Mahinda Rajapaksa Is A Sinhalese Extremist – Lee Kuan Yew

saradiel1

I don't avoid comments.

But stupidity I avoid answering!

What is Ma comment?

Chinese Muslims have the name starting with Ma?

You are a Chinese Muslim? A Hui?

Are you the remnant of Zheng He, the Hui-Chinese court eunuch, mariner, explorer, diplomat and fleet admiral?
K, lets do a recap uncle. This is what u said,

Lee Kuan Yew is a very outspoken man.

He has displayed greater vision than many world leaders.

He is right when he feels the Tamils are more productive and competent that the Sri Lankese.

That is why the British brought Tamils to grow and cultivate and activate the tea industry of SL as SL labour were lazy and unimaginative.

Will the Tamils once again get into the mood to rebel?

It appears so and it is again going to be because of the shortsightedness of Rajapakse since he is planning to abrogate the 13th Amendment to the Constitution.

SL fears that in the event of the Tamil National Alliance being elected to rule the proposed NPC it could pave the way for a Tamil Eelam state since the TNA was allegedly notorious as an LTTE proxy during the hey days of the latter and SL feels that the victory gained by defeating the LTTE could be reversed. Elections to the NPC would be conducted in the predominantly Tamil majority districts of Jaffna, Vavuniya, Kilinochchi, Mullaitivu and Mannar.
To which I said to the bold parts

Lee is an extremely capitalist man and would be good to handle a coporate. He oppressed his opposition and totally controls judiciary of the country. His party has been in power since the beginning. He is hardly a vicionary....a good oppressive dynastical leader...

Actualy MR is more like him.

Abt British bringing Tamil labour from TN to SL, the british never tried to recruit Sinhalese, there was no record of it.

The reason Brits brough the tamils were they needed to change the demography and avoid any possibility of another uprising by the Kandyans after 1848 uprising.
It was forcibly taking sinhalese lands from them and breaking their strength so that another uprising can be avoided.

Also Tamils were useful cos they can be put into work giving very meagre amount of money. That was not less than slavery.
And how imaginative one should be to pick tea leaves?

And why did the Brits take Tamils to Fiji, South Africa, Mynmmar and even South America? Becasue of cheap labour and exploitation, avoiding any mass uprising.

Also the Tamils Lee is speaking abt is Jaffna Tamils, not the Indian Tamils. Indian Tamils are still the poorest community in SL.

Learn ur facts before talking :d

And where is MR abbrogating the 13th

And u didn't counter argue, instead u said,

Do you read newspapers?

Check it out!
And I said with so much respect,

Of course I read news papers not only that I live in it.

k what point are u actually highlighting? there are many I discussed in ma comment.

smart way to avoid an answer
But again no reply,

don't avoid comments.

But stupidity I avoid answering!

What is Ma comment?

Chinese Muslims have the name starting with Ma?

You are a Chinese Muslim? A Hui?

Are you the remnant of Zheng He, the Hui-Chinese court eunuch, mariner, explorer, diplomat and fleet admiral?

saradiel1

Have you been to Singapore?

Sellapan Ramanathan is a Singaporean politician who was the sixth President of the Republic of Singapore. Usually referred to as S. R. Nathan, he was first sworn in on 1 September 1999. In 2009, he surpassed Benjamin Sheares to become Singapore's longest-serving President.

SL is such bigoted country that one has to change one's religion to he able to be the head of the Govt..

SWRD was a Christians and he had to renounce Christianity and take Buddhism and then killed by the Buddhists themselves!

In India, Muslims are President and Sikhs are PMs and Chiefs of the Military along with other minorities in the military and high posts to include Chief Justices.

So, what are you talking about?

Any comments?
Any one can get into power in S'pore as long as he is in Lee's camp. You have to be a Lee's man to be well off there. Much like in SL where yes men of MR are prefered. That is how dynasties work.
And much of its executive power lies in the hands of a Prie minister. Lee runs the show in SG with his family. His familial rule and how he oppress his oponents is legendary. Remeber Jeyaratnam?

Lee is dynastuical and oppressive as much as MR is, only difference is MR is stupid.

Also Lee practice the policy where ethnic minorities would not be able to form a majority in any part if SG. If SL was to practice SG ways, we would have a sinhala majority in Jaffna and even Trinco.

Lee is a smart racist. thats all.

And abt changing religion,
there is no clause in the constitution of SL making it a must for a Lankan to be buddhist in order to be the head of state. Got it? That is propaganda spread by Tamil racists. If u are a Lankan, patriot and think above racial lines u can be the head of state of SL. Remember Kadiragamar? He would have become the Premier had not LTTE killed him.

Or wait Foreign minister of SL was a Tamil? but SL doesnt give chances ne.

And also Bandarnaike's changed religion much earlier they took to politics. They are opportunistic ppl. He didnt convert (we dont knw he really convert) just to become premier. Even MR's wife is a Catholic. I remember her being not allowed to enter a temple in india cos she is catholic.
And MR wordship Hindu gods and a frequent visitor of Thirupathi. Everyone in SL knows he is a staunch Hindu. but no one cares.

I remember first time Sonia Ghandhi elected to parliament ppl protested cos of her religion and she finally gave way to MM :D we too read newspapers Dadaji.

The idea u have abt SL society is very much screwed. Buddhists and Catholics are very much family. I have Catholics in my family. Many of the SL army were Catholic. Religion doesnt really play a role, it is the power and PR skills like in any third world country...

And it was the President who was a muslim in india, he was NOT elected. that says a thing! it is for PR, what matters is premeir....And we knw what happened when Sonia Ghandhi first got elecetd

saradiel1

Have you been to Singapore?

Sellapan Ramanathan is a Singaporean politician who was the sixth President of the Republic of Singapore. Usually referred to as S. R. Nathan, he was first sworn in on 1 September 1999. In 2009, he surpassed Benjamin Sheares to become Singapore's longest-serving President.

SL is such bigoted country that one has to change one's religion to he able to be the head of the Govt..

SWRD was a Christians and he had to renounce Christianity and take Buddhism and then killed by the Buddhists themselves!

In India, Muslims are President and Sikhs are PMs and Chiefs of the Military along with other minorities in the military and high posts to include Chief Justices.

So, what are you talking about?

Any comments?
Have u ansewered any of my comments?

saradiel1

I have given the genesis as to how the LTTE has risen.

Ask HeinzGud

The main reason is making Tamils second class since the Sri Lankan Buddhists are lazy and are not well equipped intellectually!

Sri Lankan are so lazy and unimaginative that they British had to import labour to run the tea industry of Sri Lanka!
why should I ask Heinz, this is between u and me. Bring it on sir, lets start the genesis....

Being Lazy is not a crime and less intellectual (according to u) is not a crime and it doesnt give any one right to chase the ppl away and bring foreign labour (as slaves).
ppl in ancient lankan defended their territory and built a civilization, one of the earliest hydraulic civilizations ever. We remained sovereign until British came in 1815. We defeated British as well, it was through diplomacy and deception British took over SL.
Our ppl grew and maintained acres of paddyfield and became the granery of East at one time. Those ppl neednt foreign labour and can well dig their soil and we still do that.

Kandyans didnt agree to be slaves in their own lands. They are a proud ppl.

Answer these qns,
1. How is being imaginative helpful in picking tea leaves?
2. why did Brits took Tamil labour to countries like South Africa, Mynmmar, Fiji? Were the natives there lazy too?
3. Give me a reliable source which says Brits tried to recruit Sinhala ppl to work in estates?

Atleast counter argue my points without hanging on racist slurs.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Any one can get into power in S'pore as long as he is in Lee's camp. You have to be a Lee's man to be well off there. Much like in SL where yes men of MR are prefered. That is how dynasties work.
And much of its executive power lies in the hands of a Prie minister. Lee runs the show in SG with his family. His familial rule and how he oppress his oponents is legendary. Remeber Jeyaratnam?

Lee is dynastuical and oppressive as much as MR is, only difference is MR is stupid.

Also Lee practice the policy where ethnic minorities would not be able to form a majority in any part if SG. If SL was to practice SG ways, we would have a sinhala majority in Jaffna and even Trinco.

Lee is a smart racist. thats all.

And abt changing religion,
there is no clause in the constitution of SL making it a must for a Lankan to be buddhist in order to be the head of state. Got it? That is propaganda spread by Tamil racists. If u are a Lankan, patriot and think above racial lines u can be the head of state of SL. Remember Kadiragamar? He would have become the Premier had not LTTE killed him.

Or wait Foreign minister of SL was a Tamil? but SL doesnt give chances ne.

And also Bandarnaike's changed religion much earlier they took to politics. They are opportunistic ppl. He didnt convert (we dont knw he really convert) just to become premier. Even MR's wife is a Catholic. I remember her being not allowed to enter a temple in india cos she is catholic.
And MR wordship Hindu gods and a frequent visitor of Thirupathi. Everyone in SL knows he is a staunch Hindu. but no one cares.

I remember first time Sonia Ghandhi elected to parliament ppl protested cos of her religion and she finally gave way to MM :D we too read newspapers Dadaji.

The idea u have abt SL society is very much screwed. Buddhists and Catholics are very much family. I have Catholics in my family. Many of the SL army were Catholic. Religion doesnt really play a role, it is the power and PR skills like in any third world country...

And it was the President who was a muslim in india, he was NOT elected. that says a thing! it is for PR, what matters is premeir....And we knw what happened when Sonia Ghandhi first got elecetd
It is universal that anyone who is connected gets a better chance at the hustings and political appointments.

In Singapore, the Prime Minister is elected not by the citizens but rather by the members of the ruling political party. The ruling party has a greater number of Chinese.

Why be selective and mention only Jeyeratnam? Workers Paerty Chairman Wong Hong Toy too was indicted for falsifying the Worker Party accounts. Of course, acquittal came later.

And anyway, political vendetta is nothing new in Asian politics.

Sri Lanka is not practising so brazenly, as per your understanding of Singapore's political matrix, the political style you ascribe to Singapore. But it is doing things in a more sinister way to ensure that the Tamils do not get equal opportunities. Sri Lanka is addressing the root so that no Tamil grows of stature. I am sure you are aware of the discriminatory ways how equal opportunities are denied to Tamils.

You may not ask Heinz Gud, but then I cannot reproduce all the issues for every Sri Lankan posters the same, as and when the surface on the scene!

Now, can it be told as to why a man called Solomon West Ridgeway Dias Bandaranaike, born a Christian but converted to Buddhism when he joined politics?

Could it be because overflowing religiosity of the country has always influenced the shape of politics and governance of Sri Lanka?

This is demonstrated by how any presidential candidate with significant chances of winning the election conducts his/her campaign. Receiving the 'blessings' of Maha Sanga and other religious prelates is a must. They also spend a lot of time participating in the religious ceremonies of various faiths and then those sessions are given a wide publicity in media. Even after winning, constant appeasement of prelates of every religion with clear favoritism to Buddhists is the norm. Much of the broadcast time in government run media is spent on showing the president offering flowers, participating in pririth chanting ceremonies, Bodhi Puja etc. This has been the case ever since presidential system was introduced to Sri Lanka in 1979. Pledge to protect Buddhism from unnamed enemies is a usual election promise. Lip service to other religions is also made in the sides. All this appears pretty normal to Sri Lankans in Sri Lanka who have not seen anything different for the last many years.

By Kadirgamar, you mean Lakshman Kadirgamar, the Tamil Christian politician?

May I remind you that following the victory of the United People's Freedom Alliance in the 2 April 2004 Sri Lankan legislative elections, he was mentioned as a possible candidate for Prime Minister of Sri Lanka, but on 6 April President Kumaratunga appointed Mahinda Rajapaksa to the post.

And you blame Lee of Singapore for being racial!

You find Sri Lanka having a Tamil Christian Foreign Minister some great example of Sri Lankan giving equal opportunities? You must be joking!

While to decry Singapore as racist. Here is what the Singapore Govt has achieved on equal opportunities:

Presidents of Singapore

The late Chengara Veetil Devan Nair (1923–2005) – Singapore's third President (1981–1985) and former head of the National Trades Union Congress, the umbrella body for trades unions in Singapore. Widely seen as the founder of the modern trades union movement in Singapore. During Singapore's brief membership of Malaysia, Nair was the only People's Action Party (PAP) member to win a national seat in the Federal Parliament in Kuala Lumpur. He was from a Malayali Hindu background and married to a South Indian Singaporean Hindu.

Mr Sellapan Ramanathan (1924– ) – Singapore's sixth President from 1999 to 2011. He was formerly a senior civil servant, serving as Permanent Secretary at the Home Affairs and Foreign Affairs Ministries. He was also Director of the Security and Intelligence Division, The Straits Times newspaper, Singapore Press Holdings and Singapore Mint. From 1990 to 1996, he was Ambassador to the United States, and subsequently an Ambassador-at-Large. He is an Indian Tamil Hindu married to a Bengali Singaporean Hindu.

Cabinet ministers

The late Sinnathamby Rajaratnam (1915–2006) – Singapore's first Foreign Minister, Culture Minister and Senior Minister, as well as a former Labour Minister and Deputy Prime Minister. Widely regarded as one of the core members of the "old guard", or the founding fathers of Modern Singapore, he cofounded the People's Action Party as well as ASEAN. In the wake of the 1964 Race Riots in Singapore, he wrote the Singapore National Pledge, which enshrines the ideals of the nation. He was from a Sri Lankan Tamil Hindu background and was married to a Hungarian woman. Both were secular agnostics.

Mr Suppiah Dhanabalan (1937- ) - Current Chairman of DBS Bank and Temasek Holdings. former Minister of Trade and Industry, National Development, Foreign Affairs, Culture and Community Development in the 1980s and 1990s. He was publicly mentioned by Singapore's first Prime Minister as one of the four men he considered as his successor, but he decided against Dhanabalan as he felt Singapore was 'not ready' for a non-Chinese Prime Minister. He is an Indian Tamil Baptist married to a Chinese Singaporean Baptist.

Prof Shunmugam Jayakumar (1939- ) - Co-ordinating Minister for National Security. Former Minister of Law, Labour, Home Affairs and Foreign Affairs. Member of the ASEAN Eminent Persons Group, tasked with drafting an ASEAN Charter. Previously Dean of the Law School at the National University of Singapore and Ambassador to the UN (1971–1974). He is an Indian Tamil Hindu married to an Indian Tamil Hindu.

Mr Tharman Shanmugaratnam - Currently Singapore's Deputy Prime Minister, Mr Shanmugaratnam was Singapore's first Indian Minister for Education and later Minister for Finance. He is a Sri Lankan Tamil Hindu married to a Japanese Singaporean.

Dr Vivian Balakrishnan (1961- ) - Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports. He was the former CEO of Singapore General Hospital. He is a Chindian, or son of a Telugu Singaporean father and Chinese Singaporean mother. His wife is Chinese Singaporean and they are Christians.

Mr K Shanmugam - Minister of Law and Minister for Foreign Affairs. Mr Shanmugam was a four-term backbench member of parliament was a lawyer in private practice. He had been one of the youngest persons to have been appointed a Senior Counsel in Singapore, as was widely seen as one of the nation's top litigators. He is an Indian Tamil Hindu Singaporean.

Mr S Iswaran (1962- ) - Minister, Prime Minister's Office, Second Minister for Home Affairs and Second Minister for Trade and Industry. He was formerly a Colombo Plan scholar and the CEO of Singapore Indian Development Association, the Indian community self-help group as well as Managing Director of Temasek Holdings. He was born in Madras and is a naturalised Indian Tamil Hindu Singaporean.

So, there!

India is known to have many luminaries of the minorities in important political and administrative posts.

The PM is an example!

I remember first time Sonia Ghandhi elected to parliament ppl protested cos of her religion and she finally gave way to MM we too read newspapers Dadaji.
It has nothing to with religion!

Those who say that Sonia Gandhi can be Prime Minister are obviously unaware of, or are unwilling to acknowledge, the vulnerability of certain 'citizens' like her under the Citizenship Act. India cannot possibly be comfortable with a Prime Minister whose citizenship is conditional, whose citizenship can be challenged and even withdrawn under certain circumstances. More, a citizen whose status becomes dependent on the vagaries of Italy's citizenship and naturalisation laws!

Sonia Gandhi has been a serious contender for prime ministership since 1999. Should she ever realise her dreams, it could have grave repercussions for our republic and our political system. In my view, Sonia is ineligible for any high office for the simple reason that her citizenship is conditional and subject to cancellation if she were to violate the stipulations laid down in the Citizenship Act, 1955.

Further, unlike natural-born Indians (citizens by birth) who are citizens of the first class, Sonia occupies a much lower rung in the hierarchy of citizens that exists under this law. The main points of difference are as follows:

Under this law, a person who is born in India and either of whose parents is a citizen of India, is a citizen of India by birth. A person born outside India and either of whose parents is a citizen of India at the time of his birth, is a citizen of India by descent.

Citizens by birth become citizens of India with the first breath of life and retain it, if they so desire, till their last breath. They do not 'apply' for citizenship. Nor do they have to file an affidavit swearing allegiance to the Constitution of India or take an oath in this regard before an Oath Commissioner. Their allegiance to the Indian Constitution is taken for granted. Finally, no force on earth can deprive them of their Indian citizenship. Even if a citizen by birth is found guilty of treason, he cannot be deprived of his citizenship.

He can be jailed for life or hanged but his citizenship cannot be tinkered with. That is why citizens by birth are citizens of the first class. Since citizenship is a fundamental qualification for holding public office in any country, citizens by birth are eminently suited for high constitutional offices.

Foreigners who marry citizens of India and are ordinarily resident in India can apply for Indian citizenship under Section 5 of this Act. If granted citizenship, and this is subject to 'conditions and restrictions as may be prescribed', they are known as citizens by registration.

Other foreigners who make India their home and seek Indian citizenship become naturalized citizens if their applications are accepted. Under Section 6 of the Act, where an application is made in a prescribed manner by such a foreigner, the Central Government can grant the certificate of naturalisation, if it is satisfied that the applicant is qualified as per the provisions outlined in the Third Schedule to the Act. The Third Schedule lays down several qualifications for naturalisation of a foreigner like Sonia Gandhi and under this Act, it is on the incumbent Central Government to ensure the following..

a. that the applicant is not a subject or citizen of any country where citizens of India are prevented by law or practice of that country from becoming subjects or citizens of that country by naturalisation;

b. that if he is a citizen of any country, he has renounced the citizenship of that country in accordance with the law therein in force in that behalf and has notified such renunciation to the Central Government;

c.that he is of good character

d. that he has adequate knowledge of a language specified in the Eighth Schedule of the Constitution.

Finally, the clincher. The Citizenship Act outlines the circumstances in which both citizens by registration and citizens by naturalisation can be deprived of their citizenship.

Section 10 of the Act says citizenship can be withdrawn if the government is satisfied that:

a. the registration or certificate of naturalisation was obtained by means of fraud, false representation or the concealment of any material fact ; or

b. the citizen has shown himself by act or speech to be disloyal or disaffected towards the Constitution of India as by law established; or

c. the citizen has, during any war in which India may be engaged unlawfully traded or communicated with an enemy or been engaged in, or associated with, any business that was to his knowledge carried on in such manner as to assist an enemy in that war; or

d. the citizen has, within five years after registration or naturalisation, been sentenced in any country to imprisonment for a term of not less than two years; or

e. the citizen has been ordinarily resident out of India for a continuous period of seven years.

More at:

Issue of Foreign Origin | Sonia Under Scrutiny - By A.Surya Prakash

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
How is being imaginative helpful in picking tea leaves?
@ saradiel1

Have you picked tea of been to a tea garden?

Tea leaves are not just picked by a grab and tear technique as one would do for some other type of leaves.

Depending on the skill of the picker, hand-picking is performed by pulling the flush with a snap of the forearm, arm, or even the shoulders, with the picker grasping the tea shoot using the thumb and forefinger, with the middle finger sometimes used in combination.

Imagination and thus expertise gained will ensure that there are no broken leaves and partial flushes and thereby reducing the quality of the tea and thereof a loss to the tea garden's finances!

Observe the trained tea-pickers and you will realise that it requires imagination too!

Kandyans didnt agree to be slaves in their own lands. They are a proud ppl.
One can trot out any old excuse to justify obliteration of the fact that Lankanese are plumb lazy!

If the Sri Lankanese were that proud a set of people, then how come they parted with the land for British tea planters?

Last edited:

saradiel1

this is seriously gay, try again coconut dweller and come back with better reply.
this man has been extremely racist and insult my country and its ppl. So such ppl will get answers that deserve their intergrity.

And how is it gay?
And who is a coconut dweller? Really coconut dweller? what is that?

And between he hasnt answered any of my questions and counter argue any of the points....

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
this man has been extremely racist and insult my country and its ppl. So such ppl will get answers that deserve their intergrity.

And how is it gay?

And between he hasnt answered any of my questions and counter argue any of the points....
Which man?

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod

And how is it gay?

If you think my comment was not worth a good answer even in that case in your place I would have not bet my ass like you did. Go back and read your comment, that was seriously gay.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@saradiel1

May I remind you that this forum is not a mobile or a cell phone that you have to used SMS syntax.

Write in full is the rule out here.

Last edited by a moderator:

hit&run

Mod
War Tourism in Sri Lanka | International Political Forum

Since the end of its civil war in 2009, Sri Lanka has been criticised for its handling of thousands of Tamils displaced during the conflict and has faced a barrage of war crimes accusations. Now the government has laid out plans for promoting tourism at the expense of those who suffered most.

Deep in the jungle of the northern Mullaitivu district of Northern Sri Lanka, is the former LTTE (Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam) operations hub, now a ghost town. Visitors are offered a guided tour of the hub which comprises of a 3 story underground bunker, a firing range, a film hall, a semi-underground garage and a funeral parlour for fallen comrades. The package also includes a tour of the shipyard where the tigers held the decaying remains of a Jordanian cargo ship, Farah III.

Although these guides provide a rare glance into the inner workings of the LTTE, the majority of tourists are missing the "bigger picture". What is glaringly absent are the details of the suffering faced by the Tamils who lived in fear of the LTTE and the aftermath of 30 years of civil war that has destroyed the social and economic infrastructure of the region. Instead the visitors, mainly Sinhalese seem intent on seeing war relics rather than truly comprehend the devastation that took place here.

""¦most signs are in Sinhala only, little English and no Tamil. To many this seems to say to the Tamils, this isn't really your country. One of the damaging attitudes that they would say triggered the war decades ago." The BBC writes.

Since the end of the war, the military has taken an active role in the economy of the North and East by posting various checkpoints to control transportation, annexing civilian land and establishing High Security Zone restrictions. Schools have been shut down too, endangering children's education. Furthermore, fishing restrictions have been placed on fishermen. It has been reported that over 200 families have been displaced in several towns in Mannar district.

Beaches in Trincomalee and Batticola are being commandeered by the government who are forcing the people off the land and denying them access to the beaches, seriously jeopardizing their futures in order to build resorts, villas and hotels. It seems that in its rush to improve tourist numbers, it has begun appropriating Tamil areas and landmarks.

The Mannar peninsula, which consists of MannarTown, and several smaller townships, including Talaimannar and Pesalai, were LTTE strongholds and caught in the middle of the civil war for at least three decades. The Navy runs a lucrative boat service for tourists to Mannar, preventing the Local Government officials or local businessmen from engaging in such activities.

There has also been active promotion of Sri Lanka at various international travel fairs. The Sri Lanka Tourism Promotion Bureau (SLTPB) under the guidance of the Ministry of Economic Development recently participated in an international travel fair in Chengdu, Western China. These have been part of the government's efforts to promote Sri Lanka's tourism industry. The Tourism Board plans to take part in another 6 international travel fairs in China alone. Along with the respective Sri Lankan embassies, the SLTPB has held successful tourism campaigns in India, Russia and Kazakhstan.

On 5th September 2011, the Ministry of Economic Development launched the Tourism Development Strategy which will last from 2011 to 2016. The objective of the new strategy is to achieve a target number of 2.5 million tourists by 2016. The World Bank got behind Sri Lanka in its initiative to revamp its image to bolster tourist numbers. However, there are no clear or definite figures of how of this money has been allocated towards building hotels and towards housing the displaced.

This increased tourism has led to repercussions for the environment and this in turn affects the locals and their livelihoods. The issue of poor environmental management, referring to the establishment of camp sites within the country's nature reserves has been raised despite this not being permitted under the Flora & Fauna Act. Furthermore the Sri Lankan government has accused NGOs of attempting to limit Sri Lanka's growth, under the façade of concerns over developments in the name of tourism. There is serious failure to address the plight of the locals or even acknowledge the suffering of the thousands who still remain displaced or are missing.

Many have criticized the Sri Lankan government of portioning significant amounts of investment and money from tourism to its defence budget. Sri Lanka continues to expand its already vast military in order to maintain order and control over Tamil territories. Despite accusations by the international community of war crimes, this has not deterred tourists from the West and India from making Sri Lanka their holiday destination.

This article was written by Gaanashree Wood and was originally published on World Outline.

hit&run

Mod
http://www.firstpost.com/world/why-tamil-nadu-is-right-to-call-sri-lankas-war-a-genocide-668309.html

A part of the national debate on the Sri Lankan Tamil issue in the wake of the second US resolution at the UNHRC in another two days is increasingly disturbing because it's not only dismissive of the tenets of human rights, but is advanced without any cultural and political context.

The most repeated keywords – sovereignty and geopolitics – summarise the ruthlessness of the argument. Human lives and brutal memories don't matter in a world of perceived geopolitical gains.

It's not surprising that the purveyors of this view – which dismisses evidence-based charges of war crimes and human rights violations against the Sri Lankan government as a sovereign nation's internal issue – comprises former diplomats, civil servants, strategic affairs hawks and some fringe beneficiaries.

They are also unabashed in their utilitarian view that supporting the Sri Lankan government is unavoidable for India's geopolitical gains, because otherwise you know, China will eat us up.

The most shocking element of the systematic pro-Sri Lanka voice is the rubbishing of the argument that what happened in Sri Lanka in 2009 was a genocide. Tamil parties, including both the ruling AIADMK and the DMK, and rights activists across the world insist that it was a genocide. They want the UNHRC resolution to say that. How can the world have one standard for Sri Lanka and another for Guatemala?

According to the UN, "any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial, or religious group, as such: killing members of the group; causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life, calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; [and] forcibly transferring children of the group to another group." (OHCHR)

Then why, to some, would the Sri Lankan action not be a genocide?

Because, apparently, in a war there will be civilian casualties and military excesses. This is the unavoidable sad truth of wars. The world wars had incidents wherein a large number of innocent civilians lost lives, but in the interest of the majority and the security of the rest of the world, they were justifiable. When people from a particular race die and suffer in a "war" at the hands of its own government, it is not a genocide!

So, The first step towards building this argument is changing the terminology from civil war to mere 'war'. But a war against one's own people?

Granted, the separatist movement in the North and the East had become a bloody terrorist group that was killing countless innocents, but that doesn't mean that the country couldn't oragnise any other response than going to war against its own civilian citizens. It's alright if you could surgically hit at terror, but not scorch the land along with its people to clean it up.

And in this case, the government forces killed its citizens of a particular ethnicity, namely Tamils. Remember, that we are living in a world where the independence movements of Kosovo and Timor Leste were backed by the international community, and Guatemalan dictator Efrain Rios Montt is on trial for genocide committed during the civil war in his country.

And the estimate of civilian casualties by the UN is about 40,000. This number is proportionately huge compared to the total number of Tamils in the area at the time of the "war" – about 300,000. Roughly one-seventh 'cleaned up'. Why is this not a genocide or ethnic cleansing?

Of course, Sri Lanka had a bloody problem on its hands- the Tamil Tigers had ravaged their country for a long time and they wanted a solution. But what the government conveniently ignored was that the terror was the result of ignoring a political issue that represented the aspirations of a culturally and politically distinctive majority of Tamils in their homeland. Statistically, Tamils account for 18 per cent of Sri Lanka; but in their homeland of the north and the east they were more than 90 per cent.

The pro-Sri Lanka commentators argue without a context – which is that the North and east had a past of cultural and political autonomy which couldn't have been dominated by a Sinhala government. The Tamil and Sinhala regions had been distinctively separate and autonomous and it's only because of the colonial rule that they came together as a single nation state.

How can anybody forcefully take away the centuries old cultural and political autonomy of a population and apply instruments of Sinhala homogenisation? Even a cursory reading of Sri Lanka's political history is good enough to get a sense of the systematic efforts at Sinhala nationalisation – and the resultant marginalisation- of its Tamils, who are the majority in their homeland, by the successive governments in Colombo.

The only way that the Tamil region could have been part of the country was through sheer cultural and political autonomy as we have in India. That is what India also had pushed for in its 1987 accord and the 13th amendment. However successive Buddhist nationalist governments never wanted to acknowledge that. You shudder watching videos of Sinhalese army men questioning Tamils (before perhaps executing them) in Sinhala or Sinhala tinged pidgin. The same thing also happened (and still happens) in the Tamil dominated Wellawatta in Colombo.

Now, the argument over numbers of Tamils during the final push and the number of civilian deaths.

The question is if that many people really died. And the instrument of obfuscation here is the methodology of size estimation. Pro-Sri Lanka advocates say the UN or the others didn't use a reliable methodology. Without a census, how do you do a headcount?

We are talking about a population that has been untouched by any other government than the parallel establishment of the LTTE for more than two decades. This is the same situation that social scientists come across in terms of estimating numbers of a hidden populations (say sex workers or gay men in a society where their activity is either illegal or stigmatised). Methods of size estimation that might not be completely scientific, but practical (for e.g. snowballing) is perfectly fine in such situations. You find them even in peer reviewed journals. And it is not a new practice.

