Maoist Leader Kishenji Killed By Security Forces

Poseidon

Country flag
Top Bengal Maoist Kishenji killed in gunbattle with forces.

(picture courtesy - NDTV)

West Bengal's top Maoist leader Koteshwar Rao alias Kishenji has been killed in a gunbattle with security forces in Burishol in Lalgarh, West Midnapore, sources in the state police have said.

A woman aide with him, Suchitra, is also believed to be dead. Another three to four Maoists are also dead, though there is no official confirmation of these deaths.

Foxing the joint forces for a second time in two years in Junglemhal yesterday, Kishenji and Suchitra escaped from West Midnapore district in West Bengal into Jharkhand.

"We had strong information that Kishenji and Suchitra, the wife of a slain state committee member, were hiding in the jungles of Nalbani, Lalbani and Khusbani in Jhargram area of West Midnapore district," a top Counter Insurgency Force officer told PTI yesterday.

Sources said Jhargram

The joint forces were alerted by the arrest of five Maoist 'village defence squad' members, who comprised the outermost ring of four rings usually assigned to protect a top leader such as Kishenji.

Top Bengal Maoist Kishenji killed in gunbattle with forces - Indian Express

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Kishenji, top Maoist leader, shot dead in West Wengal: Reports - The Times of India

NEW DELHI: Top Maoist leader Koteswar Rao alias Kishenji along with four other Maoists were killed on Thursday in an encounter at Burishol village in West Bengal.

According to sources, the top Maoist leader killed in a gunbattle with security forces that lasted around half-an-hour. Search for another Maoist leader Suchitra Mahato is on.

Meanwhile, five Maoists were arrested by the joint security forces after they launched a massive manhunt for top Maoist leader Kishenji suspected to be hiding in the jungles of West Midnapore's Jhargram area, police sources said Wednesday.

Following intelligence inputs that Maoist leaders Kishenji alias Koteshwar Rao and Suchitra Mahato might be hiding in jungles at Nalbani, Lalbani or Khusbani in Jhargram, the forces raided the areas which led to the arrest of five rebels though there was no sign of the leaders, said the sources.

A massive combing operation was launched by the security forces to look for the top rebels. Forces deployed in Jharkhand have also been alerted and asked to join in.

A large quantity of arms and ammunition have also been recovered in the operation, the sources said.

The security forces have resumed counter offensive operation in Junglemahal (Maoist affected areas of West Midnapore, Bankura and Purulia) after getting a go ahead from West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.

The state government has also brought back former West Midnapore superintendent of police Manoj Verma, who was awaiting posting, to head the counter insurgency force.

SHASH2K2

Great news. First sharad pawar slapgate and now this guy is killed. one of best day of the year for the country .

S.A.T.A

This I think came on the back of Maoist becoming complacent,otherwise Kishenji was a veritable escape artist,right up there in Houdini's alley.If the Maoists had hoped that their covert alliance with Mamata,stuck in order to oust their common enemy the 'Left',would lead to any substantial realignment of the policies of the state of WB with regards to Maoists, then they seriously failed to appreciate the kind of astute politicians Mamata Banerjee had turned out into over the years.

The fallout between TMC and the Maoists was expected and i think it was only the Maoists who were caught by surprise.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The Telegraph reported this morning that this Kishen and another woman had escaped!

But the TOI report is at 0601PM.

It means that during the encounter that had been reported, this Kishen was grievously injured and then he succumbed.

I will just check the Bengali news since this will be the real breaking news stuff!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The man is dead.

Encounter on.

Ms Mahato injured.

Media only allowed in areas secured.

johnee

SATA,
I think, even the maoists were smart enough to realise that TMC(or Mamata) was only being a political opportunists by allying with them. I dont think they were surprised and I dont think they were banking on Mamta's loyalty...

S.A.T.A

SATA,
I think, even the maoists were smart enough to realise that TMC(or Mamata) was only being a political opportunists by allying with them. I dont think they were surprised and I dont think they were banking on Mamta's loyalty...
Well kishenji has all the time in eternity to ponder over it...

Reactions: KS

anoop_mig25

Country flag
few days after , indian jhowalas would come and demand enquiry about encounter and would term fighting incident as fake encounter by crpf

Pintu

Kishenji kill was easy as he was 'considerably weakened' in earlier attack - India - DNA

Kishenji kill was easy as he was 'considerably weakened' in earlier attack
Published: Thursday, Nov 24, 2011, 19:46 IST
By Saikat Datta | Place: New Delhi | Agency: DNA

A West Bengal police 'spotter' on Thursday evening confirmed that elusive Maoist leader Kishenji, aka Koteshwar Rao, was killed and his body recovered.

Sources told DNA that the West Bengal police had received specific inputs on Kishenji's whereabouts. Technical intelligence also helped in pinpointing his whereabouts. Central forces were called in after the intelligence report. Kishenji was considerably weakened in an attack earlier, which helped the police nail him this time, sources said.

Kishenji had reportedly moved to Jharkhand for some time and had recently returned to Bengal.

Security circles see Kishenji's death to be the 'beginning of the end' for the Maoists in West Bengal and an end of erstwhile 'Party Unity', one of the three factions of CPI (Maoists).

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles