Michelle Obama's Uncovered Head Draws Saudi Twitter Critique

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

First lady Michelle Obama faced backlash from Twitter users in Saudi Arabia on Tuesday for not wearing a head covering during her brief visit there with the president.

Obama wore loose-fitting clothes including a long blue jacket and dark pants while accompanying President Barack Obama during their four hours on the ground in Riyadh to offer condolences on the death of King Abdullah and for the president to meet with new King Salman.

On Twitter, Saudis used a hashtag that translates to "#Michelle_Obama_Immodest" or "#Michelle_Obama_NotVeiled" to chastise the first lady for being disrespectful to Saudi traditions.

Saudi Arabia has a strict dress code for women, who are instructed to wear black robes and head coverings at all times in public, though visitors to the country are not required to abide by
the dress code. In 2011, when then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton met with Abdullah in New York, she did not cover her face or hair. Nor did then-first lady Laura Bush during a 2006 visit with Abdullah in Saudi Arabia.

Some on Twitter noted that Obama had covered her hair during a visit to a mosque in Indonesia and wondered why she hadn't done the same, Egypt's Ahram Online noted, while one woman urged fellow Saudis not to "make Obama angry at us."

The first lady's office had no comment on her attire.

Read more: Michelle Obama's uncovered head draws Saudi Twitter critique - Kendall Breitman - POLITICO

Translation from the American First Lady: "Kiss my black American Ass!" :rofl:

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Then I presume, she should have worn a burkha and that would have been most appropriate.

You should see Saudi women in Europe. They act as liberated ravens from the cage.

The wine and dine and wear bikinis and what have you.

Check the story on the bin Laden family stories.

Osama bin Laden: the tale of a Saudi-born heir to a construction company who founded al-Qaeda
Sporting a pair of electric blue flares and a skinny-rib green jumper, Osama bin Laden looks the epitome of a normal teenager as he poses next to a pink Cadillac during a family trip to the town of Falun in Sweden.

Osama bin Laden (second from right) pictured in 1971 in Sweden

Last edited:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Translation from the American First Lady: "Kiss my black American Ass!" :rofl:
She looks like a man, so no need to cover head, I guess. :lol:

Also how come the sheiks (or whatever they are called) are wearing sunglasses, while Obamas aren't.

Also isn't it a western custom to wear black when mourning or something, how come mrs. obama isn't ?

anupamsurey

Country flag
is that a family?

i thought that whole town was posing with Osama.

Then I presume, she should have worn a burkha and that would have been most appropriate.

You should see Saudi women in Europe. They act as liberated ravens from the cage.

The wine and dine and wear bikinis and what have you.

Check the story on the bin Laden family stories.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Also how come the sheiks (or whatever they are called) are wearing sunglasses, while Obamas aren't.

Also isn't it a western custom to wear black when mourning or something, how come mrs. obama isn't ?
Because being flush with money, they have turned blind to realities of life.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
is that a family?

i thought that whole town was posing with Osama.
They are not beholden to China or the Pope.

China has the One Child draconian edict and the Pope has warned Catholics not be rabbits and have responsible parenting.

Islam does not encourage contraception.

Hence, a small town can be a family for Saudis.

anupamsurey

Country flag
if Saudi had guts they would have showered lashes on Mrs. Obama. but alas the situation is not so.
this should surely show the liberal west and even Mr. Obama, the hypocrisy of Middle east (except Israel).

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Too bad she gave the Saudis an erection. They are not used to see women in "lose clothing". As some of the members have said here, they adhere to all the religious restraints back home and become a westerner in foreign countries. Hypocrites.

Prometheus

the sheiks wear sunglasses, so that women can only guess where their eyes are staring..... each sheikh would be nervous being caught looking at the others wife LOL

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles