MiG 21s to be phased out from 2014

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
Here's the MKI Cockpit:
(click to enlarge)
Thanks for the help UchihaCG . Earlier I was confused about the avionics of su-30 mki and hence was not able to figure out its cockpit. thanks again.

ZOOM

Founding Member
Mig-21 phasing out marks important phase in the operational and joint training structure of IAF, as it marks improved focus towards Logistics and Maintenance wings. Keeping such a vintage jets has always been a nightmare for IAF as it is always hampering its operational readiness. IAF has long been utilizied its jets beyond is maximum service life and this is true in case of many of other jets and transport fleet in IAF's armory. Keeping in view Mig-21 phase out plan, IAF should immediately initiate phasing out procedure of its transport fleet as well especially its late model AN-32, IL-78 and MI-8 rotary wing comprising fleet. It would be highly prudent to undertaking this measures to keep IAF in a best possible shape to respond to an uninvited threat through maintaining round the clock war fighting capability.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
ZOOM said:
IAF should immediately initiate phasing out procedure of its transport fleet as well especially its late model AN-32, IL-78 and MI-8 rotary wing comprising fleet.
Phase out the An-32?? India just signed $1 billion contract with Antonov to upgrade them. They just bought the Il-78s. Mi-8s are being replaced with Mi-17s.

ZOOM

Founding Member
Phase out the An-32?? India just signed $1 billion contract with Antonov to upgrade them. They just bought the Il-78s. Mi-8s are being replaced with Mi-17s.
Please re-read my post correctly, I said late model which are in abudance as far as AN-32 and IL-76 is concerned, and hence there is no need to bring IL-78 which are usually configured for Aerial Refulling. IAF has somehow created a world record of operating a particuler transport aircraft beyond their expiry date. And hence I said, IAF should initiate a procedure, which doesn't mean anyway to start phasing out late models by tommorrow itself, rather shaping up a budget, manpower, training, administrative prodcedure, specifications of aircraft in order to put late model retirement and entering of new model exactly on schedule.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Please re-read my post correctly, I said late model which are in abudance as far as AN-32 and IL-76 is concerned, and hence there is no need to bring IL-78 which are usually configured for Aerial Refulling. IAF has somehow created a world record of operating a particuler transport aircraft beyond their expiry date. And hence I said, IAF should initiate a procedure, which doesn't mean anyway to start phasing out late models by tommorrow itself, rather shaping up a budget, manpower, training, administrative prodcedure, specifications of aircraft in order to put late model retirement and entering of new model exactly on schedule.
I read what you said correctly, phasing out late model aircraft that are either new or recieving extensive restoration doesn't make sense for transports. Let me remind you that it was said "IAF should immediately initiate phasing out." That doesn't mean in 5 years, that means now. Check the meaning of immediate if you forgot.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
this is probably one area where antony has unfortunately failed - and how - these flying coffins - how many precious valuable, expensive , dear lives were lost - no admission, no enquiry, just a refusal to entertain the topic - and 40 years to finally get rid of them - talk about mismanagement - goto- MBA at any IIM !!

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Unfortunately, we are losing jets faster in terms of inductions or crashes than we are replacing them. Right now, the entire IAF is dependent on the 150+ MKIs we have. Other than that and Mirages + MiG-29s, rest entire IAF is simply in storage vaults. No Tejas, no MRCAs till now entered.

SHASH2K2

MiG-21s to be phased out; Su-30MKIs, LCAs to replace it

MiG-21s to be phased out; Su-30MKIs, LCAs to replace it - The Times of India

MiG-21s to be phased out; Su-30MKIs, LCAs to replace it MiG-21s, which have been in news for frequent crashes, will be phased out of the Indian Air Force by 2017 and replaced by modern fighter aircraft such as Su-30MKI and indigenous LCA. "The MiG 21s will get phased out by 2015-16. I think the last of the squadrons of the aircraft will be phased out by 2017," said Minister of State for Defence M M Pallam Raju in New Delhi. Over the years, the IAF has inducted a total of 946 MiG 21s in its fleet and 476 of them have been lost in various accidents over the past 45 years. In a recent report, the ministry acknowledged that most of these accidents had occurred due to old technology. The minister said the MiG 21s "constitute the majority of our squadrons and they will gradually be replaced by the Light Combat Aircraft (LCAs) and the Su-30MKI." Raju said after the phasing out of the "MiG 21s from operational service, the IAF will have the LCA, SU-30MKI, Medium Multirole Combat Aircraft and the Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA), which is being developed with Russia."

pankaj nema

Country flag
Even the LCA mk1 is FAR FAR better than Mig 21 and the Mig 27

The LCA mk1 must be fully operationalised as soon as possible

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Air Chief called the Tejas as Mig-21++ and if each + was half a generation or 0.5 then the Mig being an 3rd gen aircraft if you add ++ it means its 4th generation. Actually a lot of people read into his comments negatively even when + means Positive!! :confused:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
"The MiG 21s will get phased out by 2015-16. I think the last of the squadrons of the aircraft will be phased out by 2017," said Minister of State for Defence M M Pallam Raju in New Delhi.
Then what will replace the short fall in the Squadron strength?

The MMRCA will begin production in 2014 and we may have 15 MMRCA by then and Tejas at the current rate we will have 20, Su-30s may have reached 200. So what is going to replace the 200 Mig-21 and 100 Mig-27s by that time, i dont see anything filling 300 airframes by then!!

Last edited:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Now they say this after getting a dozen precious pilots dead!!? Come on already!

SHASH2K2

The MMRCA will begin production in 2014 and we may have 15 MMRCA by then and Tejas at the current rate we will have 20, Su-30s may have reached 200. So what is going to replace the 200 Mig-21 and 100 Mig-27s by that time, i dont see anything filling 300 airframes by then!!
Only option I see is that they may buy few MRCA planes off the shelf and later on upgrade them to IAF specification. ALso they need to increase production rate of Su30 MKI and LCA MK1 as well. If not we are seriously screwed by this lack of foresightedness.

JBH22

We might get some of Alladin flying carpet to deal with our enemies :)
Useless and pathetic guys who do planning in this country and also this defence minister looks more like a drunkard when he speaks (keshto mukherjee character)

p2prada

It's 120 Bisons and 100 Mig-27s. The 80 odd Mig-21s left will be phased out this year and the next.

Nothing will replace the lost aircraft until 2022. That's why the IAF is busy upgrading older jets and quickly buying new ones like MRCA. ADA's promises of LCA delivery by 2006 obviously never materialized. LCA delay was the only reason for why the Mig-21s were never replaced. IAF had been asking for 126 Mirage-2000s since 1999, GoI never allowed it because they were hinging on ADA to deliver by 2006. 2004, GoI allowed IAF to launch MRCA tender after Kaveri failed. In 2007 GoI unilaterally upped the ante by allowing Boeing in the competition.

The Bisons were to be replaced starting this years back in 2000. Obviously things don't always go according to plan.

arya

Country flag
It's 120 Bisons and 100 Mig-27s. The 80 odd Mig-21s left will be phased out this year and the next.

Nothing will replace the lost aircraft until 2022. That's why the IAF is busy upgrading older jets and quickly buying new ones like MRCA. ADA's promises of LCA delivery by 2006 obviously never materialized. LCA delay was the only reason for why the Mig-21s were never replaced. IAF had been asking for 126 Mirage-2000s since 1999, GoI never allowed it because they were hinging on ADA to deliver by 2006. 2004, GoI allowed IAF to launch MRCA tender after Kaveri failed. In 2007 GoI unilaterally upped the ante by allowing Boeing in the competition.

The Bisons were to be replaced starting this years back in 2000. Obviously things don't always go according to plan.
MMRCA God know how much time they will take . cant we buy 60+ su35 from russia

dont you think su35 will be more effective and provide more power .

dont you think we need more numbers

Zebra

Country flag
I think IAF have to go for all new may be 200 more a/cs .
Do not think they will go for another a/c from Russia .

Only LM , Boeing and SAAB left . bcz low fly away price and fast delivery .

100 F 16 IN and 100 NG
100 F 16 IN and 100 SH
100 SH and 100 NG
All A/Cs will get assembelled in US or Sweden .

Two different a/cs , so that can get fast delivery .

:hail:

Last edited:

Zebra

Country flag
Logistics will be nightmare ?

On other hand IAF do not have enough aircrafts to fight with enemies .

Batter let IAF have some ( decent ) quantity of fighter aircrafts first . Will talk about others things after .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles