Lt Colonel Purohit - Did the Army fail to protect an effective officer?

Discussion in 'Internal Security' started by ajtr, Jun 29, 2012.

1. ajtr

ajtr Veteran Member Veteran Member

Malegaon blast: Lt Col Purohit is not a terrorist, say witnesses

New Delhi: Malegaon blast accused Lt Col PS Purohit says he had "infiltrated" the Hindu radical outfit Abhinav Bharat and did his job properly and also kept his bosses in the loop.
    The Military Intelligence officer is facing two separate trials, one is being handled by the National Investigation Agency(NIA) and the other one is Army's Court of Inquiry (CoI) into the matter.
    "I infiltrated Abhinav Bharat. I have done my job properly, have kept my bosses in the loop and everything is on paper in the army records. Those who need to know, know the truth," Purohit told Outlook magazine.

The army has completed the CoI under a Brigadier-level officer against Purohit and submitted its findings to the Southern Command headquarters, sources said.
    None of the 60 witnesses who deposed before the CoI have corroborated the charge of Purohit being a terrorist, the magazine said based on testimonies of these witnessed accessed by it.
    Army sources, when asked if the service had decided in haste while taking action against the officer, said whatever action deemed appropriate at that time, was taken by the authorities.
    The CoI againt Purohit had commenced on April 7, 2009 and first concluded on September 1, 2010 after recording the statements of all the witnesses and reportedly recommended his dismissal from service.
    However, after Purohit went in appeal against the CoI in the Armed Forces Tribunal, the services court asked the inquiry to be reconvened after finding that certain witnesses were not allowed to be cross-examined by the accused officer as per the Army laws.
    In his plea before the AFT, Purohit had also stated that he was given "extreme inhuman treatment" by one Colonel RK Srivastava during his interrogation.
    Purohit had also contended that his trial by the CoI was invalid as proceedings against him were already on in a MCOCA court.

3. ajtr

ajtr Veteran Member Veteran Member

Re: Malegaon blast: Lt Col Purohit is not a terrorist, say witnesses

Malegaon blast: Did Army go wrong in Lt Colonel Purohit's case?

New Delhi: The Indian Army appears to be caught in the cross-hairs of a big new controversy - in 2008, it may have acted too quickly in accepting that a serving military intelligence officer, Lt Col Prasad Purohit, was linked to a right-wing terror group.

In 2008, a bomb exploded on a Friday evening near a mosque in the town of Malegaon, killing six people. One month later, the Anti-Terror Squad (ATS) in Maharashtra said a group of Hindu right-wing radicals was to blame. Lt Col Purohit, who was posted in Pachmarhi in Madhya Pradesh, and was undergoing an Arabic Language course, was accused and arrested.

The Army, without conducting an immediate court of inquiry, handed him over to the ATS. Later, it did order a court of inquiry but did not allow Lt Col Purohit to cross-examine witnesses.

Two years later, under orders from the Armed Forces Tribunal, the Army restarted the court of Inquiry.

Now, more than 50 army personnel have testified that the Army may have wrongly handed over Lt Col Purohit to the Anti-Terror Squad without conducting its own investigation. Lt Col Purohit, who has been in a jail in Taloja in Mumbai, was allowed to cross-examine witnesses in Mumbai.

Many said that he was actually an infiltrator and not a conspirator, who had been assigned to collect evidence and details of right-wing terror groups.

From the very beginning, Lt Col Purohit has claimed that he had kept his bosses informed of his activities which included attending meetings of the Abhinav Bharat.

But if the officer was operating on behalf of the military, the Army has to figure out why his tip-offs on rising right-wing extremism in areas like Nashik, Malegaon were not shared with other agencies.

There's also the issue of why the Army or civil agencies like the ATS did not hold its own investigation.

Lt Col Purohit has also accused a colonel in Military Intelligence of colluding with civilian intelligence agencies to detain him without any arrest warrant and torture him. The Colonel, Purohit says, wanted to score brownie points and earn award etc.

The Army, however, says the Colonel in question was officially deputed to liaise with civil agencies.

4. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

The Courts should decide.

If indeed he is not what he is blamed for, then he should demand compensation in millions!

Ankit Purohit, maomao, Singh and 2 others like this.
  5. Tronic

Tronic Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

And an honourary reinstatement.

sob likes this.
  6. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

Lt Colonel Purohit: Did the Army sell short an effective officer?

New Delhi: One by one, 59 witnesses, all from the Army, have told a Court of Inquiry - step one of Army's legal process- why they believe Lieutenant Colonel Prasad Purohit was just doing his job by fraternising with right-wing extremists.

Lt Col Purohit was arrested in November 2008 for a bomb blast on September 29, 2008 in Malegaon in Maharashtra, a communally sensitive area. He is now in a Taloja Jail, near Navi Mumbai.

When the Anti-Terror Squad (ATS) asked for the officer, on the grounds that he belonged to the Abhinav Bharat, the Army hastily handed over its man, then posted in Madhya Pradesh.

But during the Court of Inquiry, which concluded last month in Mumbai, the portrait that has emerged of the officer is a flattering one.

Officers have testified that Lieutenant Colonel Purohit had, in the course of his duties, infiltrated organisations like the Students Islamic Movement of India or SIMI. This is exactly what he had been ordered to do as a military intelligence man.

Most significantly, during the course of his statements to the Court of Inquiry, Lieutenant Colonel Purohit has placed on record the inputs he provided his seniors on people like Indresh Kumar (an RSS leader) and Sunil Joshi (allegedly a conspirator in the blast on the Samjhauta Express train headed to Pakistan in 2007; Mr Joshi was murdered in December, 2007).

Mr Purohit told the Court of Inquiry: "I must make a mention here that out of the vast int (intelligence) network development by me with great efforts I came to know about the likely involvement of some right-wing leaders in anti-national activities. The inputs received on 12 October 2008 were immediately fwd (forwarded) to then CO (Commanding Officer) SCLU (Southern Command Liaison Unit) Col Pancpore, OC A Team, Det SCLU, Maj P. Khanzode and to Maj. B. Dey of 1/6 team CCLU (Central Command Liaison Unit) on 12/13 October 2008 itself and a written report in this regard was fwd to Maj Dey on 15 Oct 2008.

Purohit goes on to say: "The report which was termed vague by Maj Dey in his statement is today proving to be right where the name of Indresh Kumar as given out by me for the first time is now figuring in almost all charge sheets relating to right-wing blast cases. Name of P. Joshi as mentioned in my report which is S. Joshi (Sunil Joshi who was found dead) otherwise is now reflecting in every charge sheet related to right-wing blast cases."

Some of the statements of Purohit's superiors in his ACRs (annual confidential reports) made during the court of inquiry suggest an officer who worked with great, if sometimes overzealous, enthusiasm and dedication. In 2005, Purohit in fact was invited to deliver a lecture on intelligence-gathering at the Mumbai headquarters of the Anti-Terror Squad that later charged him of being one of the accused in the Malegaon blast of 2008.

Some statements accessed by NDTV from the proceedings of the Court of Inquiry:

Col. Hasmuk Patel, then Commanding Officer of Southern Command Liaison Unit wrote in Purohit's ACR in 2007: The Officer has infiltrated the SIMI and other underground outfits in the region through his capabilities and go getter attitude.

Col. YK Singh in 2008, noted: "He (Purohit) provided valuable int on Tabliq-e-jamal and MFO (Muslim Fundamentalist activities which were appreciated by environment. He developed on effective informant network in AOR which led to acquisition of Naxal propoganda and terrorist activities."

Col VS Tomar: "Although I have not known you on a personal level, yet by my interactions with officers of varied seniority with the Intelligence Corps, I came to know that you were a motivated, daring and good field intelligence officer. However some people did mention that at times you had a negative trait of boasting for gaining audience."

Lt. Col. SS Raikar (retd): "I do not believe that Lt. Col. Purohit has been involved in any anti-social or anti-national activity which will bring disrepute to the country in general and the Indian army in particular."

Lt. Col Purohit has said that before handing him over to the Anti-Terror Squad, the army "did not look into my performance as an Intelligence officer..(Or) my reports generated as an inteligence officer."

Asking that he be reinstated ((is this correct)), he has told the army court "This is the organisation that I have loved the most... I am a true and hardcore soldier. ..I am more than confident and convinced that the uniform of the Army which I wear with so much pride and the organisation which I serve with honour shall never ever get tarnished by my behaviour and actions...However, now the onus to give me justice and to recover me out of this unfortunate situation definitely lies on the organisation."

sob and maomao like this.
  7. Bhadra

Bhadra Defence Professionals Defence Professionals Senior Member

It seems to be so !!

8. Ray

NIA sweats, 1st case against saffron terror flounders

NEW DELHI: The case against Lt Col Srikant Prasad Purohit, accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, appears to be floundering even before the National Investigation Agency (NIA) takes him into custody.

The Army's court of inquiry (CoI) report on Purohit has revealed that he could have infiltrated Abhinav Bharat, the organization suspected to be behind the blast, to collect information on right-wing extremism. Purohit was in miltary intelligence at the time.

Purohit had, in fact, communicated to his superiors almost three weeks before his arrest that right-wing extremists, in particular Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, were responsible for the blast. The report quotes Purohit identifying key blast accused Sudhakar Chaturvedi as his informer.

The development could take the wind out of NIA's sails as the agency is already struggling for material evidence against Purohit after taking over the case from Maharashtra ATS last year and has been locked in a court battle, as yet unsuccessful, to get Purohit's custody.

Purohit's arrest along with Sadhvi Pragya Singh in 2008 had led to a political furore as it, for the first time, revealed the violent anti-national side of right-wing politics in India, with several members of the RSS suspected to be involved.

Sources said Purohit's defence would most likely use the testimonies and evidence produced in his favour in the CoI in the criminal court. This only makes NIA's job difficult.

The agency's case against Purohit has barely moved in terms of evidence collection. Much of the proof it has is still that collected by Maharashtra ATS and listed in its chargesheet — unlikely to hold water against a strong defence.

Purohit's only established connection with the conspiracy comes through intercepts of several conversations he had with other key accused. While this too would need corroborative evidence, the conversations themselves hardly talk of the actual conspiracy.

The other evidence is that of Purohit's close connections with Chaturvedi, where the latter used to have keys to Purohit's residence in Deolali while he was posted there. Purohit had even helped him get a room in Deolali where the Malegaon bomb was allegedly assembled. However, this will fall flat if Purohit proves that Chaturvedi was indeed his informer.

He has also been accused of being a part of Abhinav Bharat and organizing and attending the outfit's meetings attended by several blast accused. For this, Purohit already says his associations were purely ideological. On two key evidential fronts — of that of RDX procurement and financial assistance — agencies are still floundering. While Purohit has been accused of stealing 60 kg RDX from J&K while he was posted there and passing it on to the bomb planters, the trail has not been established.

Even the financial assistance routed through Purohit has stopped at Abhinav Bharat and does not lead to the actual conspiracy. NIA had recently failed to file a chargesheet in stipulated time against another key accused Lokesh Sharma, allowing him to get bail in the process. The agency also left out Purohit in its chargesheet in the Samjhauta Express blast case for lack of evidence.

NIA sweats, 1st case against saffron terror flounders - The Times of India

maomao likes this.
  9. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

NIA and its bogey of saffron terror is an artifical political construct for creating an equal-equal with the Islamist terrorists and thus sharing the blame for terrorists acts inside the country.

But then allegations are easy to make -- but those allegations standing the test of law in court is a different matter and this is what we are seeing here..

Let time tell the truth..

parijataka, sob, maomao and 2 others like this.
  10. Ray

I think it is an Undercover operation which has gone sour.

The Left hand does not know what the Right Hand is doing!

maomao likes this.
  11. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Seems like that and certainly possible with missing communication channels between various agencies. The same missing communications channel between the CIA and the FBI led to 9/11.

12. panduranghari

panduranghari Senior Member Senior Member

Like it happened in the movie 'the departed'. Police mole in the mobile vulgatus and mobile vulgatus mole in the police.

raja696 likes this.
  13. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

14. Energon

Energon DFI stars Stars and Ambassadors

Regardless of whether Purohit was a conspirator or an infiltrator the act of terrorism still occurred which means it is by no means artificial. Hindu fanaticism exists, and it is just as noxious as any other form of radicalism, Islam or otherwise.

Having said that if this story turns out to be true then it is clear that India's law and order system is even more pathetic than one would have previously thought.

Tronic, sob, Singh and 1 other person like this.
  15. KS

Hindu fanaticm does exist -- it would be pre-posterous to suggest otherwise. But by fanaticsm I mean the groups like Bajrang Dal, Sri ram sene etc who acts of extremism include pelting some churches with stones for alleged cases of conversion, thrashing people in the name of cow-protection and such acts of vandalism.

But my point is that the bogey of saffron terrorism does not exist or is still not proved to exist. Hindu right wing fanaticsm does not equate to Hindu terrorism.

p.s:- coming to Purohit case, ofcourse it is undeniable that it lowers the credibility [if anything existed in the first place] of the NIA as an impartial, effective counter-terror force and furthers doubts that its a political tool created to extract political benefits through much-publicized arrests before,after elections.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
    sob, maomao, Patriot and 1 other person like this.
  16. KS

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  17. Energon

Energon DFI stars Stars and Ambassadors

I don't think the people affected by the incidents in Malegaon and Modasa or on the Samjhauta Express perceived what happened to them as a simple pelting. Also given the luxury of overwhelming numerical superiority, organized pogroms where defenseless people are slaughtered with impunity, including fetuses which are ripped out from the womb and where the unfortunate survivors are subjected to medieval style rape and pillaging ought be considered tad bit more excessive than hurling little stones no?

Islamic fundamentalism is undoubtedly far more prolific in it's scope and its sphere of influence (practically world wide) and Hindu fundamentalism doesn't hold a candle to it. However Hindu fanaticism in its worst form does exist and it is just as repugnant as its any other form of radicalism.

Back to Purohit: The Indian establishment is clearly devoid of an effective counter terrorism body and this is a core structural deficiency of the state. Regardless of which political party is in power as long as India does not have an adequate law and order mechanism in place it will always remain a soft target for dastardly attacks from terrorist organizations.

Having said that I'm sure there are many people in government and law enforcement agencies who genuinely care and take initiative, however as long as the set up as a whole remains deficient there is very little they can do. We now know that the best way to tackle terrorism is through extensive intelligence gathering and excellent communication and collaboration within different agencies, and clearly this still hasn't happened almost 4 years after the iconic attack of 26/11

Oracle likes this.
  18. ejazr

ejazr Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Malegaon bomb blast: Purohit had no orders to infiltrate Abhinav Bharat, finds Army probe - Indian Express

19. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

At this stage anything coming out of NIA is going to look very suspicious. NIA has been made to look like a bumbling idiot who has been blindly following orders of it's political masters.

There is more to this case than meets the eye.

20. KS

Cases are sub-judice. Innocent until proven guilty.

Propaganda. First of all there was no womb that was ripped out -- that was basically a rumor spread by yours truly [Arundati Roy] saying someone told her and till date that charge has not been proved.

Same goes for the second accusation -- it was a communal riot -- pure and simple -- provoked by the burning alive of 59 Hindus by a fanatic muslim mob. Hindus killed Muslims in places they were in majority and Muslims killed HIndus in places they were in majority.

Read these and clear your mind sir --

The Hindu : National : Foetus was intact in Naroda-Patiya victim: doctor

Inhuman rights : STATES - India Today

It is these baseless info like your post that actually achieves the opposite task of making people insensitive to small things when people discover that the info provided was infact a propaganda and not the truth.

I have already made clear in the previous post that Hindu fanaticism does exist -- but not Hindu terrorism.

+ 1.....

skumar7777 likes this.
  21. Bhadra

Bhadra Defence Professionals Defence Professionals Senior Member

Re: General Bikram Singh reversing every decision of his predecessor ?

So far not even a shred of evidence against Lt Col Purohit or why is languishing in jail uncharged and untried ??