Masala Dosa to Die For

Compersion

Country flag
This would be only my second post - please accept apologies if it is not in the correct thread - I though about "Culture and Religion" but I believe this is more about Business and Business people in India. Fascinating article from overseas (kudos) that touches upon many intricacies of India and also a little western misconstruction thrown in along with a murder mixed in:

Read more here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/11/magazine/masala-dosa-to-die-for.html?src=me&ref=general&_r=0

Some excerpts but the article needs to be read in full:

A coffee man, he explained, should be small and quiet, while a dosa chef needs to be at least 5-foot-6.
When he was a teenager, he moved to Chennai, then known as Madras, and in 1968 opened the first in a series of tiny groceries on the outskirts of the city. One day in 1979, at his grocery in a neighborhood called KK Nagar, a salesman made a casual remark: He'd have to go all the way to T Nagar for lunch because KK Nagar didn't have any restaurants.
This guy has risen from such humble background and there is the murder involved (the story and why and how it was done can only come from India).

trackwhack

Big Sorry but Saravana Bavan has no clue about what they are doing when making a masala dosa. In fact tamilians have no clue what a good dosa must taste like. The silly place is a hyped up kitchen that sells below standards food at a premium.

The average Bangalore sagar will make you a dosa thats way way better. But if you are a real dosa connoisseur, you know there is nothing to beat a davangere benne masala in davangere. If you want an above average good dosa, go to CTR in Malleswaram. If you want an average dosa go to MTR opposite Lal Bagh. If you want the best dosa in Bangalore, find this place called Basaveshwara Nagara Dosa off West of Chord Road.

Once again, no offence to tamilians but they dont have a clue about dosas.

BTW, no disrespect to the business acumen of the guy who owns the Saravana Bhavan chain.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
Sine its dossa

I would like to say from mumbkairs specailly in andheri mysore doas with cheese has become default option

It looks like mumbaikar has moved ahead from masala dossa now to mysore dosa

indiatester

Country flag
Big Sorry but Saravana Bavan has no clue about what they are doing when making a masala dosa. In fact tamilians have no clue what a good dosa must taste like. The silly place is a hyped up kitchen that sells below standards food at a premium.

The average Bangalore sagar will make you a dosa thats way way better. But if you are a real dosa connoisseur, you know there is nothing to beat a davangere benne masala in davangere. If you want an above average good dosa, go to CTR in Malleswaram. If you want an average dosa go to MTR opposite Lal Bagh. If you want the best dosa in Bangalore, find this place called Basaveshwara Nagara Dosa off West of Chord Road.

BTW, no disrespect to the business acumen of the guy who owns the Saravana Bhavan chain.
What's your opinion on the dosa in Vidyarthi Bhavan. I personally felt it was not worth the wait next to the table for a seat to eat that over oiled dosa.
I'll definitely try the places you mentioned!

trackwhack

What's your opinion on the dosa in Vidyarthi Bhavan. I personally felt it was not worth the wait next to the table for a seat to eat that over oiled dosa.
I'll definitely try the places you mentioned!
VB made decent dosas 10 years back. Now its the same level as MTR, nothing fancy. there is one dosa guy on kanakpura road as well, forgot exact location. he makes davangere benne. good luck with these places, in mysore das prakash was good, not sure now, been long.

RajeevKr

Man, which world are you living? Do you understand what is to be served with dosa..the add-ons are what defines a taste....

peacecracker

Back in the '80s, we had Udupi hotels in Kerala serving typical Masala Dosas. now, everywhere it is Tamils ran Aryas, Sravana bhavans. Authentic Udupi hotels are located in big cities only.
and yes - Mitrasamaj, Udupi is considered one of the top when it comes to Dosas.

trackwhack

Man, which world are you living? Do you understand what is to be served with dosa..the add-ons are what defines a taste....
Look at the title Jacques, Masala Dosa. Do you have any clue what we are talking about?

laughingbuddha

Country flag
I have had masala dosas all over the country but have enjoyed the ones best at the train station at Dimapur (Nagaland) while waiting for the shatabdi. Probably because it was accompanied with the best sambar I have ever had. Piping hot and delicious! No star fare has ever come close to that...yet.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Dosas....well I am starting to feel hungry and nostalgic.:laugh:

Last edited:

RajeevKr

Look at the title Jacques, Masala Dosa. Do you have any clue what we are talking about?
Oh ya...since its an eatable. ...probably we all know what it tastes like.....if u dont appreciate the add ons...you won't appreciate the differeing taste...been in south for close to 15 years..so yes..I know what I am talking about...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

trackwhack

Oh ya...since its an eatable. ...probably we all know what it tastes like.....if u dont appreciate the add ons...you won't appreciate the differeing taste...been in south for close to 15 years..so yes..I know what I am talking about...

I understood from the above rant that you havent eaten 'the' masala dosa. only masala dosas. I cant help you. there are those that get it and those that dont.

RajeevKr

I understood from the above rant that you havent eaten 'the' masala dosa. only masala dosas. I cant help you. there are those that get it and those that dont.
Man...I don't know what to talk...to a person who is always sitting on judgement.....suggest you to explore some places in tn before you pass sweeping judgements that tamilians dont know how to make THE dosa...undrstood jacques...

jmj_overlord

masala dosa....nothing much to say. The best ones i have eaten are from the hotels run by tamilians . Those guys i think are masters when preparing dosas.....

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The best idli I have ever had was prepared by a Major's wife of my unit recently and it was soft like snow!

Honest!

The best paper dosa I have had was made at the Madras Engineering Group Wet Canteen by the MEG Bangalore in 1976. I have never eaten such crispy and long dosas. And the best part was that it was dirt cheap. All instructors of ASMT (I was one) and their families used to crowd the Canteen every Sunday and then go to see a western film at the ancient cinema hall opposite Cubbon Park.

Last edited:

trackwhack

Man...I don't know what to talk...to a person who is always sitting on judgement.....suggest you to explore some places in tn before you pass sweeping judgements that tamilians dont know how to make THE dosa...undrstood jacques...

I need your permission to be judgemental. F Off dude. My opinion is my opinion. Who the hell are you to censor me. Take a hike Tamilians dont know how to make a good masala dosa.

RajeevKr

I need your permission to be judgemental. F Off dude. My opinion is my opinion. Who the hell are you to censor me. Take a hike Tamilians dont know how to make a good masala dosa.
You can buzz off now if you think you everything. ...who givesva damnn of your retarted opinion......someone is too damnn foolish not to understand the difference between being judgemental on facts or censorship. ..typical sanjay jha logic...

Global Defence

New threads

Articles