Manifesto, resident committees forgotten by BJP municipal corporation

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Singh, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

NEW DELHI: BJP, while seeking a second term, had promised to make municipal corporations more transparent, efficient and citizen-friendly in its manifesto. From bringing more services under e-governance, greater citizen participation in governance, social security card to unorganized sectors to developmental projects like 100 underground multi-level parking lots, they had held out the hope of a "behtar Dilli".

Almost two years later, the four-page long manifesto is gathering dust and the party has nothing to show for it. This is despite winning in all the three corporations. The collapse of the erstwhile MCD's prestigious e-governance project is the biggest letdown. Before the municipal elections, MCD was one of the few municipalities in the country to have successfully implemented e-governance and the first in the country to begin online filing of RTI queries. BJP had, in fact, vowed to bring more services under the project to "ensure transparency, eradicate corruption and speed up the delivery of services". Today, the website doesn't even have basic information like names of mayors, councillors, committee heads and important officials. Two years after the trifurcation, the three corporations are sharing the same website.

At a time when Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) is aggressively pushing for swaraj, BJP seems to have gone back on its promise of participatory governance. Though it formed resident ward committees (RWCs) in 272 wards in 2012, almost all are lying defunct.

These committees were meant to assist councillors in developmental works. "Despite resistance from many councillors, including some from BJP, we managed to hold a few meetings initially. However, after the civic polls, RWCs are not functional. According to the scheme, the committees had to submit a detailed report of its decisions to the mayor. None of the mayors now meets RWC members. We have approached them several times to revive them to not effect," said Atul Goyal, convenor, URJA, a non-profit organization of RWAs which played a key role in the formation of RWCs.

Similarly, social security cards for rickshawpullers, domestic workers, vendors and others in the unorganized sector for facilities like healthcare, education and insurance was just another poll sop that has been forgotten after the elections. Also, Rs 5,000 was promised to girls studying in class V in municipal schools. BJP leaders admit that these two promises can't be implemented but pass the blame on the Delhi government. "The court order doesn't allow us to give licenses to cycle-rickshaws, and the Delhi government stopped us from giving the money to girls as they already have the Laadli scheme,'' said Subhash Arya, leader of the house, South Delhi Municipal Corporation. But what about street vendors? Despite several court orders to resolve the tehbazaari issue, BJP, which has been in the saddle for seven years, has taken no concrete steps. The corporations recently formed a vending committee following Supreme Court orders.

The corporations have been driven by a single agenda: increasing revenue. And all the three corporations have achieved it in a short span. One wonders why providing basic services, as promised in its manifesto, and streamlining the existing system has turned into an uphill task.

Manifesto, resident committees forgotten by BJP's municipal corporations - Times Of India

3. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

Re: Manifesto, resident committees forgotten by BJP municipal corporat

Seriously ?? How many points BJP were made in manifesto ?? And I get it that they didn't implement 2 points till now but how many of you actually thought they're going to fulfill all the points ??

4. Known_Unknown

Known_Unknown Devil's Advocate Stars and Ambassadors

So if you know they're chors and they're not going to implement the promises on the basis of which they are fighting the election, why vote for them?

You may know that all politicians are dishonest, but the question is what are you going to do about it. If you exhibit apathy and vote for them anyway, and then turn back and defend their dishonesty (!!), then the country will eventually go to the dogs.

5. PredictablyMalicious

PredictablyMalicious Punjabi Senior Member

It's not his fault. MOst Indians are compelete idiots and lack internal consistency in their thoughts. Sorry but this is what I've observed.

6. Singh

This was BJP's record card for 07-12 performance

[​IMG]

==

For 12-17, their manifesto was about 4 pages long. They have removed it from their website.

This is all I could find

"The party's manifesto , released on Sunday, promised Rs.5,000 for all Class V girl students, an ambitious master plan for drainage and regularisation of unauthorised colonies and social security cards for the underprivileged among other things. Assuring a more transparent and accountable system, the ruling party in the undivided MCD also assured simplification of the process for getting building plans and bye-laws by ending "inspector raj" and corruption with a new online system. BJP, the ruling party in the undivided Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD), also assures simplification of the process of getting building plans and bye-laws by ending "inspector raj and corruption" by introducing an online system. To woo voters hailing from Bihar, the party promises to make Chhat pooja a holiday besides providing washrooms and changing rooms in pooja sites.
    For senior citizens, widows and disabled, the BJP talks about hiking monthly pension from Rs 1,000 to Rs 1,500 and increasing the number of beneficiaries from two lakh to three lakh. Elderly people will also get recreation areas in every ward. Releasing the party manifesto, BJP national vice president M Venkaiah Naidu "

:pound::pound:

@Known_Unknown
    To be honest nobody bothered reading BJP MCD manifesto, their performance has been abysmal. I still voted for them because of TINA factor.

I didn't expect BJP to fulfill any promises, but I didn't expect them to screw the all ready screwed MCD further. However, looking at AAP's 3 week performance, I don't think BJP has done as much in the last 7 years.

I would love to be proved wrong by any Delhite.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    Known_Unknown likes this.
  7. Singh

That's why I am supporting AAP.

For the last 5-6 years BJP and Congress have repeatedly called for CAG audit and then scuttled their own demands in the assembly.
    Within days of coming to power, AAP ordered CAG audit. Distcoms lost their appeal against this decision, and CAG is now auditing them. And this is from people whose combined political experience is less than Sheila Dickshit's or Harshvardhan's.

Honestly, AAP has done more in the first 2-3 weeks of coming to power, then BJP has done in MCD in all its terms.

I can say about Delhi politicians, they not only don't have political will but they are incompetent, and ineffective.

Known_Unknown likes this.
  8. Singh

9. VIP

LoL...This is your argument ?? Don't vote any politicians then. I mean you vote on the basis of manifesto is the most moronic thing you can find around. Whom do you vote btw?? Do they fulfill all the points of their manifestos ?? Nobody's defending the so called dishonesty of politicians. I'm asking a genuine questions to people who are raising this point suddenly to bash BJP.and also to defend their own U-turns and lies.

10. VIP

So you already know that manifestos are bullshytea and still you are crying that BJP didn't fulfill promises declared during MCD election..... Wah re paji. What's the purpose of this thread then ??

11. Twinblade

Twinblade Senior Member Senior Member

Quoted for astounding amount of inherent stupidity. A manifesto is the vision document which a party presents when it asks for your support during elections. If you don't vote on the basis of promises being made in the manifesto, then what do you vote for ?

rugved and Singh like this.
  12. Singh

I am not shocked, iirc, you supported killings of muslims to teach them a lesson ?

I agree, that is why if you are a Dalit vote for BSP, a yadav vote for SP, a Tamil vote for Tamil Parties etc.

I would Vote for the party that has made the most effort to fulfill its manifesto whilst not screwing up.

13. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Deliver or Perish!

The only good thing about Modi is that he has till now not spoken of the vote catching 'community', communal', 'caste' vote catchers.

I detest the division of India on these despicable lines.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  14. Singh

You vote for Modi, stupid. :pound:

15. Singh

No, I didn't know that. And thanks to AAP, I know realize what political will is.

:shocked: I should not expect anything from BJP's promises ?

I am surprised that you are not surprised at this behaviour of BJP ?

16. Ray

The options are so limited.

Rahul Gandhi for rhetoric.

Kejriwal for being a do gooder, but implementation more on the lines of agitation politics.

Modi on governance, but with a baggage that seems to haunt.

So, who do we have?

Manifestos?

Not worth the paper they are written on!

Truism.

Vote should be on results. Manifestos and promises are bogus dreams.

Those who have delivered to some extent, while others made money instead, are the ones who show a flicker of expectations fulfilled to some extent.

17. PredictablyMalicious

PredictablyMalicious Punjabi Senior Member

Can you reply to my pm?

18. Singh

Deliver or Perish on what basis ?

@VIP is saying manifestos are bullshit, and one can't expect any party to deliver on them.

19. Ray

Issues of governance that may not be totally perfect but better than before.

Failure means being shown the door.

For instance, I have been to MP.

It took 6 and 1/2 hours to travel from Bhopal to Saugor earlier over rutted roads. 183.0 km.

Now you can do it in 2 hrs 30 mins.

Delivering, but can still be made better.

20. Singh

Sir,

I have a divergent view. There are some basic duties that all Govts have to fulfill, on top of that they have to deliver on their manifestos.

Performance has to be judged on manifestos, not if the Govt has done its basic job.

No wonder, with the kind of expectations we have and the kind of political parties and their fanboys we have, India has been so slow with reforms.

We, maybe, are inferior.

21. Ray

Well, you have a point.

However, having seen the election promises (never read the Manifestos) and found that they were all hot air an total lies, I have not wasted my time, which was more precious to me than the Manifestos and the promises.

Look at the whole issue from the Jai Jawan, Jai Kisan Days. Kisans were looked after, they are votes, but not the jawan!

Roti Kapda aur Makan. None fulfilled, but Rahul Gandhi seems to suggested that they all have been.

Garibi Hatao, It has proved to be a whole lot of horse pukkey.

Aam Admi. If someone was serious about the Aam Admi, then there would have been no spectacular rise of the Aam Admi Party.

Therefore, I don't believe any political party and its hot air before the elections.

I judge them by what they put on the ground.