Middle class eats expensive ice cream, cribs about price rise: Chidambaram

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Parthy, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Parthy

Parthy Air Warrior Senior Member

AMAZING HOME MINISTER :mad::mad:

BJP on Tuesday lashed out at home minister P Chidambaram for his remarks that the middle class is ready to pay for mineral water and ice cream but can't bear an increase of Re 1 in price of wheat and rice, saying he has shown insensitivity towards them and ridiculed them.

"It seems that Mr Chidambaram has inappropriately made a scandalous remark against the middle class and is ridiculing them. BJP would treat this remark as a complete hate statement reflecting the inner contradictions of the government itself," BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy said.

He claimed that while the government has failed to deliver and rein in prices, control inflation or find a way out of the economic mess, the home minister has chosen to "torment the hapless common man".

Rudy termed Chidambaram's statement as bizarre. "This stinks of complete insensitivity and BJP completely deplores the words of Mr Chidambaram. But at the same time nothing better is expected from this government and its ministers," he said.

Another BJP spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain said Chidambaram does not understand the pain of the common man as he is confined to "air-conditioned rooms and flying in planes". "Chidambaram and the Congress are far removed from the common man. His comments are a joke on the people in a country where 50-60 crore live below the poverty line," he said.

Condemning the statement, Hussain demanded that Chidambaram tender an apology.

Middle class eats expensive ice cream, cribs about price rise: Chidambaram - The Times of India

Galaxy, A chauhan and maomao like this.
  3. maomao

maomao Veteran Hunter of Maleecha Senior Member

This bastards corrupt man from the most corrupt party in the world eats all the money of the poor and still is in office! He does not even pay his electricity, mobile and petrol etc bills, still cribs about middle class which pays its taxes!

parijataka likes this.
  4. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

500 Million Indians are living under 1$ per day and this kind of statement ? Price rise is not going to effect him as he is filthy rich. This kind of statement is like throwing salt on wounds.

5. p2prada

p2prada Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

How stupid!! Middle class is 300-400Million strong. Did he forget our population is 1.2Billion?

6. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

As long as that Rs. 1 price rice in the price of wheat, rice, and other grains, eventually goes back to the farmers, I think middle class should be a good sport about it.

Most farmers, if I am not mistaken, are poor, and they could sure use some extra income.

7. maomao

Which world are you living in? It's the middlemen and retailers who bag all the profits. Middlemen are usual political mafia, the poor farmer gets nothing besides empty promises by the corrupt GoI and suicides!

Everybody wants farmers to become economically sound, however with the type of distribution system which is in place for past 60 yrs; I think all this increase in prices and taxes - is a ploy to fund further loot by the GOI and its able ministers, who have already emptied the treasury, and the need more dope!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  8. pmaitra

I agree, much of the money does not eventually reach the farmers.

However, there is another side to this story.

There is a government scheme to purchase grains at market prices directly from farmers. Not all farmers are covered, but many are. Not sure whether that is majority or minority. In the case of government purchased grain, unless the end customer is willing to pay a higher price, the government cannot afford to pay the farmers a higher price. This is important, because of inflation. Now, if the government plans to go ahead with paying a higher price to the farmers, and the public does not agree with increase in grain prices, the government will somehow manage that extra money it pays to the farmers through taxes.

So there you go.

Now coming to middlemen, it has to be tackled carefully. They are part of the supply chain. We cannot cut them out altogether. We just need to make sure the money from the final customer reaches all the levels in the supply chain, and the farmers.

9. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

Why is PC commenting on finance matters. Is he angling for the job of the Finance Minister. Heaven help the country from people like him.

maomao likes this.
  10. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

Pm the msp is only for wheat and rice. In up and Maharashtra it is also for sugarcane.

11. maomao

Higher price for farmer is always welcome!

However, kindly let me know how many farmers get the MP (market price)? This sounds like fantasy!

There is msp for wheat and rice, but that does not stimulate poverty elevation,grains are bought at msp and allowed to rot in granaries so that MP goes up due to supply side contraction and middlemen make heavy profits. How does it help the poor farmers is beyond my understanding, probably you can shed some light on your assertion of GOI paying farmers the MP?

In most of the cases farmers don't even get msp leave the fictional MP, read below:

Farmers forced to sell wheat below minimum support price - Times Of India

parijataka and devgupt like this.
  12. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

I don't take mineral water or eat ice cream.

Prefer Acqua Guard and Sensodyne.

Must be fit for the NREGA.

But then no one listens!

Chidu.....HELP!

I am astounded how far from reality these freaks who claim to Ministers!

skumar7777 and maomao like this.
  13. addiction

addiction Regular Member

we drink mineral water because u don’t provide us water of that grade...we eat ice cream bcoz we are cursed to live in humid geography.....and on top of that we do all thse after getting our Salary - TDS..why the facking u r again charging us service charges, education cess, excise duties on stuff that we purchase and utility bills that we pay..it is supposed to be free of all taxes for us owing we are buying it from income for which we have already paid a tax as TDS?

I pay Services Taxes on Electricity and Telephone bill??? Why the heck I should Pay it when I am already paying enough for the utilities I am consuming? After all its my income remained after paying the tax…and these telecom and power companies also pay income tax..so what the hell is this…there are multiplication of taxations for a single entity like ME..a common man!!!!

Indian taxation system sucks~!!!

Twinblade, devgupt, Daredevil and 2 others like this.
  14. addiction

addiction Regular Member

Also, when I buy any service from any private company for which I am paying them......tell me, y the heck I being a consumer of that service, should pay service tax to govmt? It has to be, income tax that we both should pay if we fall in that slab?

Lagan on middle class?? !!! the only class which is being exploited soon after the independence?

15. pmaitra

As I said, I don't know how many farmers get to sell at MSP. Thanks for that link, I have seen it.

You are probably not getting my point. The point is, would you rather the government acquired the money required for paying the farmers at MSP from overall taxation, or would you prefer to have those that are buying the grains to pay that extra money?

This is one thing I have never understood.

Since salaried persons are already paying taxes on their salary, and belong that class of the workforce who do not cheat on income tax at all, why do they have to pay further taxes again? Forget about electricity and utilities, they should not be paying anything at all. They should simply pay the MRP. I suppose that is what the system has come to be.

16. Tronic

Tronic Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Psshhhh... Brigadier, you should have stuck with the tap water and daatan sticks, rather than squander your money on such amenities and than complain about the basics! :rolleyes:

You don't see him complaining:
    [​IMG]

:rolleyes:

17. maomao

MSP is a different issue bro! They don't even get that!

You said GOI is paying them MP (market price), that is not true!

GOI and its officials are doing this MSP scam with farmers for ages, I don't know know if your are confusing MSP with MP?

18. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

this man is a grade A idiot. When UPA I was formed he had boasted that he was not bothered by the Sensex and he had better things to worry about. The market had responded by tanking over 800 points. He was forced to eat crow and recant his statement.

To me he is a walking disaster, who has the habit of rubbing everybody the wrong way.

maomao and Raj30 like this.
  19. skumar7777

skumar7777 Regular Member

It need not be a question of either/or. You are assuming we are running a highly optimized operation and there is nothing further to be done except the either/or. Hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of tons of foodgrains procured by the government rots in the FCI godowns. An efficient operation, not even an optimized one, would reduce the price of foodgrains. India has one of the highest wastage numbers in agricultural commodities. This is not just a matter of incompetence but complicity by the powers that be.

We are in a time where basic needs and amenities like water, electricity and roads are being privatized for profit. Doubtless, the pressure of a growing population but also the greed of the few.

Actually, indirect taxes are a more efficient means of tax collection than direct taxes. Direct taxes leads to more avoidance and more searching for loop holes. However indirect taxes also have a problem of targetting - the poorest sections of society get taxed at the same rate.

maomao, sob and Raj30 like this.
  20. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Only a person like Chidambaram, who allegedly lost an election but fudged a victory as per the Court case, can be so insensitive and cavalier in his remarks since apparently he cares not much for the people who vote him in.

I presume that he thinks he is 'talking turkey' and presenting himself as a person 'tough as nails' so that he projects himself as a 'saviour' and 'God's gift to India' wherein he will be asked to step into the Finance Minister's shoe, vacated by Mukherjee.

And anyway, with the manner the Congress is floundering as the head of the UPA, it really has little choice and so we will only see 'old wine in a new bottle'.