The issue here is not about a few hundred or thousand people more or less, or not even about numbers, but the sheer callous act of willfully killing people, including women and children, of a particular ethnicity. While trying to disprove the gravity by questioning the numbers, what they also do is conveniently ignore the qualitative accounts of witnesses and survivors and other forms of evidence which established that the army targeted its own people.

In fact, there is a huge mountain of such evidence. These accounts are ratified by the UN and others as well. Using cold numbers to cover up State-sponsored excesses is an old trick.

The Cage by UN spokesman in Colombo during the "war", Gordon Weiss, has extensive accounts by UN officials trapped inside the war zone that exposes the culpability of the government. It clearly says how the military targeted civilian areas when the UN aid workers sent the government their GPS coordinates, and finally how they stopped this standard operating procedure.

At the height of the war, the proxies of the nationalists and the government targeted the UN and even charged that they were harbouring Tamil terrorists. It's in this context of racial hatred and paranoia that killing of Tamils becomes a real genocide!

This is where stories – and not statistics – as Shiv Vishwanathan said on Firstpost, are important. This is where memories are important in standing up to ruthlessness as Salman Rushdie said. I have attended several "courts of women" (public hearing of women who suffered atrocities from racism to trafficking) in different countries and have personally experienced that up close, the trauma of even a single instance of rights violation passes through generations until there is an emotional closure.

I guess that is why oral testimonies, Gordon Weiss, the UN, Human Rights Watch and Channel 4 documentaries make more sense than the numbers of casualties, injuries and rehabilitation.

A recent mainstream Brazilian film – Elite Squad 2 -, by a scholarly Jose Padilha (who made the sensational documentary Bus 174) shows how the political-police mafia guns down inconvenient criminals in certain pockets of Rio favelas so that the slum-dwellers become useful as consumers in the market. In official accounts, we would have seen only some numbers and cleansing of a slum.

Lastly, the point of keeping away from countries in the name of sovereignty is a flawed argument because in that case, people should be left to suffer famines and genocides for Kosovos, Guatemalas, Sudans and Rwandas to happen again and again!

(The Buddhist right wing in Sri Lanka is now targeting Muslims. The Bodu Bala Sena (Literally the army of Budhist power) group have recently forced the abolishment of Halal certification and now they want to change how Muslim women dress. Rajapaksa probably now knows that the Tamils will not vote for him and hence doesn't want the Sinhala vote to split between him and the UNP. So he is targeting the Muslims as well so that there is a majority consolidation as we saw elsewhere.)

amoy

War tourism promotion is great - the more people learn abt cruelty of war the more people cherish the hard earned peace and freedom, and the more they're wary of comeback of LTTE terrorism.

Also by war tourism the friendship that was forged through joint fights stay alive. When I visited Hanoi military museum a VN veteran suddenly held up my arm shouting "Ho Chi Minh! Mao Zedong"! In going over the war history people get grateful of the ally's support at the most critical times.

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

hit&run

Mod
War tourism promotion is great - the more people learn abt cruelty of war the more people cherish the hard earned peace and freedom, and the more they're wary of comeback of LTTE terrorism.

Also by war tourism the friendship that was forged through joint fights stay alive. When I visited Hanoi military museum a VN veteran suddenly held up my arm shouting "Ho Chi Minh! Mao Zedong"! In going over the war history people get grateful of the ally's support at the most critical times.

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2
Typical insensitive Chinese, How about Japanese using Nanking as a tourist spot.

Remembering wars is good things but wars are remembered by building war memorials and here we are talking about civil war fought against natives and such tourism is used to humiliate Tamils to boost ego of Shinhalas.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
In a way, it is correct.

However, there is the danger of reigniting sectarian passions that can have dangerous ramifications.

If you notice the Sri Lankese posters when they speak of the Tamils, you can perceive their distaste for the Sri Lankanese Tamil.

Visiting areas where the so called 'war' was fought will add to the embitterment on both sides.

Yet, from the historian's point of view, the visit would be worth its weight in gold!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Typical insensitive Chinese, How about Japanese using Nanking as a tourist spot.
Nanking for the Chinese is a grim reminder of one of the issues of the 100 years of National Shame for the Chinese and it only helps in igniting passions.More so, since the Japanese re contesting the veracity of the massacre.

The same is the feelings of the Chinese and Japanese when the Japanese leaders visit the Yasukuni shrine.

The Chinese are infuriated, while to the Japanese it is a matter of Japanese ritual that is essential for Japanese nationalism!

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles