M4 Rifles for Army SF Units

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
HK-416 reputation among SF world wide have no issue of inaccuracy, If there is a issue of such problem please provide some insight..
What about buying M4 variants chambered for 6.8mm which is in use with some SWAT units ?Its known that it has both benefits of 5.56 and 7.62mm but what about its performance in harsh conditions like mud, dust or water?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
What about buying M4 variants chambered for 6.8mm which is in use with some SWAT units ?Its known that it has both benefits of 5.56 and 7.62mm but what about its performance in harsh conditions like mud, dust or water?
I dont know about SWAT with 6.8mm, You are asking about the rifle ?

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
I dont know about SWAT with 6.8mm, You are asking about the rifle ?
yes about the rifle.how the weapons chambered for 6.8 will perform in harsh conditions.am asking this coz generally weapons chambered for 5.56 lags behind performance in harsh conditions like mud and water and frost as compared to those firing 7.62.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
yes about the rifle.how the weapons chambered for 6.8 will perform in harsh conditions.am asking this coz generally weapons chambered for 5.56 lags behind performance in harsh conditions like mud and water and frost as compared to those firing 7.62.
There is no info about that, Cant say how it will behave..

SPIEZ

Country flag
Sure:

Weight: 3.1 kg
Length: (840 mm) (stock extended)
Barrel length: (370 mm)

-----------------------------------

Weight:2.98 Kg
Overall Length :590 mm
Barrel Length: 330 mm

-----------------------------------

But most Importantly reliability of TAR series of Rifles:

MUD TEST:

I recommend people to watch these vids:

You just dont have this in M4..
Only its second to a AK regarding reliability..

Then why did the Indian forces initially complain about the gun?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Then why did the Indian forces initially complain about the gun?
Cleaning Kit & Oil..

We were using same cleaning technique as we used in Insas for these guns, And the kit used for these guns are not crude as OFB once..

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
6.8 mm Remington SPC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The 6.8 mm Remington SPC (AKAs: 6.8 SPC, 6.8 SPC II & 6.8×43mm) is a rifle cartridge that was developed by Remington Arms with collaboration from individual members of the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit, United States Special Operations Command.[4] to possibly replace the 5.56 NATO cartridge in a Short Barreled Rifle(SBR)/Carbine.

Based upon the .30 Remington cartridge,[5] it is midway between the 5.56×45mm NATO and 7.62×51mm NATO in bore diameter and velocity. It uses a .277 (7.036mm) diameter bullet, which is the same diameter bullet as the venerable hunting cartridge .270 Winchester uses. It is particularly adaptable to current 5.56 mm NATO firearms, the cartridge overall length being comparable.

6.8mm Remington SPC (6.8x43mm) cartridge shown along with 5.56x45mm NATO cartridge (RIGHT)

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
6.8 mm Remington SPC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The
first major manufacturer to offer a 6.8 mm Remington SPC chambered version of the AR-15 was Barrett Firearms Company, offering the Barrett REC7. By 2007, most major manufacturers of AR-15 type rifles for the civilian gun market (including Olympic Arms, Bushmaster Firearms International, LMT, LWRC, DPMS Panther Arms, Rock River Arms, Stag Arms, Ruger, Bison Armory, AR15 Performance, Dedicated Technology, Yankee Hill Machine, Ambush Firearms, Wilson Combat, Daniel Defense, and Remington Arms) were offering rifles in this caliber. Dedicated AR upper receiver assemblies chambered for the round are produced by a number of smaller firms. Ruger Firearms produces a 6.8 mm for their Ruger SR-556 piston-driven AR-15 variant.[17] The Stag Arms Hunter and Tactical models utilize the newer chambers and specified twist rates to accommodate higher pressure loadings. Microtech Small Arms Research offers their version of the Steyr AUG in 6.8. Robinson Armament Co. offers the XCR-L in 6.8, which can be easily converted between 6.8, 5.56, and 7.62x39. Bushmaster offers a 6.8 chamber and barrel along with 5.56 for the ACR also. Ruger Firearms chambered their Mini-14 Ranch Rifle in this round for several years; however, it has been discontinued.
Personally, I think the Mini-14 would perform well under extreme environmental conditions with the 6.8mm. I had one in 5.56mm.

SPIEZ

Country flag
Cleaning Kit & Oil..

We were using same cleaning technique as we used in Insas for these guns, And the kit used for these guns are not crude as OFB once..
That meant it required frequent cleaning, which makes it not so efficient.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
That meant it required frequent cleaning, which makes it not so efficient.
How is frequent cleaning is related to less efficiency ?

And how many times a gun need cleaning ?

SPIEZ

Country flag
^^^ Comparing standards set by the AK and Tavor, clearly the Tavor had issues.

besides there was a bullpup variant of the AK which was available.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Standards of reliability, it is very well known that the M4 was a failure, and so a M4 based gun would also be a major failure.
The internal are not like M4 so does the outer, It just use 5.56mm..

So does Insas, What counts:

1. ruggedness..
2. precision..
3. Flexibility..

EzioAltaïr

how is m4 an failure? and what are the well known facts
I remember readin about a competition in which they compared M4 with other carbines. It jammed the highest number of times, 882 times I think, and 19 major problems (the sort of jamming that a soldier can't repair himself, it required an engineer). The M4 has reliability problems, but I wouldn't call it a failure.

sandy_3126

I remember readin about a competition in which they compared M4 with other carbines. It jammed the highest number of times, 882 times I think, and 19 major problems (the sort of jamming that a soldier can't repair himself, it required an engineer). The M4 has reliability problems, but I wouldn't call it a failure.
I am pretty avid shooter, and shoot almost every week, Although i (still) dont own an AR15 (based on same m16/m4 platform), I have shot roughly more than 1000 rounds on three different AR's (Larue, dpms and S&W m&p15 ) this year. Apart from occasional FTF due to crap ammo, I have never had any problems. I assume mil spec receivers would be similar or better quality. I have never had a broken extractor or any jams that were not fixable.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I am pretty avid shooter, and shoot almost every week, Although i (still) dont own an AR15 (based on same m16/m4 platform), I have shot roughly more than 1000 rounds on three different AR's (Larue, dpms and S&W m&p15 ) this year. Apart from occasional FTF due to crap ammo, I have never had any problems. I assume mil spec receivers would be similar or better quality. I have never had a broken extractor or any jams that were not fixable.
A Solider Rifle have to go through Sand, Mud, Soil, Water where ever where soilder goes, He sleep and eat with his rifle..

In these condition rifle should preform as per need, There is not much place and time for cleaning it, It have to fire whenever needed..

sandy_3126

A Solider Rifle have to go through Sand, Mud, Soil, Water where ever where soilder goes, He sleep and eat with his rifle..

In these condition rifle should preform as per need, There is not much place and time for cleaning it, It have to fire whenever needed..
completely agree.... right tool for the right job. I haven't still come across any firearm which is not criticized.

hold tighter tolerances, get better accuracy, compromise ruggedness (wrt dirt grit etc) and viceversa, there are AR variants specifically built to be robust, and there are others built for urban warfare etc.

My contention was M4 is not a "failed" platform

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
M4 is a good rifle not failed, It failed in certain conditions which dont effect its overall preform ace..

Global Defence

New threads

Articles