Massacre in Pakistan: Chilling Accounts of Nanga Parbat Massacre

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
6/28/13 – Various accounts of the June 22-23 massacres of 11 climbers and support staff at the Diamir base camp of Nanga Parbat are emerging. Zhang Jingchuan, the sole surviving climber in base camp that night, has returned to China and gave a few details of his experience to Chinese reporters in this account.

American climber Jesse Huey, who returned from Pakistan this week after deciding not to continue on his planned expedition to the Karakoram, received an email recounting the experience of Polish climbers on Nanga Parbat during and after the massacre. This account by Polish Alpine Club member Boguslaw Magrel is reproduced below.

[For another perspective, Steve Swenson, a veteran of 11 climbing expeditions to Pakistan, has written about the historical and political background to the Nanga Parbat killings, options for climbing in northern Pakistan, and the impact of this incident on the local people of Gilgit-Baltistan at his blog. Click here to read this extremely informative piece.]

The Polish Nanga Parbat story originally appeared in Polish on the expedition website. Here is the rough translation using Bing and Google services:

"Hello, it is very difficult to find the words to describe what happened to us. But I think the matter is so serious that you need and you should talk about it openly and decisively.

"As you know, June 6 we went on a trip to Pakistan, where the goal was to climb Nanga Parbat. We checked in at Diamir Base Camp on June 10. The next day we went up the mountain, where we set up Camp 1 at 4,800m, an intermediate camp at 5,300, then a second camp at 6,000 m.

"Quite optimistic we looked to the future, because at the bottom of the mountain we met strong teams from Pakistan, Ukraine, an international team comprising climbers from Russia, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Azerbaijan, another team of Ukrainian-Slovak climbers, additionally came Sherpas with clients from China and a climber from Turkey. In total, about 50 climbers.

"Then we had a great misfortune. Our camp at Nanga Parbat was attacked on the night of June 22/23 by armed men claiming to be Taliban [Ed: Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan]. The camp was surrounded; all climbers were dragged out of their tents, bound, robbed, and then shot.

"The Taliban were disappointed that they could not catch the Americans and stated that it is a revenge for the killing of Osama Bin Laden. 'Okoliczolności' executions are familiar to me, but I will not recount them here. In this horrific crime 11 people lost their lives, including many prominent mountaineers.

"The remaining climbers managed to escape death as we were in the higher camps. Speaking also of luck, the Nepalese people returned to the camp at night; they heard gunshots literally 300 meters before they entered BC. The Taliban did not attack the camp workers; most of whom were recruited from this valley.

"We have learned about the tragedy from the only climber who managed to escape from the camp. While trying to escape, our Chinese friend was shot in the ear, but by satellite phone he was able to tell his Nepalese agency, which then alerted Nazir Sabir in Pakistan. This famous climber immediately informed the Pakistani Army, which sent helicopters to the Base Camp. Soldiers secured the area and ordered us to immediately return to the base.

"By the evening all climbers reached BC, but that night, no one slept. In the morning three helicopters flew in, including an Mi-8, which evacuated us to Gilgit. From there a military Hercules plane took us to Islamabad.

"Our expedition is over. Currently we are trying to get our equipment, which remained at Base Camp, to return to Poland. Unfortunately, it is not easy because of Pakistani support agencies leave much to be desired. Also the support of the government is very weak. Everybody who plans to climb a mountain in Pakistan should rethink their plans, because the Taliban officially informed that tourists will be targeted in further attacks. It should also be noted that it is a complete change in their terrorist activities, because so far no attack was done against foreign tourists. Prosecution of the murderers is very difficult, because the current Pakistani government is sympathetic to the Taliban."

http://www.climbing.com/news/chilling-accounts-of-nanga-parbat-massacres/

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
And they say their highest peak is K2 which again is in illegally occupied land by Pak

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk HD

Blackwater

Pakistan- the land made up of illegal occupied areas

:p:p:p

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
"The Taliban were disappointed that they could not catch the Americans and stated that it is a revenge for the killing of Osama Bin Laden.
Needs confirmation.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Oh, the Irony

Taliban kill Pakistan officers probing massacre of foreign climbers

(Reuters) - Pakistan-based Taliban fighters opened fire on a group of police officers investigating a June massacre of foreign climbers, killing three, officials said on Tuesday.

The Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility for the June 22-23 pre-dawn attack when gunmen dressed as policemen stormed a base camp on Pakistan's second-highest peak of Nanga Parbat, killing 10 foreign climbers and a local guide.

The attack shocked the international climbing community and several expeditions to Pakistan have been canceled, depriving its starving economy of much-needed cash at the height of the climbing season.

A group of Pakistani officers investigating the massacre came under attack in the troubled Diamar district of Gilgit-Baltistan province of northern Pakistan late on Monday. Gunmen opened fire on their motorcade.

"Though no major arrests have been made so far related to the June 23 shooting of foreigners, these officials were investigating the killings of foreigners," a senior security official told Reuters.

A Pakistani Taliban spokesman claimed responsibility for the attack on police.

Victims of the mountain assault included climbers from China, Lithuania, Nepal, Slovakia, Ukraine and one person with joint U.S.-Chinese citizenship. One Chinese climber escaped.

Nanga Parbat, one of the world's highest mountains, is popular among international mountaineers because of its challenging terrain, but growing violence has damaged the potentially lucrative tourism industry.

Once-peaceful areas of northern Pakistan where the mountain is located are increasingly infiltrated by militants seeking to gain footholds beyond their traditional hideouts on Pakistan's porous border with Afghanistan.

Taliban kill Pakistan officers probing massacre of foreign climbers | Reuters

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
Nanga Parbat is not in Pakistan per se but rather in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (POK). Just saying!
this makes me so happy.that i would rather want the kashmir issue to be never solved and always remain disputed.

Love it when you can cry and calling it your own land but are not allowed to even come nearby

:rofl::rofl:

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Love it when you can cry and calling it your own land but are not allowed to even come nearby
We are very nearby. Love it when you fail at geography(too). :(

Tolaha

this makes me so happy.that i would rather want the kashmir issue to be never solved and always remain disputed.

We too do not want the Kashmir issue to be ever resolved! :rofl: Just a few hundred thousand Pakistanis dead due to Kashmir obsession, just not enough! :rofl:

BTW, you had promised last time that you will never again reply to my posts! One more evidence to nail it that you and your ilk are fake!

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
many thanks to our first PM - a beautiful hindu nime - nanga parbat is in packland

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Not to worry.

You are collapsing under your own terrorist weight.

Gilgit Baltistan will be a new country.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
We too do not want the Kashmir issue to be ever resolved! :rofl: Just a few hundred thousand Pakistanis dead due to Kashmir obsession, just not enough! :rofl:

BTW, you had promised last time that you will never again reply to my posts! One more evidence to nail it that you and your ilk are fake!
i forgot,i cant add member to my ignore list.since the right is not available with me.

other than this than i forgot whom to not reply

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles