M1 Abrams

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Another mean development of the Abrams tank that no other military has, the Assault Breacher.

Last edited by a moderator:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
It's not nececary needs to offer more power than L55, comparable is good enough, especially if this could be achieved with L48 barrel.

Besides this, do not forget that also ammunition is important, and M829A4 is in the final R&D phase.
Exactly, if the current ammos of the Americans already provide it parity or better in terms of performance over the L55 (using only L44), how much more if they actually use these ammos on L55? This would be a significant advancement in firepower and would vastly outperform existing competitions.

Damian

The ABV is in reality just slightly modified hull with new one man turret. ABV can be quickly converted in to standard MBT at ANAD or JSMC.

Exactly, if the current ammos of the Americans already provide it parity or better in terms of performance over the L55 (using only L44), how much more if they actually use these ammos on L55? This would be a significant advancement in firepower and would vastly outperform existing competitions.
AFAIK US tested L55 but for some reasons did not fielded it, this of course does not mean that they do not have know how and are unable to manufacture them if needed. Americans like to make surprises. ;)

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
AFAIK US tested L55 but for some reasons did not fielded it, this of course does not mean that they do not have know how and are unable to manufacture them if needed. Americans like to make surprises. ;)
Hahaha! Like what Churchill said, "expect the Americans to be always right after they have tried everything else."

Damian

Standard AGT-1500C engine:

Same engine but in proposed compact configuration (TMEPS):

Compact engines developed under AIPS program, the XAP-1000 Diesel, and LV100-5 Gas Turbine:

One of the 140mm XM291 ATAC (Advanced Tank Cannon) and XM91 autoloader test beds, a downsized version of CATTB, called "Thumper":

I must say that I like turret design, it would be nice if they will use it as a base for M1A3. :)

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Hahaha! Like what Churchill said, "expect the Americans to be always right after they have tried everything else."
Actual quote.

"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."
Probably more related to policy than weapons development, but a god quote.

Damian

I must say that I really like the new RWS design, it is placed closer to TC hatch, so reloading is easier, also manual operating it's should be easier in case of malfunction.

However as I said, for the future upgrades, this turret design should be use:

Of course after proper modifications. The I would integrate CITV and RWS in to one device, and place it somehwere behind TC hatch, maybe to a similiar way is PERI-R17A2 is placed in Leopard 2A5/A6, so it would be placed close enought to TC hatch for easy reloading and would not obscure visibility from TC cupola vision blocks.

Also turret have here, not angled side armor, so ethere should be better space management inside turret.

Using Meggitt Compact Autoloader system design, there should be capability to store there ~36 maybe even up to ~40 ready to use ammo in autoloader cassettes.

This autoloader installed in standard M1A1/M1A2 turret can store 34 ready to use rounds.

Meggitt Defense Systems - 120mm Compact Automatic Magazine

I must say that this high capacity 120mm calliber ammunition autoloader is very elegant design.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I must say that I really like the new RWS design, it is placed closer to TC hatch, so reloading is easier, also manual operating it's should be easier in case of malfunction.

However as I said, for the future upgrades, this turret design should be use:

Also turret have here, not angled side armor, so ethere should be better space management inside turret.
The design is elegant but I think to get a comparable protection as what the current sloped configuration offers, the designers have to increase the side turret wall, potentially making the tank heavier...

Using Meggitt Compact Autoloader system design, there should be capability to store there ~36 maybe even up to ~40 ready to use ammo in autoloader cassettes.

This autoloader installed in standard M1A1/M1A2 turret can store 34 ready to use rounds.

Meggitt Defense Systems - 120mm Compact Automatic Magazine

I must say that this high capacity 120mm calliber ammunition autoloader is very elegant design.

The whole cassette can be ejected at the back of the turret or reloaded individually while in the turret?

Damian

The design is elegant but I think to get a comparable protection as what the current sloped configuration offers, the designers have to increase the side turret wall, potentially making the tank heavier...
Side turret armor is ~400mm thick at least in this prototype. It is allready angled in all predictible hit angles within safe manouvering angles. We can sacrifice bustle protection to safe weight.

For example side turret over crew compartment will have ~400mm thick composite armor, turret bustle can be protected by ~200mm spaced armor (2x 100mm plates) or even less thickness ~100mm (2x 50mm).

There are also other possible solutions, like turret bustle as separated module that can be replaced or even "ejected" from turret if needed.

Besides this side turret is still protected by composite armor. Also vertical side armor and and front armor angled only horiztonal and very weak angled in vertical axis, is better to mount addon armor in form of composite armor modules, or single or multiple layered ERA modules.

The whole cassette can be ejected at the back of the turret or reloaded individually while in the turret?
Ammo cassettes are staying in turret.

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Ammo cassettes are staying in turret.
So this is reloaded from the outside of the rear of the turret through a small opening for that purpose? I noticed that there is a small space at the back of the cassette in the picture, I assume this is for reloading.

Damian

The autoloader in photos is a version for standard M1 tanks turret. So ammunition cassettes there are stored in bustle in the same way as old ammo racks. This means that proectiles are facing turret rear, not crews compartment. So they are loaded in the same way as in standard turret, through their small ammunition port by loader. Because in standard turret even with this autoloader, there is place for loader than can for example operate RWS on turret top, or maintain communications etc.

In a new turret design, ammo cassettes could be reloaded from inside (the same method as in Leclerc) by additional loading hatch, then the ammunition port is only for loading main gun by autoloader, and them projectiles are facing crew compartment not turret rear. Ammo also can be loaded from the outside using small ammunition loading hatch in turret rear. So it can look the same as in Leclerc, only ammo capacity will be higher.

Damian

One of several prototypes, it is a bit different to the one called "Thumper" on that older photo.

Damian

CATTB - Components Advanced Technology Test Bed, new turret with modular armor, armed with XM291 140mm smoothbore gun with XM91 autoloader, SAVA integrated vehicle electronics system and developed under AIPS program, compact Diesel XAP-1000:

Damian

TTB - Tank Test Bed, a redesigned M1 hull with all crew in armored isolated capsule/compartment behind frontal armor, unmanned turret amred with modified M256/L44 120mm smoothbore gun with autoloader under turret with 44 rounds capacity:

Chrysler/GDLS XM1 prototype/prototypes and late pre production vehicle:

Damian

BTW I was looking at PDF document of CATTB, it seems that hull was highly redesigned compared to standard M1 hull, besides reinforced structure, very interesting is area behind turret. It seems that thanks to using compact Diesel, there was enough space behind turret to place there big, isolated ammunition magazine.

IMHO it should be used in modernisation process of M1 tanks in future.

Later I will use my second computer to point out other interesting images. But for now I recommend to use a link for this document, placed in one of my previous posts.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles