Manmohan says he is doing his best, flays media

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Parthy, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Parthy

Parthy Air Warrior Senior Member

A frustrated Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Wednesday denied "a growing perception" that his coalition government was under siege and said that he was doing his best to curb corruption.

In a free and frank interaction with a group of editors here, Manmohan Singh moaned that India's economic story would be hit because of "constant sniping" between the government and the opposition.

"I think there is a growing perception that this government is in siege, that we have not been able to deliver on our agenda," he said in his opening remarks.

"An atmosphere has been created in the country - and this I say with all humility - the role of the media today in many cases has become that of the accuser, the prosecutor and the judge."

This way, Manmohan Singh said, no parliamentary democracy could work.

The prime minister spoke his mind out amid growing corruption scandals that have badly dented the image of the Congress-led government that began its second five-year innings in 2009.

While admitting that some people may "deliberately do wrong things", he said it was vital to create an atmosphere where the governments, ministers and civil servants could work without fear.

"We take decisions in a world of uncertainty, and that's the perspective I think parliament, our CAG (Comptroller and Auditor General) and our media must adopt if this nation is to move forward."

The remarks followed a still unravelling corruption scandal involving allocation of second generation spectrum by his government that has landed a former cabinet minister, a key MP and some industrialists in jail. A prominent Congress leader is also in prison over corruption charges linked to last year's Commonwealth Games.

The prime minister warned that if an atmosphere of cynicism was created all round, "I think the growth impulses ... will not flourish."

And that, he said, "worries me".

Corruption, the economist-turned-politician admitted, "is a big issue. It has caught the imagination of the people, and we will deal with it."

Manmohan Singh said there were differences and "there will be differences" over how to battle corruption, "but there are mechanisms to resolves these differences".

He made a specific mention of both Gandhian Anna Hazare and yoga guru Baba Ramdev, who have taken to the streets campaigning against corruption and black money.

But he made it clear that while the government would introduce a strong Lokpal Bill to fight corruption, "it is for parliament to pass it or amend it and that right cannot be taken away".

In any case, the government had no magic wand, he underlined.

"We can deal with corruption, we can deal with black money but quite frankly it is wrong for anyone to assume there is a magic wand which will lead to an instant solution of these difficult societal problems," Manmohan Singh said.

The prime minister, who enjoys widespread respect for personal probity, made no effort to hide his frustration.

"In the situation today, day in day out we are described as the most corrupt government.

"There have been aberrations. But quite frankly I have been a civil servant all my life, except the last 20 years. What surprises me is not that there are corrupt civil servants but that despite all the temptations, so many of our civil servants remain honest and lead frugal lives and this is the mainspring that we have to tap.

"We must punish the wrong doers but we must not paint all civil servants as babus and contemptuously describe them as a despicable class," Singh said.

Manmohan says he is doing his best, flays media - The Times of India

3. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

He may say and he has permission of Sonia Gandhi to say so.

However, does India thinks so?

Even the Media interaction took place only when Chinabadam insisted that he speaks more often!

In fact, I saw a TV grab where he had extended his whole hand upward in a wave. Usually, he does a very limp Nazi salute.

4. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

MMS says he is doing his best but we don't see any action, all we see is more corruption scandals coming out every other day implicating his cabinet members. His silence and aloofness as a leader of a nations doesn't behoove his status. He should be more interactive with his countrymen - talk about his ideas and what he is doing to execute his ideas for this country. But we don't hear any such thing, all we hear is through congress party spokesmen who are nothing but dirty little weasels.

He should either come out of the shadow of Sonia madam and function independently or quit his job and save his reputation (of whatever is left).

5. Godless-Kafir

Godless-Kafir DFI Buddha Senior Member

Man Mohan flays media!! Actually someone should have slayed this male cow a long time ago. What the hell has he done so far? How much poverty and corruption has he reduced?

6. Ray

A cow has much to give to mankind.

I am yet to find a specie called a male cow! :rofl:

I would shed a tear for this poor man, Man Mohan, since he is not his own man.

A good man gone to seed because of the chicanery that is prevalent.

I am surprised that when he is in office, there can be a clamour for another joso to adorn the PM chair.

A total insult to the incumbent PM!

I would have resigned!!

Or held Digvijay and strung him up by the scruff of his neck.

Digvijay's outburst (and this is not the first of this chamcha) and Chinabadam's advice to speak up as a PM is all a game being played to demean the PM and build up the hype to have this undeserving scion of the Gandhi family,Rahul G, shoehorned into the PM's chair!

If it is destined to have a Nehru Gandhi as the PM, it is better to have Priyanka, who has a steady head and looks like the real Mrs Gandhi, than this bad luck charm Rahul who wherever he has gone has only heralded the biggest humiliation for the Congress in the hustings.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  7. sukhish

sukhish Senior Member Senior Member

this guy is becoming a liability , he should resign by himself.

8. Ray

He is not a liability.

It is his party's policy which is a liability.

See the way they manage issues by either bulldozing or by obfuscating so as to lead to confusion.

The Human Rights Commission has found Rahul G's claim of killings and rape in that village over Mayawati's highway as totally coc,k and bull.

See the unending scams and the way it is being covered by Sibal and his camp followers on the TV and otherwise.

Check the way our Chinabadam sorted out Ramdev (not that I like him, far from it) and I wonder if that woman thrashed up and critical in hospital is dead or not.

No sir, Mickey Manmohan is only Prisoner of Zenda!

9. GPM

GPM Tihar Jail Banned

He is an asset to Sonia. Once he is discredited hopelessly, yuvaraja will step in.

Media is easy to bash. When prices rose in Delhi, Dixit blamed media.