Mamata announces Rs 2500 monthly stipend for Muslim Imams

Discussion in 'Religion & Culture' started by Galaxy, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

Mamata Banerjee announces Rs 2500 monthly stipend for imams

Kolkata: With panchayat elections barely a year away , West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has announced monthly stipend of Rs 2500 for the State’s 30,000 Imams. Continued to rain sops on the State’s Muslim community, she also announced that the imams children would also get other facilities like housing schemes and funds for education.

“We don’t have funds as we have to shell out Rs 22,000 crore towards payment of interest on loans taken by the earlier Left Front Government. Still I have the heart to do something for my Muslim brothers and sisters,” the Chief Minister told a huge gathering of Imams at Netaji Indoor Stadium in Kolkata.

Promising to provide land in their villages for building their homes, she said that her government is committed for the growth of the community.

“The government will build 20,000 houses for the community,” she added.

In order to avoid legal hassles the allowance would be paid through the Ministry of Wakf the Chief Minister said. “As I am not conversant with the Muslim ways I have decided to create a task force” that would include senior Imams, Muslim leaders like Toha Siddiqui, Shahi Imam of Tipu Sultan’s mosque and a retired judge who would recommend their suggestions to the Chief Minister.

The State Government was already doing a survey on the Muslim community of the State so as to give them effective recommendation as mentioned in the Sacchhar Committee report.

http://post.jagran.com/mamata-banerjee-announces-rs-2500-monthly-stipend-for-imams-1333533792

3. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

Secular Mamta ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

She will do anything to remain in power. During my recent visit to kolkata I found that her popularity levels seem to be falling very fast. Many of my friends were wondering why did they vote for her in the first place.

5. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Great stuff.

I believe she did her graduation in Islamic history!

How much is she giving to the Brahmin priest and the Padres of the Christian faith?

Nothing?

Why?

Are they rolling in wealth?

She has recognised Urdu as a language of Bengal.

Poor goat does not know that Bangladesh came into being just because the Bengali Muslims did not accept Urdu as their language.

She marvels with her stupidity and populist senseless gimmicks!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
    parijataka and utubekhiladi like this.
  6. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

She had the idiocacy to tell that also....A true :facepalm: moment, if there was one.

parijataka likes this.
  7. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

She does seem to be making all gaffes. Mamata's only plus point her lack of corruption I think. Interesting times ahead for West Bengal. CPM and Congress may pick up popularity if Momota didi continues to not perform. Left might have damaged Bhashte Bengal in 34 years but unless Didi shows some concrete steps that she means business people will soon get tired of her.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  8. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

and ray sir told me that BJPis non existant in WB because bengalis are secular:notsure:

this does not look very secular to me:tsk:

parijataka likes this.
  9. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

I noticed one thing. In the opening post, the title of the article is "Mamata Banerjee announces Rs 2500 monthly stipend for imams," while the title of the thread is "Mamata announces Rs 2500 monthly stipend for Muslim Imams." Was it by accident the word 'Muslim' was added to the thread title when it does not exist in the original title of the article? Also, aren't all Imams Muslims?

10. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

i cant see her doing anything other than ruining her state. if not BJPsome center right party must come to bengal. thats their only way out:sad:

11. Tshering22

Tshering22 Sikkimese Saber Senior Member

See this is why people will excuse me for hating Secularists to the core. They are all the same: two-faced, biased, cheating, scheming, cowardly and treacherous.

Mad Indian likes this.
  12. lcatejas

lcatejas Regular Member

Gr8 news for illegal Bangladeshi.. it will be welcomed :frusty: Ass#$%@# Mamta and our Politicians......

Vishwarupa and parijataka like this.
  13. warriorextreme

warriorextreme Senior Member Senior Member

14. ejazr

ejazr Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

The real facts behind this is that the funds for this are suppose to come from the West Bengal Wakf Boards. And this applies all over India to ONLY Wakf controlled mosques.

The Wakf Boards are more than capable of paying these Imams, but the govt. control and corruption in these Wakf boards is such that they keep making excuses that they have no funds. Recently there have been reports of multiple crores of scams in Karnataka and AP wakf lands and the same would be the case in West Bengal. In any case, the amount is so small that most likely the Wakf Boards and not the govt. will be paying these salaries. But because the Wakf boards are controlled by the govt., Mamata di can shrewdly take credit for this.

This is similar to Govt. controlled Temple trusts particularly in the south. Govt. appointed individuals have a say in how the trust runs and the temple priests are paid monthly salaries through this trust. Not very different from what is being asked here. Its not the govt. paying the priests salary but the income of the Temple properties doing so.

The All Indian Imam organisation actually took the Central and State Wakf boards to court and the Supreme Court in a 93 judgement ruled that the Wakf controlled mosques should consider the Imams as their employees. And its been almost 20 years that the judgement has still not been implemented. In other states like Haryana and NDA ruled Punjab, the judgment HAS been implemented so that the state wakfs pay basic salary to the Imams in those states. Here is a recent news report for Punjab (Wakf board hikes maulvi and imam salaries - Indian Express)

Again, confirmation that only Wakf board registered properties would get the Rs 2500 salary

Now having clarified that, should govt. control Wakf properties and be respondible for Imam Salaries or for that matter control Temple trusts and be respondible for Priests salaries. I think most would agree that it should not.

Wakf properties should be returned to private Muslims rather govt. appointing people to it. Maybe have some sort of shareholder setup where the local Muslim community can elect Wakf board memebers and run it like a corporations which provides an annual audit and financial statement for review. Unfortunately, the govt. continues to control the Wakf board and a lot of Wakf property is also under the control of ASI which keeps controls of properties like old Mosques e.t.c.

If govt. starts controlling properties and salaries, the next thing is that it will be vetting Friday sermons and other interference into religious affairs. The average Muslim gets no benefit and as can be seen here, salary to 1400 Imams at around Rs 2500 is basically becoming another albatross around the Muslim community's neck just when we are finally moving to get rid of the Haj subsidy.
    And the irony is that neither scheme was beneficial to the socio-economic upliftment of the average Muslim but became a banner of "Muslim appeasement" nonetheless.

Some Muslim organisations have come out openly in opposition because this scheme is being seen as a way for political parties to influence Imams who are usually very poor anyways.

http://twocircles.net/2011jun18/muslim_women_personal_law_board_opposes_govt_salary_imams.html

For those who want to read the operative part of the 1993 Supreme Court judgment
    http://imamindia.tripod.com/main/judge.html

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012