M1 Abrams

Damian

Note, turrets types classification is my own, to simplify and explain what versions have what turret type.

Drawing shows Deep Water Fording Kit installation, photos shows M1E1 prototype with DWFK during tests.

Differences between M1/M1IP/M1A1 CWS (Commander Weapon Station) and M1A2 ICWS (Improved Commander Weapon Station) cupolas. As we can see CWS have advantage of controlled machine gun from tanks interior even with close hatch. ICWS have advantage of having more and bigger vision blocks providing better visibility.

Currently M1A2 tanks with ICWS are reciving RWS instead of simple flex mount for machine gun, M1A1 tanks with CWS will recive new improved SCWS (Stabilized Commander Weapon Station) with full stabilisation.

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I just rejoined the forum, why is the US military not developing a 120mm tube launched missile for the Abrams. We know the advantage of this ammo, especially now with networking to air assets like Apaches and UAVs, which can see the enemy first and while it is still far from engagement distance, this has the ability of giving the Abrams a stand off capability against enemy targets?

Damian

I just rejoined the forum, why is the US military not developing a 120mm tube launched missile for the Abrams. We know the advantage of this ammo, especially now with networking to air assets like Apaches and UAVs, which can see the enemy first and while it is still far from engagement distance, this has the ability of giving the Abrams a stand off capability against enemy targets?
I do not understand, US Military is developing GLATGM (Gun Launched Anti Tank Guided Missile) for M1 tanks. It is still designated as XM1111 MRM-CE but it will be designated after standarisation as M1111 MRM-CE (Mid Range Munition - Chemical Energy).

It will have two or three different guiding systems (sensors), range of 12,000m providing Beyond Line Of Sight Fire capabilitis, and most probably tandem HEAT warhead.

This ammunition originally was intended to be also used on XM1202 MCS developed as one of vehicle in the MGV Family of Vehicles.

XM1111 Mid-Range Munition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
XM1111 MRM: Clank Softly, and Carry a Better Shillelagh
120 mm XM1111 Mid-Range Munition (MRM) round (United States) - Jane's Ammunition Handbook

XM1111 MRM-CE test launch from M1 tank.

Last edited:

Damian

Thank for bringing me up-to-date.
No problem.

Actually the priority in new tank ammunition development have M829E4 to become M829A4 and replace on production lines M829A3.
Second should be AMP or Advanced Multi Purpose, it seems that it still do not have known alpha numeric designation. AMP will replace M830 HEAT, M830A1 MPAT, M908 HEOR and M1028 Cannister munitions. AMP is modern multipurpose programmable ammunition, I seen a photo from it's anti armor tests, AMP is even possible to go through the frontal armor of T-55 tank turret, impressive for a HE round.

It seems that MRM have a lower priority these days, but there were no informations on canncelation of it so it probably will be fielded some day.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/wsh2010/108.pdf

PDF about AKE (M829E4) and AMP.

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Another thing that the Abrams still has to improve on is its main gun. Somehow the Americans have been stuck in the older L44 variant of the Rheinmetall gun. The US should upgrade their tanks to the newer and more powerful L55 version:

Damian

With M829A3 and newer ammunitions, there was no need to immediate replace the good old M256. And L55 is also not good solution in urban warfare. This is why US is actually working on it's own, much newer than L55 gun. The XM360E1 that if will be fielded and standarized it will become M360A1, it is L48 gun AFAIK.

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2010armament/WednesdayReunionDavidSmith.pdf

XM360E1 is a lightweight, 120mm smoothbore, high pressure gun for Main Battle Tanks. It was developed from XM360 gun from FCS program.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
This gun was originally developed for a light tank (FCS). How does its muzzle velocity compare with the L55? There's no figure on the materials available.

A drawing comparison of the 2 tank guns:

Last edited:

Damian

You compare the wrong guns. Read the PDF in my previous post.

XM360 is for light weight vehicles.

XM360E1 is normal MBT gun, just light weight compared to M256 or Rh-120/L55.

Your drawing is some sort of early concept, proper graphics and photos are in PDF I provided.

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Sorry but I only saw a computer graphics comparison between the FCS XM360 and the M1 bound XM360E1. I was comparing XM360 and Rheinmetall 120 mm above.

Damian

Yes, but XM360 is not designed for MBT's, based on it XM360E1 is. I do not see a reason to compare weapon systems for different types of vehicles.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Yes, but XM360 is not designed for MBT's, based on it XM360E1 is. I do not see a reason to compare weapon systems for different types of vehicles.
Well I believe that it would be an utter waste of resources for the Americans to develop a new tank gun that will ultimately be inferior to the already in production L55. (Of course I do not have the specs of the XM360E1, but I am deducing from the fact that this gun is originally developed for a light tank and is in fact constructed from composite materials).

Damian

Gun is made from metal alloy used to construct high pressure guns. Only elements that could be replaced by composites were done that way to reduce weight.

XM360E1 was not designed for lightweight vehicle, it was based on XM360 designed for such lightweight vehicle but this don't mean it have the same disadvantages as the XM360 compared to L55 for example.

Look what is described on the comparrision graphic, the XM360E1 among other changes have higher chamber pressure and recoil impulse than XM360.

Besides this, it os not said that XM360E1 is as light as XM360, it can be heavier, look at the breach and other elements, they are much more massive compared to these ones in XM360.

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
This will be an interesting development if the gun can offer more power than the current gold standard, the L55. This would be a potent competition to the Rheinmentall gun.

Damian

It's not nececary needs to offer more power than L55, comparable is good enough, especially if this could be achieved with L48 barrel.

Besides this, do not forget that also ammunition is important, and M829A4 is in the final R&D phase.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles