evacuation of injured soldiers, as well as a senior Afghan general and his men, as he lay wounded on the ground.
tour.
Of his repeated encounters with IEDs, WO1 Hyde, who has a son, Henry, 8, and a daughter, Evie, 5, and has been in the Army for 21 years, said: "I'm lucky, I suppose. Most either end up dead or with bits missing. This [last one] was certainly as close as I want to get.
"I don't like driving a desk. I want to be a soldier. I am slightly attuned. I know what to look for. But I might get run over, or fall down stairs. I reckon I will die in a really stupid way."

Military Cross for the 'bomb magnet' soldier blown up 17 times - Telegraph

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles