Manzhouli 满洲里, Inner Mongolia, a city bordering with Russia and Mongolia

badguy2000

Respected Member
Inner Mongolia is one of the provinces that is growing fastest in China....some of its cities now has a per capital nominal GDP of 20K USD ,such as Ordos

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
That's a beautiful city, I love the architecture of the buildings.

cir

This is a tiny border town with a population of some 200,000。

BangersAndMash

Are the white people Russian tourists?

What is the Han population of the city and Inner Mongolia?

ganesh177

Country flag
Very neat, i must say.
Big empty roads has become a luxury in india. :(

badguy2000

Respected Member
well, Manzhouli is a county-level city.it has a populaiton of 260K and a area of 760 Square KM.

its GDP of 2011 is 15.41 billion RMB( about 2.45 billion USD),with a growth of 21.1%.

its per capital nominal GDP is about 10K USD.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Nice city.

Gleaming cars, but the traffic seems to be low if one takes the large buildings are an index to the numbers that live or could live in such a city and hence, the number of cars that should otherwise be in such a city.

Why are the shops boards/ hoardings in Russian and not Chinese?

Last edited:

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Buildings look quite European. I expected traditional Chinese style architecture.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Yes, building look more russian than Chinese.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
have any new info about Ordos? still a modern ghost town??
I did not know it was one of the Ghost towns of China.

Your post made me check.

Even though it is said to be a Ghost town, it still is neat and beautiful.

The Kangbashi district began as a public-works project in Ordos, a wealthy coal-mining town in Inner Mongolia. The area is filled with office towers, administrative centers, government buildings, museums, theaters and sports fields—not to mention acre on acre of subdivisions overflowing with middle-class duplexes and bungalows. The only problem: the district was originally designed to house, support and entertain 1 million people, yet hardly anyone lives there.

Though many of the properties in Kangbashi have been sold and a million people were projected to be living in Kangbashi by 2010, the city is still empty.

Read more: Ordos, China: A Modern Ghost Town - Photo Essays - TIME

amoy

Buildings look quite European. I expected traditional Chinese style architecture.
Manzhouli (Meaning Manchurian Town literally) is a town bordering Russia and Mongolia, also a rail ramp. And Russian is one of 56 recognized minority groups in China, in thousands, migrating to China a hundred years or so ago. Russian style is quite popular in that area.

Historically, if I remember correctly, Temjin (Genghis Khan) covenanted nearby with various tribes marking a Mongolian identity coming into being.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Manzhouli (Meaning Manchurian Town literally) is a town bordering Russia and Mongolia, also a rail ramp. And Russian is one of 56 recognized minority groups in China, in thousands, migrating to China a hundred years or so ago. Russian style is quite popular in that area.

Historically, if I remember correctly, Temjin (Genghis Khan) covenanted nearby with various tribes marking a Mongolian identity coming into being.
15,609 Russians are there in China as per the 2000 census.

There are a total as per the 2000 census, there were 1,369,766 inhabitants in the Kanbashi districts.

Of them:

Hans are 1,207,971 or 88.19%
Mongols are 155,845 or 11.38%
Manchus are 2905 or 0.21%
Hui are 1861 or 0.14%
Tibetans are 1023 or o.07%
Ordos City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Russians are not found worthy of mention.

Would catering to this small group, if indeed there are Russians, be more important than the others who maybe the majority in the region?

It seems a bit perplexing unless the Russians there are the richer of all the people and hence find prominence as a target group!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles