Malaysian model accepts flogging for drinking beer

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by I-G, Jul 25, 2009.

1. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Malaysian model accepts flogging for drinking beer
    AP 24 July 2009, 01:27am IST

KUALA LUMPUR: A Malaysian woman sentenced to flogging for drinking beer has accepted the Islamic court’s order, saying she wants the punishment to
    be carried out soon, news reports said on Thursday.

Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno, a 32-year-old model, was arrested on charges of drinking beer after Islamic authorities raided a hotel nightclub last year. She was sentenced on Monday to six lashes with a rattan cane after pleading guilty in the Shariah High Court.

Kartika said that she wants authorities to carry out the penalty quickly so that she can resume her life with her husband and two children. “I will accept this earthly punishment,” she said.
    Malaysian model accepts flogging for drinking beer - South Asia - World - NEWS - The Times of India

3. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Malaysian woman accepts flogging for drinking beer
    Agencies
    Published: July 23, 2009, 11:16

Kuala Lumpur: A Malaysian woman sentenced to flogging for drinking beer has accepted the Islamic court's order, saying she wants the punishment to be carried out soon, news reports said on Thursday.

Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno, a 32-year-old model, was arrested on charges of drinking beer after Islamic authorities raided a hotel nightclub last year.

She was sentenced Monday to six lashes with a rattan cane after pleading guilty in the Shariah High Court.

Consuming alcohol is a religious offense in Malaysia only for Muslims, who make up nearly two-thirds of the population. Offenders are prosecuted in Shariah courts, which handle cases mainly related to family and moral issues for Muslims. Most alcohol offenders are fined, but the law also provides for a three-year prison term and caning.

Some politicians and women's rights activists have criticized the religious court's sentence, calling it too harsh.

Caning is usually reserved for men in various crimes ranging from rape to bribery. But several Islamic lawyers have insisted that the penalty for Kartika is fair, saying she will be whipped with a thin rattan cane that does not cause severe pain.

Kartika told reporters in her northern home state of Perak on Wednesday that she wants authorities to carry out the penalty quickly so that she can resume her life with her husband and two children.

"I will accept this earthly punishment," the national news agency Bernama quoted her as saying. "I want to advise youngsters to learn from my experience, not to repeat my mistake and cause shame to yourself and family."

Kartika's lawyer could not immediately be contacted Thursday.

Rattan canes are made from palm plants common in tropical parts of Asia. They have been used for decades for corporal punishment, but offenders in serious crimes are flogged with thicker canes that can cause bleeding and scars.

Kartika was the only Muslim caught in last year's raid at the Pahang nightclub. Malaysian clubs and lounges typically serve alcohol and are not legally required to check if customers are Muslim before serving them, so the hotel nightclub operators were not charged with any offense.

Gulfnews: Malaysian woman accepts flogging for drinking beer

4. Avinash R

Avinash R Regular Member

^ How about appealing for overturning the sentence instead of meekly accepting the punishment which will set a dangerous precedent?

5. S.A.T.A

S.A.T.A Senior Member Senior Member

Hot model and spanking in the prison,the prison guards will have their day made.
    Its sad, Malaysia once used to be a liberal country while still being religious.

6. peacecracker

peacecracker Regular Member

^Yes.Malayasia and Indonesia are gone for fundamentalists.last I saw the 2 muslim girls of indonesia who were beheaded by the fanatics for their conversion to christianity.really a sad situation.

7. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Malaysia woman facing caning wants it done publicly

Elizabeth Looi
    The Straits Times
    Publication Date: 20-08-2009

A Muslim woman who has been sentenced to six strokes of the rotan for drinking beer has asked for the punishment to be carried out in public, not in a prison in Selangor.

Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno, who is set to be caned next week, said she should be punished in public if the Islamic court had intended for it to be a lesson to all Muslims.

But religious experts, including the Malaysian Syariah Lawyers Association and the Islamic adviser to the Prime Minister, said public flogging is unnecessary, as long as the offender has learnt her lesson.

"I think the punishment is fair, but it should be done in public for everyone to see so that people will learn. Let's be transparent," Kartika, 32, told The Straits Times in a phone interview yesterday.

The Pahang Syariah High Court yesterday issued a warrant for the mother of two to be remanded in Kajang prison from next Monday.

She is to be caned within seven days of the remand at the Selangor prison. This means the punishment will be carried out during the fasting month, which starts on Saturday.

The punishment will make her the first woman in Malaysia to be caned.

Kartika, a Malaysian who is married to a Singaporean, was sentenced to six strokes and fined 5,000 ringgit (US$1,380) for drinking in a hotel in Cherating, Pahang, while on holiday with friends two years ago. She pleaded guilty and paid the fine.

Under Malaysian syariah law, an offender who drinks alcohol can receive up to six strokes, be fined up to 5,000 ringgit ($1,400)or jailed for three years.

Being caned under the Islamic law in Malaysia is unlike the civil corporal punishment.

Under the syariah law, a male offender stands, while a female offender sits with her feet tucked in, during the caning. The officer must not raise his hand above his shoulder when caning the woman, so that the caning strength is lighter.

In civil punishment, women are exempted from flogging. For men who get whipped, they are hit on the buttocks with a rotan that breaks their bare skin and draws blood with each stroke.

Kartika will not be caned in public as the punishment must be held within the law, explained Pahang state syariah deputy public prosecutor Saiful Idham Sahimi.

'The caning cannot be done according to their liking. The government must first gazette a public place if a punishment is to be carried out there,' he said.

"At the moment, Kajang prison is the most suitable place, and the prison department will mete out the punishment."

Public caning is not something that the government may want to introduce, as it attracts negative publicity for the country.

Women politicians and non-governmental organisations have criticised the punishment for Kartika. Some religious experts also argue that the sentence is too harsh for a first-time offender.

Abdullah Mohd Zain, the religious adviser to the Prime Minister, argued that the sentence is mild compared with the 40 strokes of the rotan during the Prophet's time.

"We are just trying to teach Muslims that drinking is bad. Why does it matter whether the caning is done in the open or behind closed doors?" he said.

Malaysia woman facing caning wants it done publicly

8. Antimony

Antimony Regular Member

Edited on the request of a member

9. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Yes and whoever are involved should be punished .

10. mattster

mattster Respected Member Senior Member

Malaysia - a country slowing that is moving backwards in time

i was born and raised in Malaysia....even though I now live in the US.

Malaysia used to be a moderate country with a very moderate form of Islam, but ever since the rise of Political Islam in the global stage; Malaysia has slowly been going down the same hopeless path.

I dont know what it is about Islamic countries - they seem to be fixated with women's clothes, controlling their women, and trivial issues like alcohol consumption.

When i was living there it was very uncommon to see women with their hair covered or almost unheard of to see someone with the face covered. Today about 30 years later almost 80% of Muslim women cover their hair.

Race relations between Malays, Chinese and Indians has always been poor but it has gotten far worse in recent years.

Recently they have made news by grabbing dead bodies of famous Hindus in malaysia, claiming that they converted to Islam before their death.

The East Coast states in Malaysia are slowly becoming Islamic shariah ruled states.

They have substituted their own inherently more tolerant Malay culture with an Arabist Islamic culture which is backward and less tolerant.

More and more Non-Malays(indians & chinese) are leaving the country to never return. The level of corruption has increased tremendously - people have no faith in the Police or Judiciary any more. They are all instruments of the ruling Malay party.

On the positive side - the food is still great !!

11. ahmedsid

ahmedsid Top Gun Senior Member

Stay On Topic, Dont Bring in Orrisa, Gujrat etc. This is not the Thread. And Natarajan, Dont call Death Negligible, Death of a single person is as horrific as death of a million. Its not respectful to the dead!

12. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

I was in Malaysia and they are very liberal people.

The Muslim girls wear the tudung (head scarf) with see through blouses and jeans and the men also sport beards but they have very little hair growth and it looks comical!

When they enter a bar they teake off their tudung and have beer or whatever.

If the Moral Police arrives all have to show their ID card and that is when the problems arise.

The children of the Datuks however escape as they are highly connected!

13. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Sir,

Malaysia is amongst the more liberal muslim state but over the past few decades they have become more and more radicalised.
    First it was with the Ultras who wanted Malays to be at the forefront in economy and now its the Islamists who have an issue with everything non muslim.

14. 1.44

1.44 Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009 Senior Member

No need for Amnesty aid on caning: Malaysian model

A Muslim model yesterday brushed aside an appeal by human rights group Amnesty International to Malaysian authorities not to cane her, saying she is ready to face the penalty for drinking beer.
    Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno, a 32-year-old mother of two, insisted she is ready to be lashed six times with a rattan cane next week for breaching the Muslim-majority country's Shariah law, which forbids Muslims to consume alcohol.

"I want to respect the law," Kartika said in a telephone interview from her northern home state of Perak. "Who am I to question the Islamic authorities' laws? That is beyond me."

Kartika is to become the first Malaysian woman to be caned in prison after she was arrested in a raid for drinking beer at a hotel lounge last year and sentenced by a Shariah court in July in what was considered a warning to other Muslims to abide by religious laws.

Amnesty International earlier Friday urged authorities to "immediately revoke the sentence to cane her and abolish the practice of caning altogether."

"Caning is a form of cruel, inhuman and degrading punishment and is prohibited under international human rights law," it said in a statement.

Government lawyer Saiful Idham Sahimi said earlier this week the penalty was appropriate because drinking was a serious offense for Muslims. Islamic authorities insist that the purpose of the caning is to educate rather than punish. They say the rattan cane to be used on Kartika will be smaller and lighter than the one used for men and that she will remain clothed. The prison official who canes her is also supposed to use very little force.

Men convicted of civil crimes such as rape and bribery in Malaysia are caned on their bare buttocks, breaking the skin and leaving permanent scars.

Kartika said four close relatives, including her father and sister, have requested permission to witness her being caned in a women's prison sometime next week. Officials have indicated the request would be granted, she said.

She also asked for the caning to be done publicly to send a clear message to Muslims that they should shun alcohol, but authorities refused, citing official procedures.

Officials are scheduled to take Kartika to the prison Monday.

The law provides for a three-year prison term and caning for Muslims caught drinking, but most offenders are fined. Drinking is legal for non-Muslims.

No need for Amnesty aid on caning: Malaysian model - Taiwan News Online

15. 1.44

1.44 Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009 Senior Member

She must be under tremendous pressure to accept this meekly.If they can go to the extent of flogging i wonder what they'll do if she refuses.

16. ahmedsid

ahmedsid Top Gun Senior Member

There is nothing she can do, If she refuses she will forcibly get flogged, otherwise, they will be a bit relaxed and not tie her up and flog!!!

17. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

August 24, 2009 16:19 PM

Model's Caning Deferred Due To Fasting Month

KUANTAN, Aug 24 (Bernama) -- The caning of model, Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno, who was ordered to receive six lashes of the rottan and fined RM5,000 for drinking beer, has been deferred until after the fasting month.

Pahang Religious Affairs, Dakwah, Unity and NGOs Exco chairman Datuk Mohd Sahfri Abdul Aziz said the state Religious Department (JAIP) had received a directive from the Attorney General's office to defer the punishment until the fasting month was over.

"However, the sentence will remain the same," he said here Monday.

Kartika who was sentenced to six lashes of the rottan and fined RM5,000 for the offence was scheduled to be taken to the Kajang women's prison today to undergo her caning punishment.

According to reports, JAIP officers had gone to Kartika's house in Sungai Siput, Perak but left 30 minutes later after receiving the orders from their 'higher' authorities.

Kartika, 32, a mother of two, was arrested during a raid at the Legend Hotel lounge in Cherating at about 11.40pm on July 20, last year, for breaching Shariah law, which forbids Muslims from consuming alcohol.

On Aug 18, Syariah Court judge Datuk Abdul Rahman Yunus found Kartika guilty of the offence, and handed out the punishment, seen the first of its kind in the country.

-- BERNAMA

BERNAMA - Model's Caning Deferred Due To Fasting Month