Mayawati bursts Modi's economic growth myth

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Gujarat is the flag-bearer of economic growth in recent years and Uttar Pradesh a laggard turns out to be a myth. Both the states have more or less matched the national average over the last five years.

http://toi.in/cCwNXa

Galaxy

Country flag
The growth in per capita income of BJP-ruled Uttarakhand has been the highest among poll-bound states at 91%, followed by Punjab (73%) and Manipur (40%). Instability in Uttarakhand and change of leadership made little dent in its economic expansion.

Despite the considerable improvement over the last five years, UP's per capita income remains at about half the national level of Rs 46,500 in 2010. Punjab at Rs 62,000 and Uttarakhand (Rs 55,800) are well above the national average. Ditto for Gujarat at Rs 63,900.
All 3 states Gujarat, Punjab, Uttrakhand are BJP+ ruled states. :thumb:

Last edited:

Galaxy

Country flag
One can't compare growth of U.P. with Gujarat as U.P. is underdeveloped and Gujarat is already developed till certain extent. India is growing around 8% and Japan at 1%. In same way, U.P. can grow even at 12% for next 15 years to come as par with Today's Gujarat.

Also, Gujarat is industrial hub too. Most of the big industries are located there which contributes to overall country's economy whereas U.P. is very far behind in that comparison. It's U.P. who is lagging overall India's GDP growth as U.P. is home for 18% Population but contribution not even half i.e. 9%. Gujarat GDP is higher side as per average population/GDP size.

It's Mayawati Political statement due to 2012 election. She won't able to win election but BSP still looks like will be No. 1 party thanks to her social engineering.

Last edited:

Galaxy

Country flag
Depends on which criteria ? Per capita income ? No, But GDP growth and Industrial growth were very good compare with many states like U.P.

That was the thread and that only I said. I didn't said Top 3 GDP per capita.

Thread was U.P. and Gujarat after Maywati wrong statement - I replied that only. Isn't it ?

State like Gujarat can't grow 12% for next decade compare with states like U.P. as Gujarat is far developed compare with U.P.

Last edited:

plugwater

Depends on which criteria ? Per capita income ? No, But GDP growth and Industrial growth were very good compare with many states like U.P.

That was the thread and that only I said. I didn't said Top 3 GDP per capita.

Thread was U.P. and Gujarat after Maywati wrong statement - I replied that only. Isn't it ?
Saar, you highlighted BJP ruled states as if they are top three, dont deny it !!

You brought BJP ruled states into the discussion of Modi vs Mayawati, so i posted the stats.

State like Gujarat can't grow 12% for next decade compare with states like U.P. as Gujarat is far developed compare with U.P.
Noone is denying it.

Galaxy

Country flag
Saar, you highlighted BJP ruled states as if they are top three, dont deny it !!

You brought BJP ruled states into the discussion of Modi vs Mayawati, so i posted the stats.
No, I didn't said TOP 3. Can you show me where I said ?? I highlighted from the news link only. and re quoted. I didn't said anything else.

I said
All 3 states Gujarat, Punjab, Uttrakhand are BJP+ ruled states
. As these states were mentioned in this news. I didn't added anything on my own. :)

In Post No. 3 - I posted as per comparison of Gujarat and U.P. as this thread was started after Mayawati raising such things.

How can i say Top 3 when even a kid knows status of Haryana and Mahrashtra.

Last edited:

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
amazing figures and what an eye opener this report is:
UP's NSDP at current prices was pegged at Rs 2,56,000 crore in 2005-06. At the end of 2009-10, it had reached Rs 4,53,000 crore. The Mayawati-ruled state has performed on a par with Narendra Modi's Gujarat, which saw its economy expand from Rs 2 lakh crore in 2005-06 to Rs 3.70 lakh crore last year.
the figures above say it all.

awesome is the word from me, and what this also shows is how biased media can be in its reporting. its as if mayawati can only be about statues, buddhism, lower cast politics, reservation politics and no more. i am for one stunned, and pleasantly!

if this is what mayawati has to offer, i would say she needs to get a thumping majority in the forth coming UP elections, the UP electorate better do the honours.

yesterday i made a post, quoting the relevant part:

how much i wish we have a political party which without any inhibitions would talk reforms and initiate them, possibly this is where narender modi can come to india's rescue but i am really not convinced people who go to cast their votes even think in terms of the economy of the country.
i was about to say, if mayawati can fit the bill on economic reforms, i would more than gladly, if given a chance, vote for her, didnt say that since i thought that would look sarcastic, but then mayawati indeed has made a very strong point without any sort of hype.

gujarat cant be out rightly written off.

yes, the state has faltered on the fdi numbers, where every two years gujarat has had the non-resident gujarati conclave where by now close to a trillion dollars have been committed and most of it in terms of fdi, and the last one was the 3rd such conclave, but none of that has transformed in to fdi inflow.

check this: http://dipp.nic.in/fdi_statistics/india_FDI_April2011.pdf (figures are till april '11)
gujarat comes a distant 5th, and the state at number 6, andhra pradesh, in the last over 2years has done much better which shows gujarat in the initial years had a head start over quite a few other states.

but, gujarat has become a favourite destination of investment within india, led by the domestic industry and as this is happening we are seeing a transformation where industry within india is moving to gujarat, TATA's from WB, Maruti-Suzuki from gurgaon/manesar, etc. incidently when suzuki moves within india from gurgaon/manesar to gujarat, that investment wont be accounted for as fdi, but yes will show in over all investment data of the state.

India's most preferred investment destinations - Rediff.com Business

when the likes of ratan tata say, if you are not in gujarat, you are not in the right place or mukesh ambani if full of acculades for gujarat and narendera modi or when sunil mittal suggests modi's name for the PM's post, these people certainly mean it very seriously.

Plugwater,

for north to reach a position to compete with the southern states, its a must that india starts to have a roaring trade with pakistan and then pakistan provides a transit facility, else the the north, which is pretty much land locked, will keep suffering despite all the potential it holds and this is for the exact reason why the pakistanis have done the MFN deal with india because their punjab which is the most inhabited is pretty much landlocked and for them to prosper, increased trade with india becomes of essence.

so irrespective of punjab, uttrakhand having tons of potential, the two states and others in the north will keep facing hurdles, and still these states have done much better.

what the northern states would prefer is a FTA with pakistan.

mayfair

To be honest, as someone with roots in Eastern UP, I would love it if these statistics were true and reflected the situation on the ground. I visit my native pretty often and from all that I have seen, the place has gone backwards year after year. I wonder if NOIDA/Ghaziabad developments are artificially skewing the stats on display here.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
To be honest, as someone with roots in Eastern UP, I would love it if these statistics were true and reflected the situation on the ground. I visit my native pretty often and from all that I have seen, the place has gone backwards year after year. I wonder if NOIDA/Ghaziabad developments are artificially skewing the stats on display here.
more than ghaziabad, it ought to be noida.

yes one would prefer a district wise break up.

Galaxy

Country flag
more than ghaziabad, it ought to be noida.

yes one would prefer a district wise break up.
Noida/Ghaziabad development is more due to Delhi.

You have to set more parameters.

Electricity - Gujrat has surplus whereas 6-7 hours power cut in Noida/Lucknow/Kanpur.

Literacy, education, Unemployment, Health care, Transportation, and many thing else - U.P. is still far behind from national average. It is more due to political reasons and corruption which i do agree.

Go to district like Meerut and Bhavnagar - Difference is quite large.

Last edited:

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Noida/Ghaziabad development is more due to Delhi.
so could be said about haryana (faridabad/gurgaon) and so could be said about haryana (punchkula) and punjab (mohali) which adjoin chandigarh. NCR was created with a purpose, noida could well have been made a ghaziabad but was not and i am not giving any credit for that to mayawati.

You have to set more parameters.

Electricity - Gujrat has surplus whereas 6-7 hours power cut in Noida/Lucknow/Kanpur.

Literacy, education, Unemployment, Health care, Transportation, and many thing else - U.P. is still far behind from national average. It is more due to political reasons and corruption which i do agree.

Go to district like Meerut and Bhavnagar - Difference is quite large.
UP as a state was raped in the 90's, and pretty much so in this decade.

UP has three primary problems, the east of the state, land locked and the population. east UP is what bihar was under lalu, UP is land locked to gujarat which has direct access to the sea (look at the states which attract max investment in india, and all have access to the sea, primary reason why the west and the south over shadow the whole country in terms of growth) and what does UP neighbour? nepal, one doesnt expect any sort of significant trade with that country which can be directly beneficial for that state, and the population of the state is 200million to 60million of gujarat, the problem compounds three times.

compare gujarat to haryana, and see the difference, will tell a different story.

UP politics is pathetic, its the most communal, and casteist in the country. what gujarat never had was a politics of such nature nor did that state have the 90's and 00's, irrespective of who ruled gujarat, that state was always one of the better performing states, a pro business state, coupled with the enterprising nature of the gujju community.

about human development index (HDI), here is a report released by the central government which gives a thumbs up to UP and bihar but not gujarat, and this report can never have political over tones since UP is up for grabs next year with the elections coming in and the central government and the congress are doing everything possible to tarnish the image of mayawati and just in case mayawati was to win, that would have a huge impact on the moral of congress since rahul G is the front face of congress there.

anyways, the best for UP would be if they divide this state further in to three, the sooner it happens the better.

mayfair

UP has three primary problems, the east of the state, land locked and the population. east UP is what bihar was under lalu, UP is land locked to gujarat which has direct access to the sea (look at the states which attract max investment in india, and all have access to the sea, primary reason why the west and the south over shadow the whole country in terms of growth) and what does UP neighbour? nepal, one doesnt expect any sort of significant trade with that country which can be directly beneficial for that state, and the population of the state is 200million to 60million of gujarat, the problem compounds three times.
Odisha, Bengal and Kerala are coastal states. Punjab has Pakistan as their neighbour. We know which has the highest socio-economic-industrial indices amongst them.

compare gujarat to haryana, and see the difference, will tell a different story.
What story? Can you elaborate on that?

UP politics is pathetic, its the most communal, and casteist in the country. what gujarat never had was a politics of such nature nor did that state have the 90's and 00's
Caste and communal politics are not limited to UP alone. Albeit they are extremely pronounced there, especially caste-based politics.

irrespective of who ruled gujarat, that state was always one of the better performing states, a pro business state, coupled with the enterprising nature of the gujju community.
Yet clearly, the past ten years the state has progressed more rapidly and holistically. Mallus are highly enterprising as well, yet Kerala does not seem to share the same indices of industrial growth. To their credit, social indices are pretty high in Kerala, though a lot may have to do with the gulf remittances.

about human development index (HDI), here is a report released by the central government which gives a thumbs up to UP and bihar but not gujarat, and this report can never have political over tones since UP is up for grabs next year with the elections coming in and the central government and the congress are doing everything possible to tarnish the image of mayawati and just in case mayawati was to win, that would have a huge impact on the moral of congress since rahul G is the front face of congress there.
HDI report is indeed surprising since UP is the state with the largest number of impoverished people in India. Also, Gujarat's overall score on the Human Development Index has, gone up to 0.527 in 2007-08, from 0.466 in 1999-2000, well above the national average of 0.467 as per the report of 2007-08.

anyways, the best for UP would be if they divide this state further in to three, the sooner it happens the better.
For UP to truly progress, the mindset of the people must change. They could do by stop by being extremely curious about the caste of those whom they come in contact with.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
GDP does not feed the stomach.

Per capita income does.

Anyone has the figures?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The method of Calculating India GDP is the expenditure
method, which is, GDP = consumption + investment +
(government spending) + (exports-imports) and the formula
is GDP = C + I + G + (X-M)

Where,

C stands for consumption which includes personal
expenditures pertaining to food, households, medical
expenses, rent, etc

I stands for business investment as capital which includes
construction of a new mine, purchase of machinery and
equipment for a factory, purchase of software, expenditure on new houses,
buying goods and services but investments on financial
products is not included as it falls under savings

G stands for the total government expenditures on final
goods and services which includes investment expenditure by
the government, purchase of weapons for the military, and
salaries of public servants

X stands for gross exports which includes all goods and
services produced for overseas consumption

M stands for gross imports which includes

How to calculate india GDP growth rate?

Does it include the population since consumption and personal investment adds up?

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Mayawati's people makes a dollar a day, is it some major achievement when it doesn't even meet inflation?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
As a layman, I would be more concerned about the PPP and the Quality of Life.

Montek and his intellectual wizards can conjure mythical GDPs which is of no value to the common man's existence, if Rs 32, to them is the base value for a good existence in India!!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles