Major Uranium Find in Rajasthan

john70

Country flag
On August 28, 2012, Atomic Energy Commission Chairman R.K. Sinha announced the discovery of a large Uranium deposit at Rohil in Rajasthan's Sikar district.

On August 28, 2012, Atomic Energy Commission Chairman R.K. Sinha announced the discovery of a large Uranium deposit at Rohil in Rajasthan's Sikar district. Estimated at 5,185 tonnes, the Rohil deposit would be the the fourth largest in the country after Tummalapalle, Chitrial and Peddagattu extension in Andhra Pradesh. The new site is close to the Rohil North region, which has already been found to have a deposit of about 381 tonnes. According to Sinha, the estimate of the deposit is preliminary; more extensive surveys would be made to ascertain the actual width and depth of the field. As of June, 2012, the Department's Atomic Minerals Directorate for Exploration and Research established a total deposit of 1.84 lakh tonnes of the uranium ore resources in different parts of the country.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Very Good news but when will mining start and how much money will the politicians make in allotment of these blocks....

john70

Country flag
Very Good news but when will mining start and how much money will the politicians make in allotment of these blocks....
Luckily NOT FOR Uranium mines !!!! ONly Uranium Corporation of India Ltd (UCIL) which operates under the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) does this.

Uranium Production

Uranium Corporation of India Ltd (UCIL) which operates under the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), operates six underground mines, one opencast mine and two processing plants, in Jharkhand.

On April 20, 2012, UCIL commissioned the Tummalapalle uranium ore mine and processing plant in Kadapa district of Andhra Pradesh. The plant will produce 3,000 tonnes of ore per day. [via Hindu]

The process plant has been constructed next to the mine and will use alkali pressure leaching process to produce sodium di-uranate from the ore. It has high levels of automation.
Upcoming Mines

In February 2012, the PTI reported that India will commission a new uranium mine and a processing plant in the next few weeks.

Diwakar Acharya, Chairman and Managing Director of the Uranium Corporation of India Limited (UCIL) told the press in New Delhi, "The Mouldih mine in Jharkhand is almost ready and would be commissioned in a few weeks time."

According to plans, the Mouldih mine, when operational, is expected to deliver uranium ore upto 500 tonnes per day.

This ore will be processed at the Turamdih mill which has the capacity to process 3000 tonnes of uranium ore per day, Acharya said.

He said the capacity of the Turamdih mill was also being enhanced to 4500 tonnes per day.

"We are in the process of getting regulatory clearances," Acharya said.

trackwhack

Stupid press, 5000 tonnes of ore is not a MAJOR find. Are you kidding me?

Was this on some press website or is this a DAE press release?

Jim Street

Country flag
Stupid press, 5000 tonnes of ore is not a MAJOR find. Are you kidding me?

Was this on some press website or is this a DAE press release?
Sufficient enough to make tactical nuclear warheads. :D

Small nuclear plants. :D

Few nuclear submarines. :D

P.S. J/K

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Sufficient enough to make tactical nuclear warheads. :D

Small nuclear plants. :D

Few nuclear submarines. :D

P.S. J/K
you mean to say one requires small uranium for tactical warheads...... ???

Ha Ha Ha ah...

Jim Street

Country flag
you mean to say one requires small uranium for tactical warheads...... ???

Ha Ha Ha ah...
I mean small quantity...less tonnage...Boond Boond se ghadaa bharta hai :D

P.S. I already said Just Kidding.

vishwaprasad

Country flag
No matter if this is big find or small...I just feel that Govt should really look at the thorium stocks in the coastal land of rameshwaram....we are the thorium richest country in this world. Our nuclear energy and weapons programs should be based on home avail thorium. Instead of buying Uranium from western powers and Australia we should divert that money into our own thorium energy research. Once we are successful we can make money by supplying thorium to foreign countries who are looking to develop peaceful nuclear energy programs. Our corrupt leaders wont let this happen though.

pmaitra

On August 28, 2012, Atomic Energy Commission Chairman R.K. Sinha announced the discovery of a large Uranium deposit at Rohil in Rajasthan's Sikar district.

I am amazed. What does Chhota-Nagpur Plateau not have? It has every major mineral. Wow!

Now, we need to get back Aksai Chin.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
I am amazed. What does Chhota-Nagpur Plateau not have? It has every major mineral. Wow!

Now, we need to get back Aksai Chin.
Dream on! :lol: Aksai Chin is militarily indefensible! It's a low lying salt plain on the other side of the Himalayas!

We don't need Uranium anyway, India's nuke program is plutonium based.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
According to the map or the image above, the more dense deposits are in AKSAI CHIN, which is under the control of the Chinese. Is ths the reason that the Chinese got hold of Aksai Chin during the 1962 war?

Why din't INDIA try to know this?

pmaitra

According to the map or the image above, the more dense deposits are in AKSAI CHIN, which is under the control of the Chinese. Is ths the reason that the Chinese got hold of Aksai Chin during the 1962 war?

Why din't INDIA try to know this?
Nope. They got hold of it for a road.

[MAP]36.129002,78.974341 to Rutog, Ngari, Xizang (Tibet), China[/MAP]

chase

Tihar Jail
Banned
India has has more then half of world's thorium deposits. But India is pressurized not to build thorium reactors so that we can buy their uranium.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles