Manmohan slams West for using force to change regimes

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
PM Manmohan Singh said at the UN that absence of democracy and rule of law cannot be a pretext to violate sovereignty and integrity of countries.

http://toi.in/9yFV1a

Country flag
UN seems to be a theatre of hypocrisy. Manmohan who cannot use force against terrorists in his own nation and viewed as doing the wrong things in Kashmir issue preaching to UN members who only believe in force to bring change and will always be viewed as doing the right thing.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Good posturing by Manmohan.

It remains posturing since none will care!

mayfair

PM Manmohan Singh said at the UN that absence of democracy and rule of law cannot be a pretext to violate sovereignty and integrity of countries.

Manmohan slams West for using force to change regimes - The Times of India
I wonder if this is a fallout of the recent warming up of relations between India and Iran or is it our "venerable" (more like venereal) PM's inner Pakistaniyat that bleeds for his place of birth with which he "shares common destiny".

I would like to believe it's the former, but I suspect it is the latter

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I could not believe he said this. Indian foreign policy is all messed up. Just the other day India extended full support to the Libyan rebels. Now he says this. But in the end it's not surprising considering India never had a coherent foreign policy anyways. Still I did not understand the need for coming out with this statement.

mayfair

I could not believe he said this. Indian foreign policy is all messed up. Just the other day India extended full support to the Libyan rebels. Now he says this. But in the end it's not surprising considering India never had a coherent foreign policy anyways. Still I did not understand the need for coming out with this statement.
Is it a coincidence that similar statements have been emanating from the failed terror exporting state to our west? How convenient that Manmohan seems to echo those sentiments.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
A coward's speech.

I think he scared about his own corrupt govt. being tumble down by Anna Hazarey el al; who is allegedly supported by western powers.

What USA did in Afghanistan by throwing Taliban regime who was an extension of ISI and PA and now punishing thug Gaddafi who ranted openly against India at last UNO session is a great service to timid India.

India if can not take sides then she should learn how to keep shut up and work for her own good quietly like many other regional and impending great powers are doing.

Last edited:

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Wonder what is happening here. MMS plans to visit iran, MMS takes on the west, what has he been eating off late?

Anyways, its never wrong to call a spade a spade once in a while, but coming from MMS, I mean MMS!!! wow!!!

I really want to understand the back ground point scoring that is being attempted here.

Is he trying to point out that India wont cave in to the demands being made on Syria, and on iran and that India has legitimate interests to carry forward or is he suggesting the west to back off from mid-east in the attempt to position the country as one which believes in non-interference in the MENA something that resonates well with the streets of MENA, anyways it is good to see India learn the art of balancing out its relations and interests, a must for any country to move ahead to a stronger position.

And as I say that I would love to see someday MMS also pay a visit to Israel, mr MMS are you listening?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Good posturing by Manmohan.

It remains posturing since none will care!
Pretty much sums it up. It doesn't help the Indian case for a UNSC perm seat with the Western powers.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Did your Prime Minister forget 1971? Didn't India intervene in East Pakistan - how is Libya different? I suspect on set of dementia due to old age.
Yeah seems so. I don't support this foreign policy. india was never good at it any ways. We need better brains to run foreign affairs.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Did your Prime Minister forget 1971? Didn't India intervene in East Pakistan - how is Libya different? I suspect on set of dementia due to old age.
DBC,

I really don't think he is even trying to lecture the US or the west as a whole there, and I might add, he dare not "¦"¦"¦. lol.

There are 2 things that come to my mind really,

One could be he is trying to address the domestic constituency of the conservative section of muslims and the leftists (who even now have a big say in the running of the affairs of this government) and mind you he comes from a political party where one of their general secretary addressed osama as "ji", and "ji" is in reference to giving respect to others, imagine!

Second one is the interest to keep the political forces/countries interested in India which feel threatened and that India wants to court in the MENA region.

And seriously MMS would be the last one to ever lecture the west or forces that are/were against Libya/iran/Syria or have used force there. Scratch a little further and you will find there have been just 3 heads of state who have been ever welcomed by MMS at the tarmac of the airport, two of which happen to be the presidents of the US (Bush and Obama) and the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] one the king of KSA and both these countries are/were against the regimes of Libya/Syria/iran and I really don't think he would even think of antagonizing any of the two.

People really doing the talk here are the policy makers of the congress party so if the blame at all needs to be directed, that be done to those people who make those policies with the blessings of the congress high command, where the Gandhi family has complete monopoly.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Did the guy ACTUALLY say that ? :facepalm:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Not that I am great fan of MMS.

However, the situation in 1971 was different.

India could not take the economic burden of East Pak refugees. She pleaded to the world powers. Nothing happened.

It was either India sinks or cuts out the cancer that was killing India!

Is it the same for the West to intervene repeatedly everywhere and anywhere with or without plausible reasons?

Let us look at Iraq (Afghanistan is justified because of 9/11). Any justification?

If it was Freedom and Democracy and inhuman treatment of citizens, then must we forget worse that happened in Rwanda Burundi or for the matter, ZImbabwe?

If it were Democracy, what Democracy are we talking about? The fudging by Bush's brother so that Bush maharaj becomes President? Some democracy, indeed!

Last edited:
Reactions: nrj

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Looks like the last days of his Govt are nearing. Wait and see what all happens after he returns on 28th. The Pranab-Chidambaram_manmohan saga.
There is no relevance of your statement about the govt being on last legs to the one made by MMS.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
DBC,

One could be he is trying to address the domestic constituency of the conservative section of muslims and the leftists (who even now have a big say in the running of the affairs of this government) and mind you he comes from a political party where one of their general secretary addressed osama as "ji", and "ji" is in reference to giving respect to others, imagine!
You have hit on the nail. This congress-I actually all political parties can go to any length even by compromising whole nation on global stage to run their govt. smoothly.

PS: I wonder if they ever discuss it with Indian Muslims; if these shoddy tactics "hathkandey'' really appease them.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
I actually liked him as a PM for the first time. For whatever reasons, he did show some cojones.
I don't know why we should be so apprehensive. Too much apprehension has caused our foreign policies and self projection to be so inconsistent.
Even now, some people (including known columnists) are warning against agonizing China with the oil exploration bids at South east Asia sea.
You get punched in face and ponder too many ifs and buts instead of giving back in kind? You will be punched again ... and again and again till you go down.

Regards,
Virendra

johnee

Frankly, irrespective of what he says/said, he cant do anything about Libya, so why talk about it? The erstwhile dictator was no friend of India, so no sympathies for him, that does not mean one supports the neo-imperialism of west.

However, India is supposed to guard its own interests. Terrorism sponsored by Pakistan is the real issue that should have been MMS' primary focus in UN.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles