Country flag
Two versions of Seating cabins for Mil helli's offered

Express

Luxury

for Soldiers
Ordinary service

Immanuel

Country flag
Mi-17 is indeed way too much for VVIP,no need of ordering the more expensive Ec725 family and invite a whole new set of logistical headaches. We have a large enough fleet for the Mi-17 to cater to the need of the all VVIPs, for local CMs, a few Dhruvs or LUHs in the future are more than enough.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I'm sorry to tell you this but Mi17 is not stately for VVIP duty. Better you induct Dhruvs for that duty.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Mil-17 is more rugged. You cannot go to war with dainty damsels. What is Caracal? The EC225? Has it seen so many wars over so many generations and geographies and modifications like the Mil-17? If I were to be rescued from a city under a seize, and I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the Mil-17. EC225 is an unproven platform.
EC225 is the civilian version. EC725 Caracal has seen combat in Afghanistan, Mali and done SAR with the Navy off Libya. It is the evolution of the SA330 Puma and Super Puma which has seen combat with France in every conflict we are ever in and various forces across the globe.

No helicopter has caused the death of more soldiers than the Mi-17. It is a proven death trap.

pmaitra

No helicopter has caused the death of more soldiers than the Mi-17. It is a proven death trap.
In other words, Mil-17 has seen extensive use, while EC225 minimal. You really do not understand percentages, do you?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
In other words, Mil-17 has seen extensive use, while EC225 minimal. You really do not understand percentages, do you?
It has seen extensive use in deveopling countries yet it can't achieve FAA or EASA safety certs. :herp:

Last edited:

pmaitra

It has seen extensive use in deveopling countries yet it can't achieve FAA or EASA safety certs. :herp:
I do not really care about safety certificates. With the amount of use Mil-17 has seen, all over the world, including by the US Army in Afghanistan, it really does not need a safety certificate. Safety certificate is required for a sales pitch for unproven platforms.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I do not really care about safety certificates. With the amount of use Mil-17 has seen, all over the world, including by the US Army in Afghanistan, it really does not need a safety certificate. Safety certificate is required for a sales pitch for unproven platforms.
The US Army doesn't use the Mi-17. It is on order for the Afghans so the US can stay on good terms with Russkies to keep open supply lines. It really does need certification if it ever wants to be sold to the West. It is a budget helo designed for developing countries that don't care about safety. It is perfect for Indian VIPs you want dead.

pmaitra

The US Army doesn't use the Mi-17. It is on order for the Afghans so the US can stay on good terms with Russkies to keep open supply lines. It really does need certification if it ever wants to be sold to the West. It is a budget helo designed for developing countries that don't care about safety. It is perfect for Indian VIPs you want dead.
The US Army uses Mil-17 (on various missions), Mil-24/35 (for training), and Mil-26 (on lease/rent). It's just that they don't paint "USAF" on these helos. That is the only difference.

You mentioned noise. If you want a less noisy and safe airplane, then you need to go back to the Il-62 over many other modern airplanes, which are supposedly certified and better, on paper i.e.. As I said, I don't give more importance to certification over real life use.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Ecuadorian-President Dhruv

Interior design based on customer choice..
ALH itself is quite an top notch, One of the best machines in its class..

1. Glass cockpit.
2. Terrain Radar.
3. Radar warning receiver.
4. Chaff and flair is available.
5. Satcom can be install.
6. Pressurized AC cabin.
7. Space for refreshment

Indian VIP don't deserve top notch helicopter an ALH is more than enough.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
The US Army uses Mil-17 (on various missions), Mil-24/35 (for training), and Mil-26 (on lease/rent). It's just that they don't paint "USAF" on these helos. That is the only difference.

You mentioned noise. If you want a less noisy and safe airplane, then you need to go back to the Il-62 over many other modern airplanes, which are supposedly certified and better, on paper i.e.. As I said, I don't give more importance to certification over real life use.
The only use the US Army gets out of it is Red Force training, and those have been heavily modified to meet safety requirements. It is a modification the Russians are unable to give. That is the difference.

I mentioned alot of things and the EC725 is superior to the Mi-17 in all aspects. You don't give importance to anything that matters, like safety of the crew and passengers, performance, maintenance or certifications. Real life use has shown it is hard to maintain and operate in battle conditions. Assad lost an entire airbase full of them because they couldn't get them serviced to fly out or get others to supply the base to save it because pilots were afraid of getting shot down by bullets.

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

@Armand2REP, the Mil-17 was used in the Jaffna University air-drop. This is one example that you should read up on.

Last edited by a moderator:

shom

There will be no kick backs .. through that channel....
Now our govt is in dubious situation in dropping the Augusta wetland deal,,, Khurshid is Against dropping the deal and says he does not want to let this issue mar our defense preparedness ,,,,,

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles