Manmohan Singh an overrated economist and an underrated politician: BJP

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by afako, Jul 6, 2012.

1. afako

afako Regular Member

Bharatiya Janata Party leader Yashwant Sinha Friday attacked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, calling him an "overrated economist" and an "underrated politician".

Reacting after the prime minister assured the nation that economic growth will be restored, Sinha, who was the finance minister during the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) regime, said the prime minister was only a "consultant" to the government.

"He is an overrated economist and underrated politician," Sinha said. "The problem with Manmohan Singh has been that he has always acted as a consultant to the government, saying what should be done, what need not be done.

You know he has been prime minister for eight years, before that he was finance minister for five years and clearly, he had all the opportunity in the world to implement what he believes in," said Sinha. "Now, at the end of eight years, he cannot say this should be done and that should be done," he added. Sinha also said that the prime minister should not blame his government's failures on the previous NDA government.

"The mess is domestically created and it is the government which has created the mess. This is something which has to be understood. I went through his interview and I find that he is constantly offering alibis, you know, and the worst part of it is that he says they had to undo what we did, when we were in the government," said Sinha.

"As if all the problems in India from 1947 onwards can be laid at the door of the NDA government between 1998 and 2004. Why was India partitioned? Because of the NDA government. Why is the Kashmir problem there? Because of the NDA government," he said. In an interview published in the daily Hindustan Times, the prime minister said:

"There is no realisation that a reversal to an earlier era is neither possible nor desirable; even a neighbour like China has understood the logic of an open economy and is developing the institutional framework which is required for this". Manmohan Singh also refuted charges of corruption against his government, saying "I do not think there has been any explosion in corruption under my watch". Sinha said this was "laughable".

"These are the most laughable of all comments made so far. He has defended his corrupt ministers to the hilt, it's only when the Supreme Court used its stick that they gave up. Why is he protecting (Home Minister P.) Chidambaram? He protected (former telecom minister A.) Raja earlier," Sinha added.

Manmohan Singh an overrated economist and an underrated politician: BJP

Neil, Galaxy, maomao and 3 others like this.
  3. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

I completely agree with this.

A chauhan likes this.
  4. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

One thing I have not understood about this Govt is that every time there is a scam or faulty policy leading to a debacle, Manmohan Singh distances himself and gives the impression that he has had nothing to do with it, it is his Ministers who are at fault.

For the 2G Scam, he said it was the fault of the Coalition dharma.

For Black Money, he remained silent and looked wise as the Wise Owl on the Oak, who did not speak but watched.

For the manner in which the Anna Hazare Movement and Ramdev Fiasco, the blame was shoved onto Chidambaram.

And now the Budget (which is critical issue that decides the health of the Nation), he is appearing as if it was Pranab Mukherjee who was the sole character of this tragic comedy.

If the Ministers are self appointed islands of authority, where is the principle of 'collective responsibility'? And what is the post of the PM all about? Cosmetic as lipstick. Even lipstick makes some contribution - keeps the lips from being parched. What does the PM do is the question.

Is the PM not the Leader?

Isn't it the Leader who directs and conducts the activity of the team?

Therefore, if the team is losing, is it not the Leader who is responsible?

If a battle is lost, who is sacked? The Sepoy or the Commanding Officer?

Yes, he is an Economist. Well, he does have a Degree to prove it. But then, it appears that he is a theoretician and not a hands on economist, if the state of the Nation's economic health is anything to go by. It has nothing to do with global trends. UPA I was facing a global crisis too, but, in retrospect it appears the good work done till then possibly kept the Govt afloat.

Manmohan Singh is credited for good work under Narashima Rao. If indeed he is credited for it (as if others were not playing their role), it proves that he is no Leader but a Follower, for after all, he was guided, nay ordered maybe, by Narashima Rao, who himself was a visionary!

It is sad that a Govt voted in with such a resounding majority should prove to be so pathetic when in the UPA I they did well to a great extent!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
    parijataka and Galaxy like this.
  5. ajtr

ajtr Veteran Member Veteran Member

MMS is not overrated rather he is is first PM of india without any power to make effective policy changes.When Sonia is super PM and her kitchen cabinet unconstitutional NAC is running the policies then its obvious that economy will go to the drains.MMS did wonder as finance minster coz he had full support of PVNR.

6. Ray

BJP holds PM responsible for economic mess

The BJP on Friday attacked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for shifting the blame on former finance minister Pranab Mukherjee for the current economic mess.

The opposition party stated that he was “party” to all the decisions taken by the UPA government. Senior Congress leader Mukherjee had recently quit as finance minister to contest the presidential poll.

Reacting to the prime minister’s interview published in an English newspaper, senior BJP leader Yashwant Sinha, sharing his own experience as finance minister during the NDA regime, narrated that a finance minister meets about five times with the prime minister to give shape to policy issues – including on tax reforms and fiscal deficit – before presenting a budget.

“Singh passed the buck on finance minister to come out clean. This is something he has done all throughout in his life,”
    Sinha charged, lowering the political blame game to a personal level.

During the press conference held on Friday at the BJP Ashoka Road office, Sinha used various occasions to take potshots at Singh, who is internationally perceived as a noted economist. He claimed that even his guru Dr I G Patel had once remarked that “he is an underrated politician and overrated economist.

“He is speaking as if he is chief consultant to government of India and not prime minister,” was Sinha’s another verbal whiplash.

However, Congress spokesperson Renuka Chaudhary said that Sinha’s jibe at the prime minister was his personal opinion.

The prime minister’s assertion that the challenging times the economy was facing was largely due to global developments, especially Eurozone crisis, too was assailed by the MP from Hazaribagh, Jharkhand.

The senior BJP leader took a leaf from a global economic research consultancy’s recent report—that said India’s economic troubles are mostly “self-inflicted” and the situation is unlikely to change till 2014 – to counter Singh’s attempt to hide his government’s policy paralysis.

The same report, he asserted, reveals that many economies which are far more open than India’s have taken less beating, indicating that sound domestic economic policies could have weathered out global fissures.

“Even today the government is living in denial by attributing the economic failures to global phenomenon,” Sinha charged.

The BJP leader mocked the government, saying that it appeared that all the problems the country was facing was due to the six-year-rule of the NDA. “If that is so, I’m sorry,” he said.

The prime minister, replying to a question on the perception about policy paralysis in the government had told the newspaper that they had to undo various decisions taken by the NDA government.

Sinha also pointed out that the prime minister’s view on various subjects concerning the nation confirmed what the party had been saying for long.

BJP holds PM responsible for economic mess

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  7. maomao

maomao Veteran Hunter of Maleecha Senior Member

I don't know what he is, however MMS is a disaster of a puppet PM and a shameless person for sure! Yousaf Raza Gillani has resigned but this character is sticking his ass to the chair! Why?

8. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

In the so-called Coalgate it was Manmohan Singh as PM and Coal Minister who sanctioned the coal blocks to groups at throwaway prices. This coal block policy was framed in the 90's to give coal to companies/entrepreneurs engaged in building infrastructure to help generate captive power for their projects and fast track infrastructure development.

Under UPA-I these coal blocks were given away to businesses not having anything to with infrastructure development and who promptly resold the coal blocks at a tidy profit or mined and sold the coal at good prices. So UPA-I was not entirely clean, also the 2G and CWG scam that were brewing under the surface were already taking place at the time.

I think Manmohan Singh can no longer hide behind excuses like `coalition dharma`, I am clean but my ministers are not, I did not know anything, the PMO did not keep me in the loop, etc etc. Time has come to clean the stables of UPA/Congress.

maomao likes this.
  9. ani82v

ani82v Senior Member Senior Member

He is sticking his ass because of democratic system which allows him to rule for 5 years. If people are dumb to vote this party again in the next election, then there is nobody to blame.

KS likes this.
  10. Ray

Manmohan is a sick and insipid Sikh.

He has shown no quality of the Sikhs I know.

I feel let down.

p2prada likes this.
  11. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

There are such things as collective responsibility of the cabinet-- so I learned in civics in school.
    There is such a thing as leadership where you take all the flack for your subordinates and let them take the credit and the rewards-- so I have learned in life.

Unfortunately with our PM none of the above is applicable. He has been conveniently used as a shield by the Congress Party and it's supreme leader, the question is whether he has been a willing candidate all along or he got suckered into it. Only time or his autobiography will tell the full story.

12. Ray

The Congress which was once a political force synonymous to India is fading away because of lack of leadership and ideas!

A tired nag, at best!

Sad!

13. p2prada

p2prada Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Time for a regime change. Power is getting to Kangresses head.